Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Options

Comments

• debbiet
    debbiet Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Netto for pop, diet pepsi and pepsi at about 68p for 2 litres. veg is usually pretty good and they have lots of big brand wines/beers at really good prices.

Aldi or lidl, can't remeber which have amarulah (sort of bailey's like liquour) for 3.99, it's over 10.00 in booths. It's gorgeous!
  • FGZstar
    FGZstar Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    NEVER buy ALDI's "apple pillows" as they are HORRIBLE with milk!
    Do, however, buy electrical Items as they last YONKS!
    :T :eek: :T :eek: :rotfl: :A :beer:
    Sometimes I feel I'd be better off dead, no, not me, U...... :eek:................................ :D
  • 1jacks64
    1jacks64 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl

Don't buy Lidl shoes. The soles are hard as rock and hurt your feet.
  • miamivice_2
    Options
    from my experience the fruit at Netto (wakefield) especially the tangerines and satsumas have been excellant and far better than morrisons or sainsburys
  • BargainHunterCat
    Options
    I buy pretty much all my shopping at Lidl, although the fruit and veg section is not always very reliable for availablility, but watch out for the 1/2 price fruit and veg campaigns which are very good value.

Definitely buy anything from the wine section - they do a very good Australian Cabernet Sauvignon for £2.99!

BUY
    - 3 in 1 Dishwasher tabs, best value on the market and very powerful
    - Crinkle cut crisps
    - Smoky bacon
    - Coleslaw - usually excellent although there has been the odd dodgy batch, look out for the ones with green cabbage in - yuck
    - Q10 Anti ageing cream - day & night versions available
    - Bottled water
    - Baked bean with sausages - as good as Heinz :T
    - Tinned Ravioli - (don't worry, no gristle!) Hubby is addicted to this!
    - Sea Shell Praline chocs - approx £1.69 only available at certain times of the year, make excellent xmas pressies.
    - Freeze Dried Coffee - check you're getting the pure Arabica one
    - Free Range Eggs - just watch out for the broken ones, the distribution centres don't pack their pallets too well!
    - Hovis Granary Bread - 54p (half the price than at other supermarkets!)
    - Any clothes you fancy - if they don't fit Lidl will refund or exchange them with no quibble. They have to because they do not have changing rooms.

DON'T BUY
    - Baked beans! They are "al dente" for some reason, passable in a corned beef hash though
    - Irish Cream (imitation Bailey's), not bad but this is cheaper in Tesco
    - Bananas - they tend to go off quickly and have a lot of bruises
    - Potatoes - they've not been too good recently, their supplier is letting them down.
    Debt 2007 £17k :(

Current Debt approx £7.5k :)

Target - to pay off all debts by 2020 :A
  • CossieMoJo
    Options
    Would recommend the:

Bottled fruit juice (esp. the health varieties) in the glass bottles
    Trolli youghurt foam sweets - have to be tasted to be believed! 99p a bag - worth it.
    Belgian shell-shaped chocs - in an almost identical package as the v expensive brand and just as delicious.
    Their own make of chocolate - Bellarom (not as good as Cadburys but still pretty good) and crisps (try the big bags of paprika flavour)
    Go on a Sunday and get freebies - bread and mangos!

Many of their special offer - Siemens coffee maker - £15, body fat analyser scales - made from toughened glass with infrared remote display and control - £10!! All German made.

Worried about quality? A few weeks ago I went to my local Lidl that had just opened 2 weeks before. Unfortunately, there had been a power cut the night before and all their refrigerated produce had been thrown out and they were full of apologies. So, needing milk, I went to the well-known household name supermarket over the road. No mention of power cut here, no empty shelves - just staff furiously mopping up their cooler shelves - got soaked off toughing the milk fridge unit. Hope this little helps (every bit does?) ;)

Don't know about Netto here but been to a couple in Denmark and much the same. Does anyone know if they sell Danish chocolate here like Yankee bars?
  • Maizie_Mouse
    Options
    What I buy on a regular basis

Lime scale remover - a fraction of the price of Viakal
    Dishwasher salt 75p per box
    Tinned Tuna - excellent
    Fruit juices
    Bottled water
    Tins of lentil soup
    Fresh meat
    Eggs
    Butter
    Cheese - great selection
    Flour
    Dried herbs
    Biccuits - often you can get branded items but thier own are good too.
    Crisps - often they sell walkers and hula hoops cheaper than the other supermarkets, but even thier own are good too.
    Only at Christmas - the chocolate coated almonds are fab.

My moto is their stuff is such good value that if I want to try it I will just buy 1 and if it is good I will buy again and if no good I won't. The same goes for the other 2 stores but I don't go to them as often as Lidl.

As said before watch out for the weekly offers a few weeks ago we got a fab Z- bed for £39.99 the same in Argos was double that for the same standard
  • yabbadoo
    Options
    BUY at Lidl - toilet tissue
    meat
    TOP BUY - TARGA COMPUTERS - had two, top spec components, super price
    Targa Athlon 1800+ - nearly 4 years old, still going strong
    2 months ago, Targa Athlon 3400 64 bit Gigabyte system with EVERY extra you could ever want or use (check out the website) with 3 year guarantee too! - all for £699 (new one out now is £749, but you can't even buy the same-spec parts for that money - I "costed" the basics out at Dabs.com, but there's almost £200 worth of "extras" - no screen, that's all that's missing.

Most of Lidl non-food "weekly" hardware offers are also VERY good value and quality (tools, kitchen stuff, garden tools and swingseats).

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • superteach38
    Options
    LIDL
    tinned tomatoes
    pasta sauce (dolmio-type stuff)
    orange / apple juice
    lunch box cartons of apple or orange juice
    granary bread
    wholemeal bread rolls are lovely
    ready grated cheddar cheese
    some wines are good - cab sauv 13%, shiraz 13% both about £3
    gin & vodka are also fine - once mixed with tonic, who knows?
    ice cream mars / snickers are bargains
    bread flour is also v cheap here if you use a bread maker
  • petergoff
    Options
    LIDL are a German company so buy anything they import directly. Their Westphalian ham is excellent, so are their bratwurst. If you've ever lived in Deutschland they'll bring back happy memories.

If you're ever in France and want to buy cheap wine Lidl's are on of the best sources. Their Bourgogne Grande Ordinaire at 1.99euros is excellent. They do Margaux for 8.50!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure