Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Hands are tons better now thank goodness. Almost look normal again. Glad I perservered with the sudocream and gloves. Will maintain them with the aloe vera gel.

Mr SA has a chest infection yet again! He is feeling quite poorly at the minute but is on antibiotics and they say he should be feeling better soon. He has bad chest pains on one side and has been on morphine for this. If it's not one thing it's another.

Don't ask about finances! Fridge freezer finally gave up Friday night and I've had to buy a new one. Currently being delivered as I type. They are picking up my old one which is a huge American fridge freezer and they are struggling! I'm keeping out of the way. I could have probably got a cheaper deal if I shopped around but got it from Appliances Online who could deliver the next day (Sunday) in a 4 hour timeslot for £9.99 and take the old one away for £9.99. Doubt I'd get this quick a service from elsewhere - I got my dishwasher from them too and had no problems with it. So can recommend them for future reference. New fridge freezer is just a normal one so it will seem tiny compared to the old one. Will have to buy less stuff! Could have done without this expense but hey ho this is how it goes.

Didn't put anything in my VSP and didn't make an extra payment to the card this Friday as a bit short of money to put in it. Will reassess this Friday.

Hoping that Mr SA is either tons better or out of hospital for Friday as it's my birthday. I'm taking bank holiday week off work whatever happens as I am so desperate for a break. But hopefully he will be out by then.

And there's more - DS is not coming back home now. His friend has had a change of heart and is allowing him, cats and kittens to stay. He reckons once he realised he was losing his rent money he changed his mind. At least I won't lose my gym! However, no time to go in it at the moment.

PS delivery men have finally got old fridge freezer out of the house - phew! Just need to set up new one now and I'm up and running again. £370 worse off!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Oh no sorry to hear about the broken FF!! My freezer broke the other day but we got it working again, turned out to be the fuse in the wall ?! I bought my mum's FF on appliances online and they did have the best price as well as good quick service :)

I hope Mr SA shakes the infection soon, would be lovely for you both if he could be home for your birthday :) xx
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £244.12/300 (EF total £1744.12)~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I highly rate Appliances Online, not only for price and delivery, but for customer service. I hope you used TopCashBack or similar, too? 2.4% cashback for AO. I bought mum a vacuum cleaner which wasn't suitable as she couldn't use the accessories,and found it hard to push around. AO were very helpful, and even though their T&Cs say they'll take back/refund an unused item, they collected and refunded on the vacuum, which had a good trial run.

I left good feedback on their FB page, and they were delighted.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,306 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    In awe of you as usual.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thanks for your messages everyone

No satchmo I didn't go through Top Cashback or any other site of that ilk. Just wanted to get something ordered fast. Wish I'd thought of it.

Mr SA still improving and they let me take him outside last night. Have had a few calls from him confused about is it 6am or pm but he has got so institutionalised it's unreal. 5 months he's been in hospital now! Doctor has told him 5 more days of antibiotics to go. Hopefully he will be discharged after that, so maybe looking at the weekend?

New fridge freezer is great and just as roomy as the old one so no worries on that score. One good thing was that I finally got to throw out all the really old stuff that had been lurking at the back of the freezer.

Managed to hit £80 budget target with a few pence to spare - mainly because I couldn't buy anything from Iceland for the fridge or freezer - but we've survived! Now to try and stick to the £80 budget this week.........
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon SA,

Hope MrSA picks up soon and can come home at the weekend.

Boooo to the fridge freezer but glad youre sorted with the new one. We have the American Style one and I am so used to all the space id hate to have a smaller one! Glad to hear you dont seem to have lost much space though!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Five months? SA you have been doing this for FIVE months. Holy !!!!.

In awe of you as Beanie says.

Glad the fridge worked out ok, Will have to remember the name of the place......

Hope you have a good day today, sending you many positive vibes

Love Buffy x
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Five months? SA you have been doing this for FIVE months. Holy !!!!.

In awe of you as Beanie says.

Glad the fridge worked out ok, Will have to remember the name of the place......

Hope you have a good day today, sending you many positive vibes

Love Buffy x

Seconded. You are one hell of an inspiration in never ever giving up.

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • tunathe_cat
    Options
    5 months on this brain tumour journey - hope hubby will be home soon.
    you are doing well and reducing debts/working/ visiting.
    wishing you a healthier and wealthier future journey.
    xx
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thank you all

Mummy - this new fridge freezer is just as spacious as the old one thankfully.

Have had a flash of inspiration today re finances:

What I do at the moment: Mr SA gets his ESA every 2 weeks, DD pays her board every 4 weeks, I get paid at the end of the month. At the moment I wait until the end of the month when I get paid and then total up all the monies in and then divvy it up. The problem is I feel rich at the end of the month but by week 3 am usually struggling a bit.

The idea is: Mr SA's ESA will be used for food, his phone, day to day expenses and I'll use this as and when it's paid in every 2 weeks. DD's board every 4 weeks will be used to pay off the credit card. When I get paid all the bills come out of this and then whatever is left over (ha ha ha!) is for the rest of stuff we need, savings, holidays, etc.

This new option should ensure a steady flow of money during the month and I shouldn't have weeks where I'm running out of cash.

Feel quite lighthearted now - I love it when I have a good idea!

Hospital messing me about again. Last night they said ring up tomorrow and arrange appointment with discharge team for one day next week. Great I thought I'm off next week so can get things sorted prior to Mr SA's discharge. So rang up today and they said no need to come in we'll talk about it over the phone now. I was under the impression Mr SA would be coming out sometime next week which would be great. Now they are talking about this week or early next week. I get one idea set in my head and then they change it. Currently the OT is trying to sort out grab rails for the house. I have the next 2 weeks booked off work so am hoping the discharge will fit in with this. Getting very stressed.

Mr SA is to have a CT this afternoon on his lungs which have been painful since he got the chest infection. Hopefully this won't show anything serious up. He was ok last night. Took him out in a wheelchair to sit in the sun, he got out for a minute while we went up a kerb and he fell over! Couldn't get him up. A very kind taxi driver stopped and got him back up. Hope this isn't the shape of things to come!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport