PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Nah floss, they all came from Lyn about 3 years ago. I've had summer fruiting every year. I cannat fathom it.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Stop the bus! I think they're new leaves ready to unfurl. So sorry!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Technically they ARE autumn fruiting raspberries and ours are doing the same thing! I'd just leave them and get a second crop, I've picked ours at the end of October and they've been just fine.

The 'scratter' is a big rotating drum set in a stand on legs like a huge cheese grater, but it's set sideways not upright and I can 'grate about 5 lbs of apples at a time in the hopper on top. We've also got a 50 litre press to the juice out of the grated apple pulp, it's quite hard work because it's all manual turning a handle and then operating the press and adjusting it as the pulp settles and the juice runs off but it's worth it for him to have his 'free' cider all through the winter, saves us much money and he likes it better than at the pub.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    I started to follow the bookworm thread on here but stopped after a week as I'd spent £30 on books in that week!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha

Have just ordered four books by Joe Donnelly.

I love Janet Evanovich and Charlaine Harris, also Keri Arthur and Kelley Armstrong, Thomas Perry and Mercedes Lackey, Anne Mc Caffrey and Mondessitt are favourites too.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Technically they ARE autumn fruiting raspberries and ours are doing the same thing! I'd just leave them and get a second crop, I've picked ours at the end of October and they've been just fine.

The 'scratter' is a big rotating drum set in a stand on legs like a huge cheese grater, but it's set sideways not upright and I can 'grate about 5 lbs of apples at a time in the hopper on top. We've also got a 50 litre press to the juice out of the grated apple pulp, it's quite hard work because it's all manual turning a handle and then operating the press and adjusting it as the pulp settles and the juice runs off but it's worth it for him to have his 'free' cider all through the winter, saves us much money and he likes it better than at the pub.

Crikey. They have behaved like summer fruiting. What should I do with the green cane come the end of the season. Should I leave it for next summer or cut to the ground like an autumn fruiting? Ta :D I hope they survive on the hill. They survived 2 house moves and umpteen road miles so here's hoping!

Guess what, guess what?! The fella who used to have my plot but moved to a bigger one has been in 'my' greenhouse watering his toms while I've been working. He's about 45 and just like us. He says his wife will be coming over a lot if there's another wifey. She's Russian and excellent a growing as her family grew a lot in her childhood in her homeland. The men folk are going to flip. :D

I hardly buy ooks. I dunno what my genre is because I don't like being scared or saddened so just opt for romance and that just gets boring. DH reads every night before he sleeps. He does fantasy books. I was handed the Lord of the Rings books when we first got together. I read them out of duress, to impress and bagged myself the fella. :D con artist :p
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well pratface is more polite than the name I have for my ex which begins with W, ends in r and rhymes with banker.

That's what I named mine and far more besides, none of which are printable on here :o

Fuddle excellent news re your former plot owners wife (sounds like the precis for a Midsomer Murder episode ;))...

Women of the plots unite and be gone with the male chauvinists who think they own the place (when they are actually just scared stupid they'll be out done by a woman and revert to the 'my courgette is bigger than yours' in an attempt to salvage their misplaced pride). :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fuddle - you might like R.F. Delderfield - A Horseman Riding By - a trilogy that's a family saga that runs from the Boer War to just after the second world war. Its really nice to follow the family through the changing times. He also wrote 'To serve them All my Days' which was serialised on TV many years ago about a schoolmaster (Bit like Mr Chips) The First Ladies Detective books are short and sweet and have lovely characters.
    What a turn up on the Lottie!! Go girls!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fuddle, sounds as though you may have found a soul mate. How wonderful. People can explain what to do in a garden but nothing beats someone showing you and, maybe, doing it with you.

Listen stoopid, its not the gardening that gives you stress, its the awkward squad who make it their mission in life to push other folk down in the hope that it will put them above everyone else.
    All your stress would seep away if you could give them a good punch on the nose. Sadly the local constabulary regards this unfavourably. Pity.

My cordon pear tree is absolutely laden. It is the same every year. They are Conference type pears and delicious. I also have a cordon apple tree that was never quite so prolific. Even less so this year as Dora has eaten most of the tree.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Thank you for suggesting books silvasava I'll go look into it. I'm waking at 4 every morning at the moment so to lie and read instead of getting up to 'read' the internet might squeeze a bit more out in terms of relaxation.

I'm fascinated by cordon fruit trees monna. Lots to research before I invest though because they're an expensive investment and I don't want to muck it up.

Well I'm bouncing excitably all over my plot so they didn't win. :D

Right I must not bore you with any more allotment talk. I started a blog last night that way I can get it out of my system and leave you all in peace.

R F Delderfield where are you?!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure