Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 398
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 5th Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    stoneman
    Sorry didn't think about that. We are staying at the Edison in Times Square. I konw it will be busy but wanted to be as central as possible.
    Originally posted by foxybabe
    We've just come back from staying in Times Square. Never again. Restaurants are expensive, even Olive Garden, they are digging up a lot of the roads in the area so there's masses of congestion. The crowds are insane.

We got a shuttle bus which was £35 one way for the 2 of us, but after our first day there got the hang of the subways. As long as you don't have lots of luggage you'll be fine with the underground. AirTran to Jamaca, then E train takes you straight to Times Square in about 35 minutes. One way will be a one time purchase of the metro card for $1. Then $5 for the air train and $2.75 for a subway ticket.
    We loaded our ticket up with money because you get bonus added to it if you purchase over a certain amount.

We nearly got caught going back to the airport. From 50th street the E train looks like a downtown to Jamaca but it's an uptown, luckily we asked.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 5th Sep 16, 8:28 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    stoneman
    Tip for those going to Top of the Rock. Just go to bar 65 at the rainbow rooms. Access is via mezzanine level at Rockefeller centre. 2 floors below the observation deck but the same view for free.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 5th Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    4 day stay
    Me and my hubbie fly out to NYC in a few weeks for 4days. We arrive about 4pm. We are just getting a taxi to the Pennsylvania hotel.

Been looking at what we wanna do, these include Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller centre, 911 memorial, manhattan cruise, Staten Island ferry, Times Square, subway, plaza hotel (I'm home alone 2 daft) flat iron building, bus tour, broadway show, and Brooklyn bridge.

I know it's all about the planning and google maps will help me. Is there an app I can use to help plan? Will it be worth getting a city pass ticket for certain tourist things?

Any advice? Should I avoid anything of the above?

Thank you
    • laingn
    • By laingn 6th Sep 16, 9:08 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    laingn
    Hi

I first went to NYC in Dec 14 and heading back this December. The count down is on. We bought a city pass with hop on hop off bus access for 3 days which covered us most of the time we were there. It also gave with it access to a couple of tourist attractions. here is a link to the site https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/?aid=13&gclid=CM3_7a2k-s4CFQYSGwodioMP6w

We liked that we could get on and off the bus as much as we like which was great for shopping.

The other place which was great was woodbury common outlet shopping. You get a return bus pass to there its all designer outlet shops.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions/discounts/Woodbury-Common-Premium-Outlets-Short-Line-Coach-USA-Bus/?aid=98&gclid=COPc9OGk-s4CFe0y0wod62sKiQ

enjoy your holiday
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 9th Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    We have bought our 3 day pass but as we arrive in the Sunday around 6pm at the hotel, there is no point in using then as it's valid for 3 days regardless of when you first use it. May as well get our money's worth for whole days. I'm sure we can go get our bearings, food and see the park and of course strawberry fields.

Quick question however. We have purchased the esta.OH printed a copy of I never tho. I have a screen shot on my mobile. The reference is clear. Is that all I need?

Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Sep 16, 1:09 PM
    • 16,915 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    richardw
    Btw the La Compagnie flights from LTN are ending in September.
    If you have a booking after then you'll need them to re-route you.
    If you don't, apparently there are fares from £698 return for their premium product.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 9th Sep 16, 4:00 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    We have bought our 3 day pass but as we arrive in the Sunday around 6pm at the hotel, there is no point in using then as it's valid for 3 days regardless of when you first use it. May as well get our money's worth for whole days. I'm sure we can go get our bearings, food and see the park and of course strawberry fields.

Quick question however. We have purchased the esta.OH printed a copy of I never tho. I have a screen shot on my mobile. The reference is clear. Is that all I need?

Thanks
    Originally posted by mark_steps
    Ive never been asked to provide proof of my ESTA anytime Ive been to the states. I think its all linked into your passport number that you put on the application.

Ive always just handed my passport to the border control agent and just answered the usual questions and done fingerprints, etc.

What I would say is though, remember exactly what you have put on your ESTA because sometimes you might get an agent that likes to be very very specific. Its not that theyre trying to be awkward, theyre just making sure you are the person that filled out the application.
    • josie
    • By josie 13th Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 17,645 Thanks
    josie
    I've never been asked to provide it either, although it does say to print a copy, so we usually take it with us. You can always go back in and print it. Use the link on MSE to take you to the site.
    • BB88
    • By BB88 17th Sep 16, 12:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BB88
    Hi all... 96 days till we fly to New York for Christmas... Getting more excited every day! Got our passes sorted and booked a helicopter ride but wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to where to go for our Christmas dinner please?! Would like to try and book something if poss just so we know we're sorted. Staying at Omni Berkshire Place (E 52nd/Madison Ave) Thanks in advance xx
    • richardw
    • By richardw 17th Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    • 16,915 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    richardw
    Do you fancy somewhere like Virgil's BB88?
    • BB88
    • By BB88 17th Sep 16, 6:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BB88
    Will definitely try Virgil's one night as my OH and son love BBQ food but was looking at something a bit nicer for Christmas Day dinner?! Although also would like to go to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood.... Arrghh too many choices
    • richardw
    • By richardw 17th Sep 16, 6:50 PM
    • 16,915 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    richardw
    http://sarabethsrestaurants.com
    • BB88
    • By BB88 17th Sep 16, 10:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BB88
    Wow Sarabeths restaurants look gorgeous! I'm thinking the Central Park one ��
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 19th Sep 16, 10:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Been asked it flying from the middle east (saw someone get refused boarding Doha - Miami). Was asked in Singapore and Malaysia. Get asked by BA every time from the UK. Never been asked by United anywhere.

Why wouldn't you just take it.
    • surfboard2
    • By surfboard2 22nd Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 48,263 Thanks
    surfboard2
    Hi, i'm off to NYC within the next few days and thinking about how to get from the airport to the hotel.

We're happy to get the Airtrain + Subway and will each have one main suitcase.

Is there a bigger gate one can use like on the Tube if one has luggage/buggy e.t.c

Thanks.
    • minimacka
    • By minimacka 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,627 Thanks
    minimacka
    Me and my hubbie fly out to NYC in a few weeks for 4days. We arrive about 4pm. We are just getting a taxi to the Pennsylvania hotel.

Been looking at what we wanna do, these include Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller centre, 911 memorial, manhattan cruise, Staten Island ferry, Times Square, subway, plaza hotel (I'm home alone 2 daft) flat iron building, bus tour, broadway show, and Brooklyn bridge.

I know it's all about the planning and google maps will help me. Is there an app I can use to help plan? Will it be worth getting a city pass ticket for certain tourist things?

Any advice? Should I avoid anything of the above?

Thank you
    Originally posted by mark_steps

I am flying out for my very first visit to NYC in just under 2 weeks and I have been on the trip advisor forums website. It has a lot of itineraries that people have planned and suggestions from people who live there or who travel there a lot. I have also read a lot of trip reports off people and got a lot of ideas from there. It might be worth having a look and then loading google maps up so that you can see how far one place is from another. I have been planning our trip for weeks, tweeking and amending it when I find something else to do.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 22nd Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 17,033 Posts
    • 38,703 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Any tips on which hotel websites actually give you a price including all the taxes?

I keep finding good deals for 5 nights next July, then you have to add on 14.5% tax, plus $3.50 city tax per night, then service charge for some hotels. What looked like a good deal turns out to be a bloomin fortune!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • SW17
    • By SW17 22nd Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    SW17
    Any tips on which hotel websites actually give you a price including all the taxes?

I keep finding good deals for 5 nights next July, then you have to add on 14.5% tax, plus $3.50 city tax per night, then service charge for some hotels. What looked like a good deal turns out to be a bloomin fortune!
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    If you're talking about hotel's own websites, fairly difficult with the possible exception of some chains. As I'm sure you know, with most things in the US being sold excluding taxes, the culture extends to the websites. Most hotels don't have the sophistication (or can't be bothered) to internationalise their websites to the extent of showing different pricing to different markets.

If you use intermediaries who are taking payment, then you can usually see a tax inclusive price on the non-US versions of their site. For example, if you do the same search on Expedia.com and Expedia.co.uk, the former will show tax-exclusive prices and the latter tax-inclusive, since the UK pricing culture is tax inclusive.

Of course certain charges are excluded on both, such as taxes that have to be paid at hotel (doesn't apply in NYC), or things like resort fees that have to be paid at hotel (starting to creep into a few properties in NYC).
    • Zesty1
    • By Zesty1 24th Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zesty1
    If you had the option of going in April or at the end of May (over Memorial Day weekend) which would you choose?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 24th Sep 16, 4:30 PM
    • 16,915 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    richardw
    If you had the option of going in April or at the end of May (over Memorial Day weekend) which would you choose?
    Originally posted by Zesty1
    Late April after the Easter holidays.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin