PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ohhh who mentioned books ? It is my favourite pastime, in fact I even worked in the library for 10 years until my DD was born, my kind of heaven, my dream job I suppose. I have a kindle but I prefer a book as I like the feel of turning the page. Ok I know I'm weird :rotfl:. I always have my head in a book, mainly horror now ( that started with Edgar Allen Poe in "Murders in the Rue Morgue" which I read at about 11) but I will read any genre I can get my hands on ! Unfortunately no one in my family has any passion for books, it was always just me and my late Mum. I am hopeful that my DGD will follow me as she always wants a story read to her. I'll be glad when she can read them herself. :)
    Burtha can I come to the party please ? I can bring a bottle and my own sandwiches :D. Don't forget to put on FB what a great time you had on your girls night out ! ( So a certain someone can read how you are getting on with our life and not curling up in a corner because he left you )
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I absolutely love paranormal horror - but because I'm trying to act normal in here I won't mention it. ;)
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good question Monna , thinking about it the last year I suppose he has opted out of stuff with kids , but we did do stuff together if that makes sence ...
    Just came I from a run ....better than screaming ....
    Ran around between 8 and 9 with kids ... normal teenage stuff , not being in the right place at said time , phone ringing and them not hearing it , then when j do get ds , his glasses are broken ***
    So feed them then a run .... and breath ....
    normal teenagers and it's not them I am annoyed with ....
    Let's see what happens over the next day or so ....
    £223/ £250 GC
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I read a lot of books about boarding schools when I was at primary school but I don't think I read Chalet School books. I also read Billy Bunter, Biggles, Just William, Swallow and Amazons, lots and lots more. Black beauty and some others about horses, Pollyanna and Anne of Greengables. I was allowed three books a week from the local library, so when I had read them I used to borrow from the boy next door. Hence books like Biggles. I think that gave me a taste for Nevil Shute when was older. I've read all of his several times.

I read all the books that were on the list of what you should read before you die in my teens like, Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm, Lolita and the Harold Robbins stuff too. All of A J Cronin's books, several sagas but the only one I remember was the White Oak Family.

I then developed a taste for philosophy so I read a lot of that and I studied world religions, how I managed to pass all my nursing exams with all that. I also read two or three Si Fi a week and hundreds of detective novels must have read just about everything written in the 30s 40s 50s, All the stuff that was done on TV from then.

My favourite author at the moment is Kate Atkinson, have 3 of hers to be read, and I have 7 Ian Rankin books waiting for me to read.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I absolutely love paranormal horror - but because I'm trying to act normal in here I won't mention it. ;)

Says the wee wummin who was out hunting poor wee ducks and anything vaguely edible :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good to see you burtha . Enjoy your night out . The thread party will be when you get your freedom and you and yours start a new life .
    Monna has been nominated planner .
    For now get in training .
    It's just a jump to the left , and then a step to the right ........

Sleep tight all
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just spotted your post NM. I would never as a child have had access to a wealth of books if it weren't for public libraries .Money was tight for most in the 50s and the free libraries took us into what would become a life long world of books .
    It's sad now to see the percentage that have closed or are due to do so . I know there are online books but to me there is nothing to replace the feel of a book . Kindles have a place but to me " The book is always best "
    When my children came along paperbacks were affordable so we would go to the bookshop every few weeks .
    My life would have been much poorer without the libraries .

Hope you're getting a bit more sleep .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just spotted your post NM. I would never as a child have had access to a wealth of books if it weren't for public libraries .Money was tight for most in the 50s and the free libraries took us into what would become a life long world of books .

My life would have been much poorer without the libraries .

Hope you're getting a bit more sleep .
    polly x

Mine too. I used to spend Saturday afternoons at the library.

Strangely, I hate book shops
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 5:50AM
    Options
    Funny that VJs but book shops annoy me too. The older, second hand ones give me the wullies and the new ones stress me out because they confuse the delight of books with commerce and marketing. Well, we've known for a bit now that I'm not quite wired up correctly haven't we? :D

DH put my raised bed in for bee attracting flowers and my herbs last night. My plan is to use bits of black polythene that litters the plot to wrap the wood hopefully slow the rotting process down and digging in my rabbits litter. I've sown green manure on part of the brassica bed that won't be used this winter and will do the same on the new bed once a few litter drops have been incorperated. I'm a little pig in muck right now. DH spoke to the warden last night too :D the warden 'very kindly' agreed that I could used an intact fence panel to grow cordoned fruit trees. I say 'kindly' as DH pointed out that the wire sidings on the pigeon crees were much higher ;) today I'm emailing the council about not getting my tenancy agreement yet so will mention this too. I doubt the council will care but I want it documented just incase of silly bugga tactics again.

Youngest DD has taken her fairy garden kit over and made the pond 'nice'. She was been gathering stones for the front so we can plant our succulents we brought from Dorset that kind of haven't had a home since and she's been smashing tiles from the plot rubbish to make a mosaic. She's loving pottering amongst the muck but eldest just sat there with her esrphones in earnwhilst on her phone. My worst nightmare is happening folks. I hope it's just a phase and she'll come out the other end with my ethos firmly intact.

So today consists of washing and ironing catch up. I'm so behind :eek: who says a housewife doesn't have time to allotment eh?!:rotfl:

I'm so sorry that I have spilled rubbish grammar all over the post. I'm on the tablet as my laptop has gone again. I dont think I'm going to renew it as they just dont last me 5 minutes. Tablet it is but I can assure you it's more painful for me than it is you. :rotfl:
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

OH off to school to start prepping for results day tomorrow and I'll be off in to Uni later for some meetings and training. I have a few letters to write this morning. I didn't get an early work start today as I'll finish at the normal time so will have a more leisurely morning. We're off out to pilates tonight so will have a simple bean salad for tea before that. I have some sandwiches and blueberries in my pack up and the school will feed OH.

I went for a walk yesterday--the blackberries need a few weeks yet, but the heather is in full bloom and the hills are purple. Lovely sight :D

Burtha, stay strong. You're doing marvelously and turning all of this energy into running really is fabulous.

We had weekly family trips to the library and each came out with an armload. It saddens me that local libraries are closing, but then I struggle to use them regularly as I find most things have to be ordered in from the central library and I'm not that organized. Of course, one of the best bits about my job is Uni library access. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning, we've got Cookie doggie until Friday and how lovely it was this morning to come downstairs to a waggy tail and a happy greeting! She's out with He Who Knows for a nice walk at the moment so I'll do what needs doing in the house earlier than normal. A friend contacted him while we were away to say his apples were ready and falling off the tree so most of the rest of the day when I'm not ironing the holiday washing will be blitzing apples in the scratter to press for cider, it gets earlier every year in fact I'm aware of apple trees dropping fruit all round the village so it's not just our old cooker tree doing it.

BURTHA my lovely if I were you I'd not just enthuse on face book about a girls night out, if you want to make a point to Pratface (love it!) many reflections on the freedom of not having to accommodate a male being in your life and how much nicer it is when you can do and think and say whatever YOU want to without having to factor in him might just ruffle his complacent little feathers and cause him to think! Polite revenge girlie is very satisfying!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback