Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Options

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Just spoke to EE and was told that they do allow override providers such as 18185.
    You do know that sales people have been know to say what they think the punter wants to hear, don't you?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • saxonrosecliff
    Options
    Hi If anyone is a user of 18185 can you let me know if there is a fault at the moment? When I dial the 0808 number I get silence once it has dialled and can't progress any further. I've reported it online but, of course, you don't get to talk to a human being (I can't find a number to ring!). My phone is working fine when I dial direct using Virgin Media but, of course, this is very expensive and I've got a long call to make!
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go to the 185 185 website and sign in. There should be a way to contact them from there. No idea about 0808 codes, sorry.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just tried their 0808 1 703 703 number from a Virgin Media line and got straight through...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• saxonrosecliff
    Options
    Thank you both of you - its working now so must have been a temporary fault.
  • Wouldn't recommend Pop - they added call barring to my account without my permission and charged me £16 a month for the priviledge. Lucky I'm a good MSE-er and always check my bank statement!
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    You do know that sales people have been know to say what they think the punter wants to hear, don't you?

However in this case EE are correct, I am with them for BB and phone and have been using 1899 since end of October.

Re the OP, Primus, (Plusnet?). now Fuel Broadband do not allow override numbers, had them for 12 months up until end of October and could not use 1899, 18866, 18185, etc.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• bazhance
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to use 18185 to phone my daughter in india. Dialing the access no is fine but when after the welcome message you have to put in her indian mobile no starting with +91 there appears to be no + button I can use. Before calling the access no the key 0 also acts as a + key if you hold it down but once you are through to the welcome message the keypad is basic. does anyone know a way round this. Can you for instance save the access no with say a 20 sec delay followed by the +91 and mobile no. Any help would be great
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • davetrousers
    Options
    You don't use a + it's just how it is written

so You'd dial 18185 00 91 ....

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 December 2014 at 2:34PM
    Options
    dial 0091 not +91 followed the rest of the mobile number.
    You can save the whole number but depends on the phone, something like:
    18185pp0091.....
    or

The 'p' or ','(comma) is a pause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business