Online PC Masters - scam

Hi All,

if you want to hear my story read below, if not, read the last line.

Let me start by stating I am in fact quite computer literate, in fact it's my job to be, as I work with both servers and desktops and security is a big factor,

So I am sitting at my PC and get a international phone call, expecting a call centre I pick up and get some guy from "Online PC Masters" oow

He tells me that my pc has reported problems to Microsoft and he will fix it.. Great!

He asks me to goto teamviewer's website (a remote control software, that I use with some of my own clients)

So I load up my virtual system (that I use for analysing things like virus, etc) and follow his instructions, once his into my (virtual) system another guy takes over the call, he (after a few typos) managers to load up event viewer and points out all these errors.. (bring print .. my VM doesn't have a printer) and DHCP,
I said but i don't have a printer.. he assures me this is still a problem, i ask "what's this dhcp thing" he tells me that, thats what reported the problem to Microsoft and the system is corrupted, and that's why the system is running slow!
!!!!!!!

Now.. the VM wasn't running slow in fact due to minimum amount of installs and the fact its restored back to a basic install allot of the time, it is quite fast..!
So I said but the internet seams fast.. he then tells me that's not the problem,
okay..

He then goes to ASO (Advanced System Optimizer) website and downloads a trial and installs it an runs it, so show me the problems and yes a few do appear
5 junk files
0 drivers problems
137 cookies
0 maleware
and
78 Registry -- okay this may of been a good one BUT
considering most of then where *MRU it's hardly a problem

*MRU is "most recently used" the recent file lists used by some apps

He then tells me all my problems can be fixed for £85.95 per year!
I question this and he tells me the Analyse is free but to fix it i have to pay,

I say, okay but all you have done is ran a program, what else do i get for £85.95, he tells me this will stop any further problem and its really and if i don't fix them i'll need to get a new PC..

At this point I'm bored and I also had a work mate on MSN chat who was giggling whenever I said I was non-technical,

So i then tell the guy that I am in fact quite technical i don't see anything that would cause the PC to any real problems, in fact i would rate them as recommended fixes but not critical and could he re-confirm what I actually get for my £85.95, considering the software only costs £27.24,

He says well the DHCP, i interrupt saying "couldn't connect to the router a month ago because the router was down"
He stops talking,

To sum up,
1. if someone calls you and tells you to install XYZ, just hang up!
Press any other key to continue.

Comments

• If I ever come across one of these guys I'm going to have fun with them too!
    If my post helped you in anyway, please hit the "Thanks" button! Please note any advice I give is followed at your own risk!
  • Lil306
    Lil306 Posts: 1,692
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MadTechie wrote: »
    Hi All,

if you want to hear my story read below, if not, read the last line.

Let me start by stating I am in fact quite computer literate, in fact it's my job to be, as I work with both servers and desktops and security is a big factor,

So I am sitting at my PC and get a international phone call, expecting a call centre I pick up and get some guy from "Online PC Masters" oow

He tells me that my pc has reported problems to Microsoft and he will fix it.. Great!

He asks me to goto teamviewer's website (a remote control software, that I use with some of my own clients)

So I load up my virtual system (that I use for analysing things like virus, etc) and follow his instructions, once his into my (virtual) system another guy takes over the call, he (after a few typos) managers to load up event viewer and points out all these errors.. (bring print .. my VM doesn't have a printer) and DHCP,
    I said but i don't have a printer.. he assures me this is still a problem, i ask "what's this dhcp thing" he tells me that, thats what reported the problem to Microsoft and the system is corrupted, and that's why the system is running slow!
    !!!!!!!

Now.. the VM wasn't running slow in fact due to minimum amount of installs and the fact its restored back to a basic install allot of the time, it is quite fast..!
    So I said but the internet seams fast.. he then tells me that's not the problem,
    okay..

He then goes to ASO (Advanced System Optimizer) website and downloads a trial and installs it an runs it, so show me the problems and yes a few do appear
    5 junk files
    0 drivers problems
    137 cookies
    0 maleware
    and
    78 Registry -- okay this may of been a good one BUT
    considering most of then where *MRU it's hardly a problem

*MRU is "most recently used" the recent file lists used by some apps

He then tells me all my problems can be fixed for £85.95 per year!
    I question this and he tells me the Analyse is free but to fix it i have to pay,

I say, okay but all you have done is ran a program, what else do i get for £85.95, he tells me this will stop any further problem and its really and if i don't fix them i'll need to get a new PC..

At this point I'm bored and I also had a work mate on MSN chat who was giggling whenever I said I was non-technical,

So i then tell the guy that I am in fact quite technical i don't see anything that would cause the PC to any real problems, in fact i would rate them as recommended fixes but not critical and could he re-confirm what I actually get for my £85.95, considering the software only costs £27.24,

He says well the DHCP, i interrupt saying "couldn't connect to the router a month ago because the router was down"
    He stops talking,

To sum up,
    1. if someone calls you and tells you to install XYZ, just hang up!

Something we aren't unaware of on this forum, but thumbs up you got one step further and managed to raise the stakes with a Virtual Machine

Now, who's going to be the next one to record it with screen recording software so we can watch it :D
    Owner of andrewhope.co.uk, hate cars and love them

Working towards DFD

HSBC Credit Card - £2700 / £7500
    AA Loans - (cleared £9700)
  • spg_SCOTT
    spg_SCOTT Posts: 171 Forumite
    Wonder what happens when they encounter someone with linux...

There is a linux version of teamviewer as well...and well...If I ever get that call I think I will start up a linux VM and let them have fun with that...

It would be fun just to listen to them as they connect and realise that it is not windows :rotfl:

I'm hoping to hear '...Something is seriously wrong with your pc...' :eek:

I know you can record with Teamviewer but it plays only within teamviewer IIRC...

I'm just wondering if the relevant companies know how people are using their programs for these scams, they could have problems in the future with those tricked by this...
    -Scott-

“There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!” Richard Feynman
  • Someone in the office took a call a quick google of the company name gave me this.

When told we use Linux - they hung up!
  • Russel245
    Russel245 Posts: 145 Forumite
    If somebody calls me and I don't know who they are I hang up lol.

I have little to no faith in cold callers.
  • aarrgghh
    aarrgghh Posts: 147 Forumite
    You mention this guys typos. You have a few of your own I see. "managers" manages. "allot" a lot. "all you have done is ran a program" run.
    Not being picky but it makes me wonder about your story,
  • Lil306 wrote: »
    Now, who's going to be the next one to record it with screen recording software so we can watch it :D

That I'd love to see!!! :)
    Useful is beautiful
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 2:17PM
  • I too have had a call with Online PC masters, and my PC is knackered so I string the conversation out for a while whilst doing a quick check on the internet. Fortunately this website came up and I didn't download anything. I became a little suspicious when she said she was called Amanda Kennedy but spoke with a very foreign sounding accent.

However as My PC is knackered, it won't start up, starts up by itself and when it does start up I can't open a browser or run AVG. I am concerned that this company could have downloaded something on to my Laptop to read my files or have they just got lucky and are ringing from a call list.

Has anybody ideas if I can fix it by buying an off the shelf pakcage like Norton, or do I need to take it to the tech guys.

In addition this Online PC masters tricksters, should the office of fair trading be dealing with these half wits.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm slightly upset I miss out on all the fun to be had with these guys by not bothering to connect a phone to my landline (used for BB only)..... oh well :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure