Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    rules for holidaying abroad on income support
    • #1
    • 29th Jan 05, 9:46 AM
    rules for holidaying abroad on income support 29th Jan 05 at 9:46 AM
    just want to clarify the situation for a friend we have conflicting information.

    Does she have a right to go on holiday with her husband and children and NOT have her income support stopped? Her husband is on DLA middle rate care and she receives carers benefit, as well as income support. help with mortgage interest and couuncil tax etc ...... Children at school.....

    She believes she can go abroad for up to 4 weeks with absolutely no change in her benefits claim.

    We on the other hand were informed by the ba in 2001 if we were to go abroad we would have our benefit suspended until re entry to the uk,which i thought was fair enough and then the claim would start again from where it left off, HOWEVER the housing part of our claim (income support) ie the mortgage and council tax would start as a new claim and therefore the mortgage interest would not be paid for xx? weeks, same with council tax not sure how long that would take to be restarted....the mortgage interest part put us off going!!!!

    i would love to take my children to disneyland paris, but we would loose the house as we couldnt pay full mortgage for 26 weeks :O((((
    trying hard to count my blessings while surrounded by idiots :O)
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,074Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter