Student loans for school age

Options
Can I get a student loan for my daughter who is still at school? I can only afford one uniform for her, which is having to last all week before I can wash it, and I've only just found out she's been having to do PE in her pants since September as I cannot afford any PE kit either. So some sort of help so she can have a change of uniform and some PE kit would be nice

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I get a student loan for my daughter who is still at school? I can only afford one uniform for her, which is having to last all week before I can wash it, and I've only just found out she's been having to do PE in her pants since September as I cannot afford any PE kit either. So some sort of help so she can have a change of uniform and some PE kit would be nice

No student loans are for advanced education ie university level.

You need to check if your local council offer bursaries or uniform grants.
    Try buying bits in Asda or tesco it’s far cheaper for uniforms than a uniform shop.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may be able to get a school uniform grant if you meet the criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/help-school-clothing-costs

The school should be supporting you with the PE kit if your DD has been bullied into giving it to another child. What have they said.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73136084&postcount=16
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • bellaboo86
    Options
    If she is doing PE in her pants, she is surely of a primary school age. Go and speak to the school. My last school gave PE kits to those in need.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bellaboo86 wrote: »
    If she is doing PE in her pants, she is surely of a primary school age. Go and speak to the school. My last school gave PE kits to those in need.

Lesson time table changing, as mentioned here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73132179&postcount=27

suggests a secondary school pupil. If this is true then PE in pants and not changing uniform all week sounds unhealthy.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

According to your other posts you knew about the PE kit issue in September, when a teacher made a home visit about it.

Do you not get child tax credits and child benefit?

Until you get some new clothes, if you wash the current ones when she gets home then they'll be dry by morning. If you don't have a washing machine you could hand wash them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 November 2017 at 4:53PM
    Options
    True, I’ve been washing my sons trousers through each night as we only have one pair at the minute. He’s 7 so covered in paint, mud, bogeys and who knows what else but they’re washed dried and ready to wear the next day.

The shop better hurry up and get new stock in soon!
  • bellaboo86 wrote: »
    No, she's at secondary school
  • According to your other posts you knew about the PE kit issue in September, when a teacher made a home visit about it.

Do you not get child tax credits and child benefit?

Until you get some new clothes, if you wash the current ones when she gets home then they'll be dry by morning. If you don't have a washing machine you could hand wash them.
    But she didn't have any PE kit at all. I've managed to get her some now, though
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    If you're on a low income you'll receive a substantial weekly amount in child related benefits which you get to enable you to feed, clothe and educate your child. Perhaps you need to reassess your financial priorities if you're not using the money for this purpose.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're on a low income you'll receive a substantial weekly amount in child related benefits which you get to enable you to feed, clothe and educate your child. Perhaps you need to reassess your financial priorities if you're not using the money for this purpose.
    I wouldn't call it that to be fair. This money has to go a long way and feeding a child of secondary achool age isn't exactly cheap.

Having said that going back to the question from OP, i used to washed my daughters uniform 3 times a week because she only had 1 of each item too. Maybe you should think of doing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure