Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Free NHS smoking quit pack... Order online (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free NHS smoking quit pack... Order online
Views: 100,050
# 1
WOW Factor 0
newhere
Old 26-12-2009, 8:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Free NHS smoking quit pack... Order online

Free stuff inc, a free toothbrush (well done gordon brown another very bright idea, 'we will give people a toothbrush to quit smoking') also a free stress ball and loads of useful information. Should come in useful.

http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert Dec'12:

This free kit is available again at the same link as before. Thanks to newhere for the original post!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-12-2012 at 5:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to newhere For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The Following 2 Users got this: Show me >>
# 2
poppy10
Old 26-12-2009, 9:25 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere View Post
well done gordon brown another very bright idea, 'we will give people a toothbrush to quit smoking'
Yes, I'm sure that was Gordon Brown's personal idea to include a toothbrush. :rolleyes:

Leave your politics at the door, please.
This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to poppy10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ariarnia
Old 26-12-2009, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

england only.
The Following User Says Thank You to ariarnia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Saetana
Old 27-12-2009, 6:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Great post - my husband saw the pack offered on TV but didn't get a pen quick enough to write down the number. We HAVE to give up this year, he's already had a heart attack from smoking, cutting down is not working and number of fags is creeping up again.

Good luck to everyone else who is trying to give up for the New Year.
2014 Wins: Playstation 4, 250 Telescope, 435 Cash, 100 Prepaid Visa Card, 65 Vouchers, Rio 60 Second Facelift Kit, Nails Inc Diary, 2 Watches, Asus T100T Netbook, London theatre break, Scotland break, assorted toiletries/skincare
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saetana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
artydoll
Old 27-12-2009, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saetana View Post
Great post - my husband saw the pack offered on TV but didn't get a pen quick enough to write down the number. We HAVE to give up this year, he's already had a heart attack from smoking, cutting down is not working and number of fags is creeping up again.

Good luck to everyone else who is trying to give up for the New Year.
My husband should give up,I gave up last January and have had no regrets,no cravings either.
Earnings 90 in 2014 thanks to swagbucks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artydoll For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
scootw1
Old 27-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariarnia View Post
england only.
I take it they only want the English to give up then:rolleyes:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scootw1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
TravellingAbuela
Old 28-12-2009, 7:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The best way to quit is to get along to an NHS Smoking Cessation Group. All aids (eg patches, gum, inhalators etc) are free. The group meets weekly and you kind of encourage each other, as well as getting advice from the group leader. No-one wants to be the first to fall by the wayside and that thought keeps you going. I gave up this way 2 years ago after smoking for 40 years. I'm not saying it was easy but I would never have done it alone. Only half of my group finished the course so I felt quite proud of myself! Good luck all of you who want to quit!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TravellingAbuela For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
luckylynda
Old 28-12-2009, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

:rolleyes:I think that it is disgusting that this is not available in wales,I contacted them a few weeks ago to ask for a help pack and was told that it is only available in England,so that means that the Welsh,Irish and the Scots will have to go it alone,oh well wish me luck
I am a M.S.E. addict and proud of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to luckylynda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Snakeeyes21
Old 28-12-2009, 7:29 PM
PPR

And I think its disgusting that the Welsh get free prescriptions at our expense
But im sure you didn't kick up a fuss saying thats unfair on the English
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snakeeyes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
poppy10
Old 28-12-2009, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylynda View Post
:rolleyes:I think that it is disgusting that this is not available in wales,I contacted them a few weeks ago to ask for a help pack and was told that it is only available in England,so that means that the Welsh,Irish and the Scots will have to go it alone,oh well wish me luck
NHS Wales, NHS Scotland, and HSCNI are completely different organizations to NHS England. You can hardly blame NHS England for not providing services to countries which have their own separate national health service.

The other NHSs have their own smoking cessation websites and helplines:

NHS Wales: http://www.stopsmokingwales.com/

NHS Scotland: http://www.canstopsmoking.com/

HSCNI: http://www.spacetobreathe.org.uk/article.asp?aid=187
This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to poppy10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 28-12-2009, 9:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I gave up years ago, but think that this is probably one of the most useless NHS ideas imaginable - if you give up smoking, you can download some relaxation stuff (like everyone who smokes has computer literacy/access), a toothbrush (because you would never normally use one), a gadget to add up with (because you are too stupid to do that normally?) and a squishy thing?

Well, thanks for the squishy thing. Patronising wombats.

Glad I gave up without this tosh.
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
dreamteamgirl
Old 28-12-2009, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Having recently quit (well jsut over 6 months ago) I can see why a travel toothbrush is a really good idea. When I wanted a fag I cleaned my teeth instead using the stuff in my desk, but having a travel one would have been really cool.

I also used a thingy from nicorette to keep myhands busy and found that useful.

I second whoever mentioned the quit services too- I used Quit4Life in Hampshire and they were just amazing

Great for you if you could quit without it all ( the 'tosh' :confused: ), but hey I guess we arent all perfect and as strong willed as you huh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamteamgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 28-12-2009, 11:21 PM

If I had been perfect and strong willed, I wouldn't have started smoking in the first place. And I did take advantage of the NHS stop smoking service when they offered useful things, like nicotine patches and a nurse to write the prescription for them.

But if you like someone implying that you are too unintelligent to brush your teeth or count how much you spend on cigarettes, then be my guest.

If someone wants to quit (not feels guilty, or obliged, or poor, or in any way coerced, blackmailed or forced to quit) then they will stop smoking. If they aren't ready, a toothbrush isn't going to help.
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Saetana
Old 29-12-2009, 4:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo the Tightfisted View Post
I gave up years ago, but think that this is probably one of the most useless NHS ideas imaginable - if you give up smoking, you can download some relaxation stuff (like everyone who smokes has computer literacy/access), a toothbrush (because you would never normally use one), a gadget to add up with (because you are too stupid to do that normally?) and a squishy thing?

Well, thanks for the squishy thing. Patronising wombats.

Glad I gave up without this tosh.
Well I personally was more interested in the information pack (I got one a while ago and now can't find it), although I do want the stress ball (supposed to help with RSI which I seem to be developing again) for a different reason. I think we can reasonably assume that everyone who uses this forum has computer access of some description - being as it is an online forum, lol!

As regards the toothbrush etc, hey the stuff is free, why moan? Besides which it is well known that long term smoking is very damaging for your teeth (anyone seen that pic on some of the cigarette/tobacco packs?), not necessarily to suggest people don't clean them.

2014 Wins: Playstation 4, 250 Telescope, 435 Cash, 100 Prepaid Visa Card, 65 Vouchers, Rio 60 Second Facelift Kit, Nails Inc Diary, 2 Watches, Asus T100T Netbook, London theatre break, Scotland break, assorted toiletries/skincare
The Following User Says Thank You to Saetana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jamespir
Old 29-12-2009, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeyes21 View Post
And I think its disgusting that the Welsh get free prescriptions at our expense
But im sure you didn't kick up a fuss saying thats unfair on the English
its not at your expense tho

the prescriptions are free form the welsh nhs(whos money si provided by the welsh assembly whos taxes come from people in wales ) becasue there spending there money on something people actually need rather than spending on drunk people or smokers who both have a choice on there lifestyles
Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamespir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
stewb
Old 31-12-2009, 11:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Keep this new year resolution

I just wanted to endorse the other replies supporting the NHS quit services - they really work. You are far more likely to quit with their help (4 times more likely), and its not just groups. They have 1 to 1 services as well.

We all know that smoking is bad for us, but I was really shocked when I found out just how bad. Most of us start in our teens, but did you know that if we all keep on smoking half of us will die from smoking diseases like lung cancer and heart disease, BUT and its a big but, half of those deaths occur in middle age (before 65). On average those dying in middle age lose 21 years of life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stewb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
michellem1978
Old 01-01-2010, 3:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Good luck to everyone trying to give up smoking. I did it 4 years ago and know it is not easy. If a toothbrush, or a cessation group, or a magic spell will help you - just go for it !
The Following User Says Thank You to michellem1978 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Humf
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you, will get one of there kits for my OH,
COMPETITIONS - 2010 Cushelle Koala, Shirt from Simply Colours, 10.00 Iceland Voucher, Grand Designs Live Tickets x4, Babee Pre-Paid Card, Wii Game, 7night's Holiday, Book x2, Bic Razor
# 19
grumpynotoldman
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

12 weeks smokefree today with help from this service in Group/ 1:1 / text and email, Snailmail, NRT (patches) and my own Won't Power.
Saved 600!
Can't believe I didn't do this earlier!
This is my 4 th attempt to stop and I use my hatred of the shennigins of Big Tobacco to keep me on track.
Plus the money saved is a great incentive.
You need all the help you can get to stop smoking, one of the most addictive substances deliberately manipulated by Tobacco scientists to become even more addictive.
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpynotoldman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
BigSister2008
Old 01-01-2010, 3:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks - OH needs this
2013 WON Approx 3600

2014 Wins so Far - mans onesie, razors, 100 sports voucher, 770 Cash, 500 Holiday Voucher, Shoes, books, Cereal, Toys, DVD's