Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > rules for holidaying abroad on income support (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
rules for holidaying abroad on income support
Closed Thread
Views: 39,628
# 1
tk
Old 29-01-2005, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question rules for holidaying abroad on income support

just want to clarify the situation for a friend we have conflicting information.

Does she have a right to go on holiday with her husband and children and NOT have her income support stopped? Her husband is on DLA middle rate care and she receives carers benefit, as well as income support. help with mortgage interest and couuncil tax etc ...... Children at school.....

She believes she can go abroad for up to 4 weeks with absolutely no change in her benefits claim.

We on the other hand were informed by the ba in 2001 if we were to go abroad we would have our benefit suspended until re entry to the uk,which i thought was fair enough and then the claim would start again from where it left off, HOWEVER the housing part of our claim (income support) ie the mortgage and council tax would start as a new claim and therefore the mortgage interest would not be paid for xx? weeks, same with council tax not sure how long that would take to be restarted....the mortgage interest part put us off going!!!!

confusing!
i would love to take my children to disneyland paris, but we would loose the house as we couldnt pay full mortgage for 26 weeks :O((((
trying hard to count my blessings while surrounded by idiots :O)
# 2
Spendless
Old 29-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi

I'm sure someone will be along who can answer your query better than i can, but might it depend on what benefits you are on? ie are you and friend on different benefits?

I'm sure i read something similar to what you were told when i was claiming JSA in 1998 (after being made redundant). I had to sign on every 2 weeks so my absense wouldn't have gone unnoticed, not sure if you so this for IS though.

Does this just apply to a holiday abroad though? And would you be able to go for say one week without anything being affected?
# 3
Ted_Hutchinson
Old 29-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

From DWP income support website
If your stay abroad is temporary, you may be able to get Income Support for the first 4 weeks you are abroad. You can only do this if you are unlikely to be abroad for more than 52 weeks, would still qualify for Income Support if you had stayed in the United Kingdom, and one of the following applies to you:

* you are incapable of work because of sickness or disability and you have gone abroad only for treatment for that sickness or disability
* you have been incapable of work for 364 days when you go abroad, you get a pensioner premium or disability premium for a partner who is going abroad with you.

You may be able to get Income Support for the first 8 weeks if:

* you, or you and a member of your family, are going abroad only to help a dependant who is going abroad for medical treatment from a qualified person, and
* you are unlikely to be abroad for more than 52 weeks, and you would still qualify for Income Support if you had stayed in the UK.

Although I suspect many people risk taking time abroad while on Income Support, they are relying on no one reporting them. I am aware of one case where a person suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder took a winter break to sunnier climes in order to benefit her health and was in very serious trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted_Hutchinson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Spendless
Old 13-02-2005, 4:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Bump for jellyhead
# 5
atrekkie22
Old 02-04-2008, 1:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

[quote=Ted_Hutchinson;250687]From DWP income support website

* you have been incapable of work for 364 days when you go abroad, you get a pensioner premium or disability premium for a partner who is going abroad with you.

** (Snipped this post as i just need to ask a question). Im claiming severe disability premium for aspergers syndrome, does this apply "4 weeks abroad without penalty" if the IS claimant is rec the disability premium?

Alexis
# 6
moggys
Old 08-04-2008, 9:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

i'm on income support and incapacity benefit just read this i was a bit worried as i went abroad in feb 08 for 1 week did'nt know i had to inform job centre plus phoned this morning lady said thanks for letting them no she did'nt have my ni number but as it was only for 1 week no problems
# 7
robnye
Old 08-04-2008, 9:41 AM

so how does this work.... i work fulltime and my wife part time.... yet we cant afford to holiday abroad.......?
smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to robnye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
krisskross
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnye View Post
so how does this work.... i work fulltime and my wife part time.... yet we cant afford to holiday abroad.......?
Ask Gordon Brown. I think he wants the whole nation on Government handouts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisskross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Larumbelle
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 AM

[quote=atrekkie22;9825897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson View Post
From DWP income support website

** (Snipped this post as i just need to ask a question). Im claiming severe disability premium for aspergers syndrome, does this apply "4 weeks abroad without penalty" if the IS claimant is rec the disability premium?

Alexis
Alexis, best thing to do is speak to the disability advisor at your local jobcentre or to the income support department. Make a note of who you spoke to, the date and time, and what they said, just in case

Robnye, go find a better target. It's easy enough round here. Firstly, you don't know what kind of sacrifices OP and their family have made to get the money together, or over what period of time.
Second, I'm assuming you and your partner have your health as you do not mention receiving any DLA or similar- if so, trust me, you don't want to envy OP too much.
Thirdly, this thread is a couple of years old. The OP have been, gone, and possibly dealt with the consequences by now.

I agree, plenty of people who don't deserve handouts get them, but it's not the genuinely sick and disabled.
Don't be taken in by the debt vultures - get free and impartial debt advice instead!
CCCS - 0800 138 1111 | National Debtline - 0800 0808 4000 | Citizens Advice Bureau

The Following User Says Thank You to Larumbelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
alwaysskint96
Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnye View Post
Really??? Im going to majorca for a week at the end of month- its costing me 53 for HB hotel

If i earned that little working that I couldnt afford that then Id be majorly peed off
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alwaysskint96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
arlybarly
Old 09-04-2008, 2:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysskint96 View Post
Really??? Im going to majorca for a week at the end of month- its costing me 53 for HB hotel

If i earned that little working that I couldnt afford that then Id be majorly peed off
well, after paying full council tax, mortgage, school meals, prescriptions, dentist ect i have to really budget to go on holiday anywhere never mind abroad. im so glad that you can afford foreign holidays on mMY CASH while we will probably go camping in the summer as thats the only time me and oh get time off together.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to arlybarly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Larumbelle
Old 09-04-2008, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlybarly View Post
well, after paying full council tax, mortgage, school meals, prescriptions, dentist ect i have to really budget to go on holiday anywhere never mind abroad. im so glad that you can afford foreign holidays on mMY CASH while we will probably go camping in the summer as thats the only time me and oh get time off together.
Oh get over yourself. I'd love to sit and chat about what I can and cannot afford, whose cash it is, who should be given benefits and what they should spend it on, but this isn't the place to do it. Do you know that alwaysskint96 is a benefits scrounger who deserves abuse? Do you know that he/she is holidaying on YOUR CASH? How do you know that people on benefits haven't paid into the system for years and years before suffering a misfortune?

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO COMMENT ON BENEFITS POLICY. It's about helping people to get their entitlement within the rules that are there. Discussion Time is the place for this kind of thing, as well you know.
Don't be taken in by the debt vultures - get free and impartial debt advice instead!
CCCS - 0800 138 1111 | National Debtline - 0800 0808 4000 | Citizens Advice Bureau

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Larumbelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ellymk
Old 09-04-2008, 5:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

why would you want to bother telling IS that you were going on holiday, I dont see why that should affect anything, you still have to run the house. Lucky she can afford it :confused: , being self employed there is no chance of me taking a month off!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ellymk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
alison999
Old 09-04-2008, 6:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

well said.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alison999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
alwaysskint96
Old 09-04-2008, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
HUH? Im not using your cash thaks very much!!!!

UInless you count the CB and CTC that I get.
And Im self employed and a single parent so dont need to worry about OH taking time off work LOL
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alwaysskint96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
alwaysskint96
Old 09-04-2008, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

And I bet by the time you pay for meals etc your camping may well end up more expensive than 50 odd quid
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alwaysskint96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
arlybarly
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

oh dear hit a few raw nerves here havent i, if you dont want me posting about hyolidays DONT RUB IN MY FACE YOUR OFF ABROAD ON MY MONEY!!!!!!!

SILVERCHARMING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT DOLE SCROUNGERS SO READ BEFORE YOU POST AND IF YOU DID PUT THIS IN DISCUSSION TIME IM SURE THAT YOUD HAVE COMMENTS THE SAME AS I HAVE MADE.

YOU GET OVER YOURSELF
# 18
arlybarly
Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Should Have Also Said If Claiment Is Genuine Then They Are Entitled To Help When Times Are Tough, Just Try Not To Rub It In !!!!!
# 19
alwaysskint96
Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
oh dear hit a few raw nerves here havent i, if you dont want me posting about hyolidays DONT RUB IN MY FACE YOUR OFF ABROAD ON MY MONEY!!!!!!!

SILVERCHARMING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT DOLE SCROUNGERS SO READ BEFORE YOU POST AND IF YOU DID PUT THIS IN DISCUSSION TIME IM SURE THAT YOUD HAVE COMMENTS THE SAME AS I HAVE MADE.

YOU GET OVER YOURSELF
But you did insinute that my bargain holiday was at your expense!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alwaysskint96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
sealady
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just get rather peeved when you hear about people going on holiday who are claiming benefits which is paying off their mortgage and and council tax when I am not even able to afford to get on the property ladder and when I am working and paying taxes.

Me thinks something is wrong here!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sealady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread