IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking Ticket from CMS UK Ltd
Views: 25,891
# 1
Marina Baker
Old 19-03-2010, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking Ticket from CMS UK Ltd

I received a parking ticket for 80 whilst parking at Robin Park Retail Park last Friday for 55 minutes. Ticket says "For parking outside trading times". It was my first visit to Robin Park and the shops were closing on my arrival but I was unaware of these parking regulations and took my son for a Burger King meal. There is a sign saying no parking outside retail hours but I never saw it. I have appealed but CMS say I still need to pay the fine. If I pay within 14 days I only need to pay 50! A solicitor friend says to ignore the fine and any forthcoming correspondence from CMS. However, Trading Standards have told me to pay it. Can anyone advise. What is the worst possible scenario if I don't pay this fine please?

Last edited by Marina Baker; 19-03-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Missed a necessary word
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
trisontana
Old 19-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Your solicitor friend is correct (apart from calling it a "fine), just ignore. As for Trading Standards , on this matter they haven't got a clue. From now on do not contact the company again and ignore any correspondence from them. The worst thing that will happen to you will be that your recycling bin will fill up faster than usual from all the stupid letters you might receive from the parking company.
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
fb1969
Old 19-03-2010, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This thread should answer your questions http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1690419

Your solicitor friend knows what they are talking about, and is correct. Sadly Trading Standards, with the exception of Lancashire www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/lancashire/con1item.cgi?file=ADV0004.txt, don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited by fb1969; 19-03-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Beaten to it by slow typing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fb1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
trisontana
Old 19-03-2010, 12:45 PM

I have just looked at this company's web site . They certainly like the word "solutions", the whole website is peppered with that overused word.

On the "appeals" page they have this:-

Lodging an appeal is not a delay of payment. If the initial fine is not paid within 14 days the fee will rise.

Of course it's not a fine, and they are breaking the law by calling it so.
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
RobertoMoir
Old 19-03-2010, 1:27 PM

When it comes to parking issues like this, trading standards don't know their backside from their elbow. You may as well take advice from a drunken tramp as them.

Your solicitor friend is quite correct.
Former Bailiff.
I'm here to help but I reserve the right to be blunt and to the point rather than sugar-coat my replies.

The problem with consolidation loans is the absurd idea that "more credit" is the answer to too much credit.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobertoMoir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
DaveF327
Old 19-03-2010, 4:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hang on.. if you took your son for a Burger King meal, then wouldn't Burger King be open and trading? If so, then you have indeed parked during Burker King's "trading times" so shouldn't be in any breach of contract. I'd check the signage again to clarify exactly whose trading times they refer to, but like others have said, don't pay. The clarification above just gives you that extra ammunition in the unlikely event they take it further.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveF327 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Coblcris
Old 19-03-2010, 5:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As the outlet was open and the poster bought goods there it was de facto within trading hours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coblcris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
trisontana
Old 19-03-2010, 5:22 PM

Earlier today I emailed CMS asking them to tell me which particular statute law is being broken (hence their use of the word "fine") when somebody parks on private land.

Although I received this by return :- "We have received your email and will deal with it promptly", as yet they haven't replied. I wonder why?

Last edited by trisontana; 19-03-2010 at 5:29 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
peter_the_piper
Old 19-03-2010, 5:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've ask a couple of ppc's this question and have yet to receive a reply. Maybe they are still looking for it?
Confucius Say...Man without grass in garden looks forlorn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
bromsgrovebarry
Old 19-03-2010, 8:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisontana View Post
Earlier today I emailed CMS asking them to tell me which particular statute law is being broken (hence their use of the word "fine") when somebody parks on private land.

Although I received this by return :- "We have received your email and will deal with it promptly", as yet they haven't replied. I wonder why?
I would give them 48 hours to reply and if they fail to do so, give them a fine of 200 with an early settlement discount. Threaten them with bailiffs and CCJs for non payment.
Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
robredz
Old 19-03-2010, 8:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Report them to trading standards and the police for impersonating a statutory authority. No seriously they are committing criminal offences by trying to pass off a dubiously contractual relationship as a fine, as no private company or individual can "fine" another, merely send an invoice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robredz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bromsgrovebarry
Old 19-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Trading Standards are inept when it comes to dealing with PPC scum. They even advise the victims of these scammers to pay their 'fines' and appeal later. CAB are no better.
Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Coupon-mad
Old 19-03-2010, 11:07 PM

This is an old old old thread.

If you are reading this after 2013 you are utterly wasting your time.

Please go to the current forum and learn about the current advice - see my signature which tells you where to click to find CURRENT advice!
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT EITHER AS THE ADVICE HAS CHANGED A YEAR AGO!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-03-2014 at 11:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Sir Roger deLodger
Old 19-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robredz View Post
Report them to trading standards and the police for impersonating a statutory authority. No seriously they are committing criminal offences by trying to pass off a dubiously contractual relationship as a fine, as no private company or individual can "fine" another, merely send an invoice.
We know. Unfortunately Trading Standards don't, and the Old Bill think its "a civil matter Sir".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roger deLodger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
branstylad
Old 22-03-2010, 10:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default CMS parking notice

Hi,
I took my kids to Ribin Park Wigan on Saturday 20th March to go to the Empire Cinema. Couldn't get parked outside the cinema so parked on the retail park. On returning to my car after the film there was a parking notice from CMSUKltd under my wipers. It states "Parking attendant 51 Who had reasonablr cause to believe that the following parking contravention had occurred. Code 04 Exceeded Maximum Stay Limit.
You are therefore required to pay a penalty charge of 80 etc etc etc....

I have filled in there online appeal form against the charge (which from investigation appears to be only enforced on match days). As I have been using one of the facillities on Robin Park I believe I have no worries about the charge being cancelled?

However reading through various forums it seems that CMS reject all appeals.

What should I do if this is the outcome?

Ignore them, correspond or pay?

Thanks in advance.

Thought I might spend some time filling in online correspondence to them just to keep them busy

Maybe a good case for Dom To look into on one of his BBC programs?
# 16
bargepole
Old 22-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by branstylad View Post
Ignore them,
Absolutely ignore everything
Quote:
correspond
Complete waste of time
Quote:
or pay?
Never pay these scam artists a penny

Quote:
Maybe a good case for Dom To look into on one of his BBC programs?
"Dom's on the case" has already done a piece on this, which was complete and utterly misleading rubbish, and the subject of many complaints to the BBC by members here. Most so-called journalists just don't seem to get it that PPC "fines" are unenforceable.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 4. Lost 0. Adjourned 1
The Following User Says Thank You to bargepole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Coupon-mad
Old 22-03-2010, 11:34 AM

This is an old old old thread.

If you are reading this after 2013 you are utterly wasting your time.

Please go to the current forum and learn about the current advice - see my signature which tells you where to click to find CURRENT advice!
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT EITHER AS THE ADVICE HAS CHANGED A YEAR AGO!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-03-2014 at 11:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
branstylad
Old 22-03-2010, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the prompt feedback.
I will take your advice and ignore them, however I will post the response to my appeal when it arrives on the forum.
I think we know what it will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to branstylad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Marina Baker
Old 28-03-2010, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Branstylad en all
I am so thankful to all for this forum - it has really put my mind at ease - my threatograms should start soon for filing in my recycling bin.
Thanks again to all who have contributed.
Marina Baker
The Following User Says Thank You to Marina Baker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
branstylad
Old 29-03-2010, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This is the response I have received from my appeal:-

"We are writing in correspondence to your letter with regards to a parking
charge notice that was issued against your vehicle at 16:23.

We have checked our records which show that you had parked in a Maximum Stay
Area, and exceeded the allowed time limit.

There are Warning Signs all around the car park warning you of the rules of
the area that you are parking in, and that by not adhering to these rules
you may result in your vehicle being issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.
Unfortunately the reason you had a ticket issued against you was because you
had not parked in accordance to the rules of that area.

Whilst we understand and sympathise with you as to why you parked where you
did we are satisfied that your ticket was issued correctly.

May we take this opportunity to remind you that you have 14 days from the
day the Parking Charge Notice was issued to pay at the reduced rate of 50,
after which payment increases to 80."

Just getting the recycling bin ready
The Following User Says Thank You to branstylad For This Useful Post: Show me >>