PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I put tuna steak in fish pie as I am not that keen on Tuna as a fish to eat at a meal. However I mix it with some other fish to make the pie.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have to say I love both fish pie & tuna steaks. I have done the fish pie with tuna steaks before. I felt a bit cheated. The tuna steaks are an absolute treat on their own. If you have any other RTC or whoopsied fish I would use that instead and do your tuna with steamed veggies and new potatoes. HTH!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I do fish pie with tuna. Its a nice cheap dish. I just mash up the tuna at the bottom of the dish, mix in a white sauce, mashed potato on the top, maybe a few herbs on top and a drizzle of olive oil. Brown the mash topping in the oven.

The whole family love it! :j
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    By the way, I do my fish pie with tinned tuna, which makes it such a cheap dish. But I'm sure it would be nice with tuna steaks as well!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i dont know how many of you received tesco food club magazine today but in it on page 9 they show a recipe of fish pie with sweet potato topping. the ingredients it lists are for 2 people. i would like to make it for 4 people but do not want to just simply double up the ingrediens as the pie is quite basic with only one kind of fish and thought of adding perhaps another fish, if i list the ingredients as they are could someone perhaps help me with what i could add to make it a meal for 4.i want to keep it quite simple as disabled and dont normally cook at all as cant stand for any length of time but would like to make something simple that i can make in stages during the morning and then cover it until they get home and then put in oven, will need the new timings as well please. here is recipe

9 oz of sweet and 9 oz of normal potatoes
    1 large egg
    2 knobs of butter
    1/2 small onion
    4 fl oz creme fraiche
    5 oz skinless haddock fillets
    1 tbsp fresh chopped dill (doubt i will have any of that)
    1/2 tsp english mustard powder (is this really necessary as dont use it)
    ground black powder

at this point all ingredients would be hot so would just need browning under a grill. i would have obviously have double the quantity and would be allowing to get cold so how long would i need to put in oven?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    You could add salmon and/or prawns along with the haddock.

Omit the mustard powder and the dill no problems.

If you make and allow it to get cold I would put in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes to make sure its piping hot.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    You could add salmon and/or prawns along with the haddock.

Omit the mustard powder and the dill no problems.

If you make and allow it to get cold I would put in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes to make sure its piping hot.

how much of either would i need to add and how would i go them?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    homealone wrote: »
    how much of either would i need to add and how would i go them?

I would use an equal amount of salmon to haddock if just adding salmon. If I was adding prawns as well I would use 3-4oz of salmon and 1-2oz prawns. The prawns more for a change of texture than an over powering flavour.

The creme fraiche I probably wouldn't double up on. Maybe just 2oz more to start with so it didn't become too runny making the potatoes soggy. Its trial and error. (I left too much gravy in my shepherds pie and had sloppy mash on Tuesday.:o)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • always29
    always29 Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    I made a really yummy fish pie the other day with bits from the freezer / store cupboard. The big flavour was from a peppered mackerel fillet so there was no seasoning - other ingredients were a small white fish fillet, handful of prawns, onion, carrotts, green beans and for the sauce I made a white sauce rather than creme fraiche. Added bonus is peppered mackerel is very cheap!
  • Beccah_3
    Beccah_3 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I made a couple of large fish pies this afternoon and like always29, used some bits and pieces that I had in the freezer. I made two very large pies so my amounts probably wouldn't be suitable but basically method was :
    Place salmon fillets, smoked haddock and cod in a large roasting dish, douse with a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper,cover with foil and then bake at 200c for about 10 mins.
    Meanwhile I lightly boiled some petit pois and sweated some spinach down in a couple of tablespoons of water. Once the spinach had cooked down I squeezed all excess water out of it, placed it on a plate and topped with a teeny nob of butter and some black pepper.
    After 10 mins the fish was taken out of the oven and left to cool.
    It was then flaked into the pie dishes, mixed with peas and topped with the spinach.
    I made a very thick white sauce, to which I added a little red leciester and some parmasan and spread over the spinach.
    This was all topped off with some cheesy mash and baked at 200c for 30 mins and served with some savoy cabbage that had been sauteed with bacon.
    Had an utter migraine all day so this was done in many, many stages but its a very forgiving and easy dish.
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure