PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    and my favourite potato and smoked fish bake with the YS dill in the freezer. Yuuuum.

FurryB - That sounds delicious - would you share the recipe please :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    August thread is up!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    Spent another £15 today at Sainsbobs - DH likes to drink pints of Lime Squash and Aldi don't sell it, so I stocked up on that, also bought 2 X own brand curry pastes, a few sugar free jelly granules and their sugar free version of Angel Delight - oh and a tub of carte dor vanilla jumped in my trolley :whistle:

£300/£130
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2.42 remains of the budget till tuesday, but we need bread, milk and orange juice. I'll admit my OH and I have been 'creative' with the budget in that he has come home with desserts, or I have bought him a dessert and we have classed it as a 'gift' purchase.

I have decided to try and combat this by stocking up on treats in the next months food shop, so value chocolate chip cookies and value milk chocolate bars are in the basket and I will encourage my OH to eat them first before going out and buying a dessert. I have also ordered some baking ingredients so I can bake my own chocolate cake.

I have ordered the next months food shop, I have total control of the budget next month, and it has really made me think and double think about every purchase. I hope to get it under control.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Peggybabcot
    Peggybabcot Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2016 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Another £8.47 spend today at Sainsburys but as I'm at work now until Wednesday (when our new grocery budget starts) then this should be it (we shall see!!! ;) ) Signature has been updated so I'm over slightly but again I remind myself that it's a far cry from pre grocery challenge monthly spends so I'm happy with that. Next month will be the last month as a family of four as DD will be back at uni soon so hope to cut the food budget come September when we revert to a three person household again. I swear she eats more than the rest of us put together lol! Forgot to say, my little trip to Sainsburys and the limited spend was solely down to knowing I was running out of grocery budget (even though I had spare cash in my purse) but as that would be cheating I curbed my spending accordingly (well almost) I wouldn't had I not been participating in the GC! :)
    Grocery challenge June 2016
    £500/£516.04
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £500/£503.73
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Islandmaid I don't really do recipes as such so here's best guess. It's basically a variation of potato dauphinoise.

Thinly slice some waxy potatoes - I use a mandolin. Then you need some salmon/hot smoked salmon/smoked haddock. (You get the idea), dill if you like it, butter or stock. If you are using unsmoked fish I tend to finely slice some onions as well.

Layer of potatoes, salmon and dill in a greased ovenproof dish. I use a deep Le Creuset casserole, but something shallower would work. If you are using butter, melt it, and pour a little over the layer. Then keep layering. If you are using stock just pour it over at the end. Cover and bake for about an hour.

Sorry. I think this may have been based on an original proper recipe. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get a chance.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spends of £1.50 0n bread yesterday. £39.50 left of food budget. x
  • Islandmaid
    Options
    Islandmaid I don't really do recipes as such so here's best guess. It's basically a variation of potato dauphinoise.

Thinly slice some waxy potatoes - I use a mandolin. Then you need some salmon/hot smoked salmon/smoked haddock. (You get the idea), dill if you like it, butter or stock. If you are using unsmoked fish I tend to finely slice some onions as well.

Layer of potatoes, salmon and dill in a greased ovenproof dish. I use a deep Le Creuset casserole, but something shallower would work. If you are using butter, melt it, and pour a little over the layer. Then keep layering. If you are using stock just pour it over at the end. Cover and bake for about an hour.

Sorry. I think this may have been based on an original proper recipe. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get a chance.

Thank you - I will give it a go, sounds lush..:D

£300/£130
  • Happytravelling
    Options
    So £23.27 being added to my total. This includes miracle grow; although I include toiletries and cleaning products, I wouldn't normally include this but trying to be extra budget concious!

Bought mixed size eggs, rather than medium, saving 20p. They would be a penny cheaper again in Aldi, but I tried their eggs and found the texture a bit funny when I scambled them.

That takes me to £100.92. A shop at the butchers next Sat will be included for July (even though most won't be eaten until August) but feeling like it should be do-able :D
    August 2016 GC £249.70/£150
    July 2016 GC £114.03/ £120
    June 2016 GC
    £170.09/ £175
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all. An update from me - 2nd month in, and we've gone over - ended up at £280.29 - so 30.29 over!!!
    Not horrendous, but am annoyed. Mainly lunch shopping by DH causing it, a lack of organisation on both of our parts. Going to sort it out for aug!
    Interestingly we managed with very mostly internet shop and veg box - we tried Riverford and a local one. Riverford nice, but not a lot for your money. local one much better value but the veg doesn't change week to week too much....so i think we will use the local one, maybe once a month or so when we need a top up. Also ordered a fruit box, but won't do that again as we've had a load of fruit we just don't want to eat. I'd rather buy what we enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure