A New Age (eh?)

Options
Today I contacted a Building Society which I opened an ISA account with £3000 some 8 years ago.
The company had been taken over by a Spanish Bank (Santander) and my enquiry was about moving my ISA over to a more profitiable account in their product line.

I was told that my present account was receiving 0.1% per annum interest rate and that the account was dormant, since there had been no recent activity and no further transactions could be done.

When I pointed out that no recent transactions had been done was because it was a savings account and I didn't require any money out or wanted to put any more in.... (I do everyday stuff like everybody else, on a current or credit card account)...so what's the problem?

Also that it is not possible under law to add money to an old ISA, since they are renewed on a year by year basis...so what are they getting at?

After an hour of listening to !!!!!!!! and getting passed from person to person who asked for the same details but could do nothing"since there had been no recent activity" and (costing 10p per minute), I finally lost it and told them I just wanted to close the account and a cheque sent to me at my registered address.

I was told this was not possible either...

I would have to come in person to their office (which would mean losing half a day's work since it is a distance away), with proof of my identity...either a current passport or new-style photo driving licence.

When I said that I did not have a current passport (since I don't travel these days), nor a photo driving license, but just the old non-photo original one I got decades ago....they said that in that case the account would have to remain dormant...since I could be "anybody".

When I pointed out that my phone number (which they saw on their screen) was the same one I had registered with and was requesting a cheque in the same name sent to the same address the original account was opened with...they maintained that it was not possible "for security reasons".

When I asked if I could email or fax any documents they requested, they said that this could not be done and I would have to appear in person.

When I explained that I actually opened the account by post, so nobody had ever seen me in person at their office, they said sorry but those are the rules.

When I explained again that I do not have photo ID, and it is not a requirement in law to have a passport or driving licence in the UK, I was told to bring in a Utility Bill...although they could not guarantee this would be sufficient, since they need a Passport or Photo Driving Licence.

So I asked if I had to give my neighbour my account documentation plus a utility bill, then he would be able to withdraw all the money in cash, but they would refuse to send a cheque in the name of the registered account holder at the registered address?

They said, yes..possibly...but that they had "security cameras" in the building and that they were doing it "for my own protection" and I should be commending them on their vigilance...

So I finally asked that if I had to take a half-day off work to bring in some documentation, would it be acceptable?

I was told that they could not guarantee that.

So what if they were not happy with Utility Bills, Birth Certficate, NI number card, Government/Council letters?

Then the account would remain dormant at 0.1% interest and I would have no access to it, I was told.

Well...no wonder the Banks are making record profits.
It doesn't take a genius to borrow money at 0.1%-0.5% and lend it out at 7%

I will go in to see them....and will speak my business in the loudest voice I have so everyone can hear...and refuse to leave the building until I leave with the dough or they get Security....

Count on it.

SANTANDER BANK SUCKS!

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    oldperro wrote: »
    Today I contacted a Building Society which I opened an ISA account with £3000 some 8 years ago.
    The company had been taken over by a Spanish Bank (Santander) and my enquiry was about moving my ISA over to a more profitiable account in their product line.

They have the best new ISA rate (3.5%) if that's any good for you :D

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • oldperro
    oldperro Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Well...not quite Penelope, since they will not allow me access to it.:D

At 60, and experience with Stocks, Pensions and ISA's... I'm beginning to think money stashed under the mattress is the best option these days....
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    Cant you just arrange an ISA transfer to someone else. They may be able to unlock your money if you can satisfy their security.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would think that a transfer may be the best option.
    Find an ISA provider who accepts transfers in, fill in their transfer form and leave it to them. They will obviously require proof of your existence which in many cases will be done electronically with voter registration data and the like. I have done many transfers without problems.
    Incidentally many people here despair at the Santander Group.
  • oldperro
    Options
    Thanks David and Ray.

I asked if this was possible and was told, yes, I could do that if I wanted to.
    However another Customer Service Advisor told me it was NOT possible, because the account was blocked and no transactions at all could be done on it.

Some more amusing Pearls of Wisdom from Santander's Customer Service Department (Circumlocution Dept).........

One "advisor" told me the best way to unfreeze an account is to start putting small amounts of money into it, effectively "re-activating" it..Then I could move or withdraw the whole lot..
    When I pointed out that you cannot pay money into an old ISA, but only one which is open for the current year, up to the maximum allowance... she seemed quite surprised.
    (Apparently she didn't know this!)

When discussing the ID problem with another "advisor", I happened to mention I was 60 years old....."No problem", he said. "Just take your State Pension Card or Documentation with you..."

I pointed out that in the UK, the State Pension age for a man is 65.

"Oh", he said.

Ah well...at least I've helped a little with Santander's staff training....:(
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • oldperro
    Options
    Well, I did mention that to them, but they simply said I could do as I please.

By the way, I phoned again about the transfer to another ISA provider method and they confirmed that any transfer would be blocked until their conditions were met.

A friend of mine who lives in Spain just wrote to me to say that this sort of hassle is everyday life in Spain and is the reason why most people prefer to avoid having anything to do with Banks and deal in cash only.

In fact he said it is relatively commonplace to see small businesses displaying a sign saying "No Credit Cards or Cheques accepted".

He said he was quite surprised that Santander had carried it's business practices over to the UK.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I did mention that to them, but they simply said I could do as I please.

By the way, I phoned again about the transfer to another ISA provider method and they confirmed that any transfer would be blocked until their conditions were met.

A friend of mine who lives in Spain just wrote to me to say that this sort of hassle is everyday life in Spain and is the reason why most people prefer to avoid having anything to do with Banks and deal in cash only.

In fact he said it is relatively commonplace to see small businesses displaying a sign saying "No Credit Cards or Cheques accepted".

He said he was quite surprised that Santander had carried it's business practices over to the UK.
    This isn't anything to do with Spanish business practises but rather the FSA and government imposing very stringent rules on identity checks.

Perhaps you could try writing a letter to Santander's complaints department stating that you don't have any of their specified ID available.
  • xiox
    xiox Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    This isn't anything to do with Spanish business practises but rather the FSA and government imposing very stringent rules on identity checks.
    No it's not. Many other banks allow you to operate and open accounts by post without visiting them. Most of the time when a bank says there's a stringent set of rules, then it just means they are too lazy to do anything about their terrible procedures.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I was told this was not possible either...

I would have to come in person to their office (which would mean losing half a day's work since it is a distance away), with proof of my identity...either a current passport or new-style photo driving licence.

It could be worse: they could have insisted you go to Head Office in Santander.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport