PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wednesday evening and very hot about 29o at 7pm, to be 38o tomorrow which i am not looking forward to!

1. Work stress over.....stressy customer shared her stress with me....kind of her! Anyway, all done and dusted so much calmer!

2. Home:)

3. Having roast sweet potatoes, oven baked sausages and salad with radishes from the garden!

4. Had another hour to myself as the workers were working and DD2 went to library to use their Internet....and probably to stay cool!

5. Washing dry in half an hour.....not be as quick to iron them though!

Okay off to eat dinner, have a lovely day and stay safe in all the rain!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2012 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Bobarella - Warm Welcome and if I may echo Chicken, lovely posts:-) One of my bargain buys avant-hier was 20p bags of finest clementines and organic oranges, which I, too, intend candying. I also save the peels from my morning and evening citrus - choc./orange peels, extreme marmalades etc. - and always add 1 or 2 to oxtail and heavy dark stews/casseroles.

Well done on the new job, Vicky A - welcome back!

CCP - your news will have been a jolt, but any 'known' factor now is good to have on record.

Better and better from smaller son's solicitor, Frith. He does know Team OSP is on call as Heavy Brigade Back-up, doesn't he?

sparrer- WELL DONE ON BUS PASS! I feel so pleased, without justification as it's nomb. When you do find a suitable carpark/stop spot, remember you can head this way, or go to Oxford on the X5.
    ##########
    1. Sleeping oddly, but soundly. Fell asleep in Archers last night, woke briefly around 0130h,then asleep until after 0730h! Unheard of for me.

2. That was after I took some great Mr T bargains to friend in next village and had quote from her son re: pergola/carport. Drew money from their village Co-op and handed it over in advance, as jobs for him are scarce atm. He's a lovely chap and his work will be good.

3, On way out hier when phone rang, heard msg begin. Answered - 'You've won a prize in the Montessori raffle' in village I was headed to. So, collected a happy Leopard's Leap bottle en route, with Christmas cake tied around the neck, bonus-shared with L. over rooibos. VG catch-up tea and chat.

4. Fingers crossed that there's a spare Spits spot for me tomorrow. Have left 1st 'phone msg. M.was chatty on Sunday@Trumpington. Few stallholders, all brave in near-gale conditions. Had I signed with the Old Spitsonians? he asked. No. Oh, but you must, said he. I've looked on his ref: Old Spitalfields Market site, but can't find said blog.

5. YHA bkg confirmed - ditto lower bunk:-) I'm off to London mid-day-ish for Tim Minchin tonight. It's his try-out run for an Oz Festival early next year. Happy am I to be a TM guinea pig.

6. Replaying Edmund de Waal's DID -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p067p/Desert_Island_Discs_Edmund_de_Waal/

Is this the loveliest one I've ever heard?[Monty Don and Tim Minchin are in that mix] Could well be. The wonderful richness and simplicity of his family life, ethos, upbringing is perfection for me. I went to Leamington Spa a couple of years ago to see a montage of his porcelain pots there[David Barbie and wife were there, too - great local supporters]. I will always re-live hearing it with sun on my face through winter windscreen in Waitrose carpark last Sunday, gale-blowing & car rocking, post-carboot finds, pre-apple tree collection, with sans doute foolishly bought[from silver-tongued Irishman]mimosa tickling my face, pre-long haul across country again for retrieval of phone. All accomplished in due course.
    ##########
    Again hoping all is well for you broomstick and all your family, Frith as the floods and rains continue.

Also listened again to this, in view of the inexorability of ash die-back:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p0fpb/The_Long_View_27_11_2012/

It is gripping, timely and sound.

Late 7.
    M. just called: I am on demain:T, same spot as last week, so can give J champagne, in mitigation. I broke one of a pair of her vases - big coat weather, crabbing sideways through narrow aisle. She laughed it off, but still...Nothing big or new this time, so on verra.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :)

Not noyb at all, I thought of you when the bus pass arrived ampersand, and had a little smile about your telling me the advantages on my last trip to Cambridge. Have read through the benefits and spent an hour imagining trips all over UK by free bus and half-price train journeys. It's nice to dream...

Mhags well done for coping with stressy customer, you stay so (outwardly?) calm with difficult types. I envy you that art

One for all the cooks among us - I've made a lamb shank casserole in the sc but overdid the garlic a little so it has a slightly bitter taste. Is there anything I can add to rescue it? Please?! I love lamb shank :)

back with 5 later, stay safe and dry :)
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon

Pleasures for yesterday,
    1. Piece of cake in Patisserie Valerie whilst waiting for my train plus work paid for it.
    2. Ok train trip to Wakefield and not too delayed, flooding doesn't seem as bad here
    3. Huge room with a 4 poster bed in the hotel I was staying in plus had fantastic views.
    4. Yummy dinner with someone from work so didn't have to sit on my own in the restaurant plus shared a bottle of wine
    5. Chat with Mum on the phone and know they are safe and dry as all around them seems to be flooded. McCulloch hope you haven't been affected by the weather as I know you are nearby to them.

Hugs to all who need them and hope everyone is staying safe and dry especially thinking of you Broomstick
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2012 at 2:17PM
    Options
    sparrer - a dollop of red currant/plum,any similar jam or jelly will make a good marriage counsellor.
    I know you're anti-Mr T, but redeeming his vouchers for Senior Railcard was a good'un for me.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Chickenopolis
    Options
    Good evening all !

ampersand - accidents will happen - I bet you are glad that it wasn't a Loetsz (sp) vase ! Good luck at with Sptlflds - keep warm.

DD - Skint- speeker de English please - Am I missing something good ??

PK - are you ok??

5 for today

1. Despite having a "shoes in fridge" day ( Sparrer ;)) work was ok .

2. Site visit went well.

3. Out again for most of the day tomorrow .

4. Got my tax rebate in the post - just over £20 ,I am not complaining.

5. Found an egg under a hen at 4.30pm (ooh that rhymes:rotfl:)

6. Skinny fries for a skinny bird (me) for tea :D

Have a good evening all !
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,157 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My pleasures for today (Weds). Quite a busy day.

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Sons off to school happily.

3) Solicitor finished our defence against son's exclusion. It runs to 35 paragraphs and involves the unfairness and victimisation, his SEN, breaking the DDA and not following their own policies!

4) Changed all the beds and had a hoover and tidy up.

5) Went swimming with my brother and swam almost 500metres.

6) Tidied the garden and swept up.

7) Made one of the boys' favourite teas. Homemade chicken nuggets, chip and beans.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    DD - Skint- speeker de English please - Am I missing something good ??

Chicken youre not missing anything. I watched the whole series 8 hours of Hunted and couldnt make head nor tail of it :rotfl:

for today:

1. managed to snatch a 20 min snooze before alarm went off

2. no-one parked in my car park space today

3. texts with old school friend from up norf arranging to meet up over festive period when I go to stay with parents. Havent seen most of family and friends since the summer

4. faggots for tea. I usually cook in oven 55mins but put them in pyrex dish & nuked in microwave 10mins to save electric :D and they were nom nom

5. day off tomorrow
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all

Mhagster - enjoy that warm weather , yer gonna get a shock
    Frith - I wish i could find the enthusiasm for swimming. If you didn't get wet, I'd feel better about it :p
    Skint - you've reminded me. I have some "faggots en croute" in the freezer that our butcher made. Must have them soon.

For today

1. Woke up to a lovely email from one of the Korean students. Full of praise and he didn't want anything - just saying thanks. Made my day
    2. Listening to my itunes while doing the work I have to do
    3. Caught up with most of the laundry now.
    4. Spent the day learning a new method of doing one aspect of my work - and it isn't too difficult. There was a time I couldn't have made head nor tail of it
    5. Really proud of my DD. She has a first class rail pass and was on her way home today when the only seat in the 1st class compartment had a lady's bag on it. When DD asked her to move it the woman was aghast and said "do you know this is FIRST CLASS" to which DD said yes, the woman asked her if she had a ticket and insisited she SHOW her!! :eek: DD did and the woman argued it wasn't a ticket (she was just an ordinary passenger, not railway staff). DD said "Well I will just sit here and we can let the train manager decide". :D Am sooooo proud of her for politely standing up (or sitting down ;)) for herself. Apparently the woman was furious when the manager just said "fine" when shown DDs pass!!

My tonsilitis has recurred - 3rd time this year and twice in 2 weeks. It isn't too bad so have decided to let it have its way and get it out of my system. I really need to rest a bit but can't until Boxing Day!
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum, I feel your pain - I think my stupid cold has come back, felt sore throaty last night but put it down to anything other than a cold and am a bit yuk today! I'm putting it down to being run down with all the stress, excitement and everything else of my life, hopefully I can rest and relax over Chrimbo at my parents (like i did last year when I got the flu!)

Anyway.........

1. I PASSED both my exams :):):):):) A huge relief, especially as last night when practicing for the maths, I kept on failing by one mark, so went to bed a wee bit despondent.

2. Bought yummy A$da veggie pizza to celebrate with DD, we had lots of 'celebratory bites' (her words not mine!!)

3. Called a friend in a bit of a flap before school when I realised that the second exam would make me late for pick up this afternoon, so DD went to her house to play with her 3 children, including lovely baby JJ.

4. Lots of cuddles with JJ, and, as all babies seem to do, he fell asleep on my ample chest!

5. Got last Chrimbo presents

6. One of the lovely plasterers finishing off the work fixed my new oven's dodgy door, yippee! I just mentioned that a friend had given me this oven and I guess I needed to find someone to fix it, and he took a quick look and worked out what needed to be done, my hero :)

7. Got home after my exams/chats/cuddles with JJ to discover the plasterers have finished the job and the house is starting to look even less like a building site - yippee!!

8. Text from the Swedish furniture shop giving me a 3-hour delivery slot for the kitchen work surface that is being delivered on Friday, hoorah, I don't have to sit around all day for it!

9. Lovely chats with the receptionist at the Pear$on test centre - I was the only person doing QTS tests, everyone else was watching videos of cars for their driving theory tests, very odd to look through the windows at them, and relieved that I didn't have to do one of those tests in my day ;)

10. Lovely sales assistant in N*xt checked and found the last packet of DD's regulation colour school tights - had tried 4 other shops with no luck! Phew, my little kitty will have nice warm legs tomorrow, as of course last year's tights are all way too small as she discovered this morning just before we had to go!!

11. Enjoyed a quiet hour or so of maths revision sat in a quiet department store restaurant, and didn't buy a thing, cheekily drank my own drink and got my text book out!

12. Was given a big bag of onions by a friend as she bought a bag forgetting she already had some, perfect timing as I used my last ones the other day!

13. Gorgeous cuddles with DD, the baby JJ was cute but not a patch on DD :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure