what temperature to set thermostat for hot water?

Options
hi
ive noticed our hot water is always tooooo hot.
Im guessing this is increasing the gas bill.
gas boiler heats water up in our house.

what setting should i use? for hot water for shower etc.

"setting the thermostat at 60°C/140°F is fine for bathing? "

we have lifestyle LP722 thing in kitchen, im assuming its set from this box??

thanks.

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2009 at 5:40PM
    Options
    60 degrees is supposed to be the minimum recommended temperature to prevent legionella developing.
    Assuming you have a hot water tank then there is normally a thermostat attached about half way up.
    The lifestyle thingy, is your central heating programmer. It sets the times that the hot water and central heating come on and go off, not the termperature.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • katrina123
    Options
    thankyou thankyou
    yes drayton HTS3 we have.
    its set to a bit below 60˚c already.
    yeah the pdf online manual says 60 is popular setting.

legionella? unhealthy for body or just boiler? scary.

so why is our hot water so hot? if the thermostat is already below 60?

im assuming the higher it goes over 60, the more the gas bill will be and the more hot the water wil be?

yeah the lifestyle thingy, we set that to automatically turn on the hot water at specific times.
  • katrina123
    Options
    drayton manual says:
    "If you have a boiler control thermostat, it should always
    be set to a higher temperature than that of the cylinder
    thermostat. In most boilers, a single boiler thermostat
    controls the temperature of water sent to both the cylinder
    and radiators, although in some there are two separate
    boiler thermostats."

drayton is a cylinder thermostat.

could i also have a boiler thermostat? where would it be?
  • penrhyn
    Options
    Can be fatal to humans.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaire_disease

The thermostat could be faulty, however the tank will be hotter at the top by a few degrees,is it a fully pumped system that you have.
    In other words can you have the central heating on independently of the water and vice versa.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    i had a combi boiler and had the heating at the max of 82, and the water at 50. this was more than hot enough for a shower/bath and i still had to mix in some cold to avoid being scalded.

i never knew about the 60 minimum thing but to me that sounds like it would be much too hot!
  • katrina123
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Can be fatal to humans.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaire_disease

The thermostat could be faulty, however the tank will be hotter at the top by a few degrees,is it a fully pumped system that you have.
    In other words can you have the central heating on independently of the water and vice versa.

yes we can have just hot water on, or just central heating, or both.
    i think...well at the moment it just is set up to put hot water on at a set time, for 30mins or 1hr.

but i think when we do put central heating on in winter, this makes the tap water hot in affect. really hot.
    well i def know we can put hot water on independantly as thats what we do now.

no idea if its a pumped system.
    however by the boiler tank ive spotted two other little boxes, both with settings on them, L M H or somthing, im assuming low medium high, and another box with 1 2 3 setting.....both are set to medium setting, or middle one.
  • katrina123
    Options
    i had a combi boiler and had the heating at the max of 82, and the water at 50. this was more than hot enough for a shower/bath and i still had to mix in some cold to avoid being scalded.

i never knew about the 60 minimum thing but to me that sounds like it would be much too hot!

thanks.

yeah when i have a bath or just wanna use hot water to wash up, i HAVE TO MIX IN COLD WATER, as its just way toooo hot just using hot water.
    is this a sign of things not set up right???
    should we NOT need to mix cold water to use hot water???
  • penrhyn
    edited 30 November 2009 at 6:43PM
    Options
    The box with LMH on it is your pump.
    The other unit is most probably a motorised valve, it may have a little lever poking out the side. This indicates the position of the valve. If its like mine then, top= Central Heating, mid = CH & HW, bottom =Hot Water. Could be the other way round.

TLMP3.JPG

Motorised valve.

42168.jpg

Pump.

If you get someone to turn on the Hot water, turn it off then do the same with the central heating central heating, you should see the lever move, if it stays stuck in the middle , then thats the reason your water is overheating, as the motor has failed.
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If your heating is set to 82C then it is unlikely that the boiler is actually condensing. For condensing to work the returning water from the radiators has to be below 57C. Your boiler will be less efficient unless it does condense.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    hi i dont think it is a condensing boiler just a combi.. never thought it was that efficient really maybe thats why!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure