Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• kad1
    kad1 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    rhysw wrote: »
    I did the same - dial 150 Option 1, 3, 4 - said that I was considering moving to Primus line rental at £8.99 andwould they remind me what I was paying them. Following my audible gasp at their reply, I was immediately offered £36 refund with line rental with free evening, weekend and 0870/0845 calls for £8.54. On asking what's the catch I was told 'no catch'. Deal done, though it does annoy me that they dont just drop their prices anyway.

And I'm guaranteed to be able to use overide providers eg Call18185

I just rang up and got this offer too. Although they gave me £36 credit with free friends & family mobile package at a saving of 1.50 which I think makes up the £36 refund. The guy explained that the £8.54 per month LR is when you take in to account the refund of £36 over 12 months. Well done Primus for creating a bit of competition!
  • poorbabe
    poorbabe Posts: 896 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on BT's unlimited weekend plan (no minimum term) with Primus as my calls carrier (old package includes their 20 min mobile call deal, I think) and also have 18185 and 1899. I rarely use any of these (apart from 1 or 2 short calls per month to Jamaica/USA) as my contract mobile's inclusive minutes more than covers any UK calls I need to make.

Now that BT are upping their charges again, would it make sense for me to change to Primus? Would I still be able to use 18185/1899? I couldn't find related info on their website.
  • Baalmaiden
    Baalmaiden Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    I am getting free phone calls with my broadband so only need to get my line from BT. I was about to sign up for the 12 months in advance payment to save money, but reading the terms and conditions you have to make 2 BT calls per month. What counts as BT calls?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Baalmaiden wrote: »
    I am getting free phone calls with my broadband so only need to get my line from BT. I was about to sign up for the 12 months in advance payment to save money, but reading the terms and conditions you have to make 2 BT calls per month. What counts as BT calls?
    You don't say who your ISP is but, if it's Orange or AOL, those 'free' calls are supplied using WCLI and that means you cannot make calls via BT because the 1280 prefix you need to use to do so is effectively barred because they us WCLI as the route by which your calls are carried.

In any case, are you sure you could opt for the Line Saver Plan? You're probably on BT's Unlimited Weekend calls plan and, if so, you are barred from making BT an interest-free loan of a years' line rental.
    You qualify for Line Rental Saver if you have paper-free billing and one of the following products:
    • Unlimited Anytime Plan
    • Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan
    • Any package of products, such as phone and broadband
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...id/13962/c/345
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Baalmaiden
    Baalmaiden Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Heinz,

My ISP is eclipse which I use because my employer gives me some of the cost and I get more download allowance. I was on unlimited Evening and Weekend with BT, but shouldn't need it if Eclipse is giving me free calls, however I still will have to pay for the line. I went onto my account page with BT to change it to line only, but saw the condition that BT will charge £1.50 if you don't do at least 2 BT calls per month. There was nothing in the conditions I could see about being on a particular package to get the line saver. I was just wondering if 0845 calls count as BT calls. I will have to ring up BT.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 28 July 2010 at 5:21PM
    Options
    If your calls go by default via Eclipse (that's known as a CPS or Carrier PreSelect calls provider), you'd have to dial a 1280 prefix to hop back onto BT to make those qualifying calls. Any inclusive call would do (i.e. an evening or weekend UK 01, 02 or 03, 0845 or 0870 call if you're on BT's Unlimited Evening & Weekend calls plan).

Your UE&W BT calls package makes you eligible for Line Rental Saver (see the quote and link in my earlier post)
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • pete_
    pete_ Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

We are on BT and used the free line installation offer when we moved into our new house - 18 month contract with 12 months still to go - must make 10 chargeable calls per month etc etc - £11.54 per month line rental.

My question is if I were to switch to Primus would I be breaking the terms of the "free line installation" and therefore have to repay the £122 which I saved originally?

The other question being how long Primus will allow the use of override providers as per below?

PRIMUS:
    QUICK FACTS. Price: £8.99/month Free Calls: Evening & weekend Length of free calls: 90 mins Connection: None Contract:12 months Allows use of override providers? Yes (In Jan 10 gave MSE written guarantee to stay open until the end of the year at least).
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    pete_ wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

We are on BT and used the free line installation offer when we moved into our new house - 18 month contract with 12 months still to go - must make 10 chargeable calls per month etc etc - £11.54 per month line rental.

My question is if I were to switch to Primus would I be breaking the terms of the "free line installation" and therefore have to repay the £122 which I saved originally?

The other question being how long Primus will allow the use of override providers as per below?

PRIMUS:
    QUICK FACTS. Price: £8.99/month Free Calls: Evening & weekend Length of free calls: 90 mins Connection: None Contract:12 months Allows use of override providers? Yes (In Jan 10 gave MSE written guarantee to stay open until the end of the year at least).

"At the present time if you decide to end the contract within the 18 month minimum term, you will incur a single charge of £7.50(on the Unlimited Weekend and Unlimited Evening & Weekend plans) or £8.00(on the Unlimited Anytime plan) for each month left of the minimum term."

They could stop indirect access anytime .

Suggest you do some research before moving to them.;)
  • Paul_D65
    Paul_D65 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I have decided to change to TalkTalk from BT but there is one concern I have: I have an @btinternet email address (and so does my wife).
    The TalkTalk sales guy told me that in all probability BT will let me keep those addresses.
    Questions I have:
    1) Is this true? Anyone any experience?
    2) Following my move to TalkTalk will I have to access the BT email account through webmail or is POP3 still possible?
  • David_of_York
    Options
    kad1 wrote: »
    I just rang up and got this offer too. Although they gave me £36 credit with free friends & family mobile package at a saving of 1.50 which I think makes up the £36 refund. The guy explained that the £8.54 per month LR is when you take in to account the refund of £36 over 12 months. Well done Primus for creating a bit of competition!

Just to chip in, I also mentioned Primus when I came to renew my contract, and sure enough, I was offered a £36 credit (£3 per month), bringing my line rental down to £8.54 per month. This seems to be as low as BT will go. Strangely, they wouldn't refer to Primus by name - they kept saying "that other company you mentioned"!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback