PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options
I have just discovered a med size large blood stain on my daughters cot blanket. She pulled off a nail during the night. Luckily shes not bothered at all by it. Unlike me!
Meanwhile ive now got a dried on blood stain on a £50 (pre mse) cot quilt.
Can anyone please tell me what I might use to get rid of it. Its quite a delicate quilt
Thanks in advance
Allie and toddler Mollies whos totally unphased my Mummies screams on seeing blood!
Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If its still fresh, soak in a salt water solution. If its dried, you will need to soak it in a solution of one dessert spoon of ammonia, to one pint water for several hours. Then wash. Hope this helps, and Mollie nail is ok!!!!!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello narabanekeater

Before you try salt or ammonia, plain water and a bar of soap will probably do the trick.

Have the cold water tap running (trickle) over the blood stain and gently rub the stain with a bar of soap. Then gently rub the soaped area together between your two hands. I wrap the material over my hands and rub the stained area over my knuckles gently.

As you rinse the soap away, you should see the blood disappear. Repeat the soap bar rubbing and rinsing until you can no longer see the stain.

Finally, put the item in the washing machine for a separate wash. Follow the washing care label instructions. If it were my blood stained item, I would use Ariel Biological Automatic washing powder. If you don't have any..........don't worry because you've probably removed the stain anyway.

There should be no need for salt or ammonia.

Good Luck and report back.

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    The best pretreatment for blood is saliva. Spit on it, give it a good rub, leave it a few minutes, then wash it with soap. The enzymes in your spit will break down the blood.
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try some more blood on the same spot that may work..

HTH
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    Nile wrote:
    If it were my blood stained item, I would use Ariel Biological Automatic washing powder.

I can certainly vouch for that! I recently had a large dried in blood stain on a white cotton shirt and just bunged it in the washing machine (without treating it with anything first or soaking it etc) and it had completely disappeared using Ariel bio powder :j :D

I also use Ariel on my DS's footie kits, and we all know how muddy and grass-stained they get this time of year :rolleyes: ... but they also come out sparkly clean, even on the white bits!

Edit: just remembered ... it was Nile that advised me to use Ariel in the first place LOL! Cheers Nile! :beer: :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• MegS
    MegS Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any quick way to get rid of blood? I mean without the soaking in cold water part. I've already washed the sheets but there is still a stain.
    Thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Meg,

I have found soaking, even an older blood stain, in borax before washing at as high a temperature as the fabric can take gets rid of blood stains.

These older threads might give you some more ideas:

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Help-I need to remove blood stains.

Pink
  • carrieparkinson
    Options
    i use cold salt water
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had wonderful success with white vinegar, spraying it on.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Ace bleach also works very well - though best results are to use it on the stain before you wash the first time. You can literally see the stain dissolve before your eyes - it's magic, and almost worth having an accident deliberately just to see it happen!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure