PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

stardrops in a vax?

Options
Does anyone know if I can use stardrops in my vax to wash the carpets? It would be much chepaer than the usual shampoo for these machines.
Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200

Comments

• Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Options
    There are those that have, but be careful, Stardrops is very sudsy. You'll need fabric conditioner in the waste tank to kill the suds!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much fabric conditioner do you put in?
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually, I just use a large sprinkle of household salt to kill suds.
  • aimeelister
    Options
    Ive used Stardrops in my Vax and it works better than the vax cleaner your meant to use!! I put the same amount of stardrops as your meant to use of the vax cleaner and then put a dash of the economy fabric conditioner in the collector. In fact i forgot to put the conditioner in last time i cleaned the carpets and it was a bit frothy but still worked fine!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ive used it in mine too, way cheaper :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • fruit-loop
    Options
    I have a bissell rather than a vax but I use star drops in it. IMHO it works far better than the expensive cleaners bissell sell.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have put stardrops in my bissell and it worked fine.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ghost
    Ghost Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Am I the only stardrops virgin?

What can you use if for and, besides Tesco, where else can you buy it?

For those of you that use it in your vax wet & dry machine, do you have an upright vax or the cylinder one?

"He who asks questions cannot avoid the answers"
  • jos22
    jos22 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    Ghost

Plenty of reading here on uses for stardrops http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=172073&highlight=stardrops

Seems to be available everywhere Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Wilko.

I have used in a cylinder Vax type cleaner - I forgot the salt in the collector so had plenty of suds.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Another convert here :D I spent a forune on carpet cleaners til I read on here about stardrops..I used a capful of Lenor (with added fabreze) in with 3 caps of stardrops and its brought my carpets up better than anything I've ever used :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure