PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone :hello:

Long time no posting. Nothing personal, I can assure you! I spent 5 weeks working down the road from my parents' house, earning extra money over the holiday to pay for my next jaunt to Dubai next year. DH says he gets "time off" ;) Great to spend time with my parents, but equally as great to see DH again.

Pleasures for the last few days:

1) Started a new teaching job a mere 6 minutes walk from home. This means that I'll be saving more £££ with many NPDs! :j :j Children were back in school last Thursday and I've walked to school on both days of teaching and on one day of setting up my classroom. It would have been more, but the heavy boxes which needed lugging were too much to walk with.

2) Caught up with various friends, whom I hadn't seen over the summer.

3) The cat is becoming braver! She loves to pop in and out of the cat flap... and in and out... and in and out... You get the idea?! ;):D

4) Finished a number of books. Many more still to be read.

5) Earned a few pounds on TopCashback, which is brilliant! All things I'd have bought anyway, for the right price... and I use my Avois credit card too. Win-win!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been busy as both DS2 at home and all routine gone.

1. Been picking veg from the garden. DS1 phoned me yesterday asking where were the potatoes which he had to dig before he cooked them.

2. Lovely meal at work with colleagues to say goodbye to someone who will be missed. The new job will be better for his family though. Restaurant accepted vouchers for 18 and not just for 6 which was maximum number stated.

3. DS1 enjoying his job. Drinking loads of hot chocolate as is free. He occasionally drinks tea but dislikes coffee. He is taking lunch in daily to save money for when he moves out.

4. DH happier at moment. Starting to see the situation with his mum in a better light. He will never get her approval as that's reserved for estranged sister. Mum fell out with her 30 years ago. I came to terms years ago that I would never, in her opinion, match up to the daughter.

5. On holiday later. Self catering in france the weather is good.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popping in to share my pleasures of today .

Not dreadfully busy at work which meant I had a chance to bake most of the morning, made apple and raspberry muffins which were lovely, lemon meringue cupcakes which were delicious! ( I don't normally eat 'em but they looked so nice) , teeny tiny yoyos ( custard creams) for a catering event and normal sized ones and carrot cakes.
    I just enjoyed being in my kitchen with the occasional foray out to the front in the morning and then spent the afternoon out the front which was nice too.
    One more shift to go.

Psychologist from hospital ( to do with cancer team ) called me and has emailed me some details for getting some counselling sorted. On my to do list!

I'd to top up my travel card for the first time in about 4 months today! Think that's pretty good going!

We went to see the steam train passing through in a very steamy way last night. Woowoo!

Watched casualty when I came in from work.....not such a sad second episode frith!

It's stayed dry so far today after a wet last few days.

It was daylight , actual daylight when I left the house at 6.30am

Right, I'd better go and look in the fridge for some inspiration!

Have a fabulous bank holiday :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 August 2015 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Morning all, last day in ice cream town for a while :(

Pleasures of late
    1. Had an ice cream :D. Would've been rude not to - have been very good and only had three this year :T
    2 a garden full of dahlias - I love dahlias, they are my favourite flower
    3 watching the Dyfi Osprey Project, via Facebook and live from the train on my way to Brum - saw Monty the male in full swoop a few days ago. He will be gone within the week - mum and kids already gone ahead.
    4 a wonderful walk up Tarren Hendre - a mountain very local to here. Great company with friends and it didn't rain
    5. Works been ok, had some laughs and got stuff done whilst manning the clearing hotline.
    had a farewell meal with colleague who is retiring, I was on water and tea (fast day) but still managed to shock everyone with some risqu! jokes :rotfl:
    6 some lovely evenings with friends. One couple have also bought a house here and last night was the "last hoorah" for their caravan. 13 and a dog we got in it :rotfl: did a solitary moonlit bike ride home (about 4 miles) - OH has to work today so had to go back last night :(
    7 last day of work for DD today. She has done really well, I am very proud of her. When the cafe ran out of cake, she set to and made more - not everyone would think of, or be able to do, that. Sounds like you Mhags :D
    8. Caught up with old friends at the members bar. One, SiLs brother, gets increasingly better looking with age <<sigh>>:cool:
    9 met up with an OSer from another thread (Konmarie thread). I have never done anything like that before and was a bit nervous, but she was lovely and we spent 5 hours yakking - and drinking tea and eating cake :D
    10. :rotfl: at OH yesterday, he was washing up. First he smashed a glass (cue loud swearing), then he dropped a knife (more loud swearing), then he smashed a plate (really loud swearing). All within about 2 minutes :eek: he was :mad:but was so funny that I just had to laugh, he got over it :D

Have a great day all, home for me at the end of DDs shift. School tomorrow for DS :(. Though he said he's ready to go back...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi peeps.

Soggy bagpuss reporting for duty.

Pleasures from our camping weekend.
    1.Setting up the big tent all by myself as hubby had to work. Was v proud as I had never put a tent up on my own before plus I felt slightly smug as the couple next door took a very long time to put up a much smaller tent with the two of them lol
    2. Watching the littles run around making international friends. This time it was polish and Germans, play transverses any language barriers:D
    3. Swimming then fish and chips whilst snuggly in our tent and the rain beating down
    4. Trot out to local museum,where we were thrilled to discover they were holding an African carnival, lots of lovely music and crafts.
    5. Managing to get 2 suitcases, 3 rucksacks, 1 tent, 1 shopping trolley, 4 sleeping bags on a train and bus in pouring rain. Who needs a car lol

A sneaky 6th. Home, hot running water and warmth but also seeing my two biggest littles.
    Hope you've all enjoyed your weekend xx
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Emergency PM2DD It's over! Finished Kaput! Sack the lot of the bleeding donkeys. I as seen better down by the pier!

Ah, that's made my day. Apart from the fishing mate thingy on Buck of Face. Big fish, nice!

5 Bin ups top FiL and up the Creeks. Proper right up the creek, just south of Sutton, but away from Ingoldmells. Creeky! Lovely place and ice cream.

4 Now you not hear BoP be beat, but BoP was beat! Only just! See PM2DD, Steels challenge. Scampi, fresh caught on Fish Dock No:1. Thursday was nicely swimming, on Friday swimming in proper dripping! With salad, see balance is good for you. Plate, with bread and butter washed and licked, Clean! Jumbo haddock and chips, washed away with tea. Plate cleaned! Jelly ice cream, shuddered! Oh no, not quite finished. BoP beat!

3 Odlins. Nice, near FiL. Snorkers. Proper. Good! Grilled, with toms, mushroom, SpagIYETTI. Lovely. Washed with tea. And room tomorrow for proper monster foods!

2 Nite is film nite, think some Ginger. Nice, see fishing above. Lovely!

We need more than a carrot for the donkey, we need to retire this lot of old hags!
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah, VJs mum, I am very close to the Rutland Osprey Project. Two chicks from there have gone ahead and the rest will follow suit shortly. I used to teach at a school which was VERY close to the nesting site, so we could walk there. Incredible birds!

Pleasures for today:

1) Lie-in. I haven't had a proper lie-in for weeks due to my summer work. I forget what *not* actually having a break does to me.

2) Went to a local (free) museum/art gallery. Some interesting pieces of art and artefacts, relating to the locality. Made me realise how little I know. :o

3) Started a new book.

4) Ironing done - thanks to DH, admittedly ;).

5) Caught up with the Great British Bake Off from last week - at last!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 August 2015 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Summer Bank Holiday. This is England. Winter food.
    No 'just in' from & ce soir.
    Not even out today, at all, except to trail/splash to bay tree. 2 leaves for overnight slow-cooker oxtail. Hope it's a tomorrow pleasure - avec baby carrots, slivered orange peel, red wine, leek, onion, worcester sauce, sage leaves, broad beans, garlic. On verra. In usual & oxtail vein, time-proven, acclaimed by 2 Maîtres d' with Michelin* restaurants in early 70s South of France:-) Another life then.

1. Repeat: Summer Bank Holiday in albion. So, thunderous clouds dark and low, heavy persistent rain all day long, windy at times, sodding drenching gloom partout. Why am I here? Might have a verre du vin I mistakenly opened for preamble^^^. Afterwards, saw label read Hauts de Bel-Air, Grand Vin de Bordeaux, Medaille d'Or, Concours International Gilbert& Gaillard, which is a reputable one. Oh well...

2. Still have this from last Mon's funeral/Memorial. Son visited well aware Dad[94] each day with chat and report on harvest[big farmers], then 'I'm really going to miss you Dad.' Dad hugged son and whisper replied 'I dont know if I'll miss you but I'm soon going to find out.' Next day...

3. Shiny 5p reverbe at bus stop. Rare these days.

4, Eduardo Mendoza - 'An Englishman in Madrid.'
    Just finished - marvellous book, marvellous writer and marvellous man, by sound of things. More & ignorance and shame; had never heard of him. Chance Library pick. More to hunt down.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Mendoza_Garriga.
    Almost shares &'s b'day[scraping at proximity of a self-flattering kind :-)]
    Mcc - have you come across him? Big recommend to all.

3. Vicarage greengages are now an intriguing compote jam. Pitted, quartered, raw sugar over, lemon juice. Cover overnight.
    Grate in 4 granny smith apples. Bring to simmer, cool, cover, fridge overnight with vanilla pod! That's what it said. Finish normally. Just done.

4. Oh all right, I confess. Started the parliamentary chocs won last week. Numnum.

5. Various sticks. albion ladies did well with theirs yesterday, despite 0-2 down with 9 mins to go. & loved hockey at school; loved having weapon to run with is probable truth. More sticks today, willow ones, girls and boys, meant 2 more wins, last one even more unlikely. albion, full of surprises.
    #
    If anyone recalls &post re: 50-day transit email from enzed the other day, please read this from near village friend:
    'A postcard arrived from you on Saturday from St Joseph Village - dated 10 juillet by you; PTT dated 24-07-15; arrival date 22nd August! So thank you, and I hope it enjoyed whatever it did/wherever it went in between times! '
    44 days. enzed email took 50.

To which, add nonsense of 2 nights ago. Phone actually rang! Loud, long, & answered ...and answered...and answered.... France talking to &. France not hearing & talk to France. Then France getting v. aerated in fury, ripe expostulations re; blutty thing. damned blutty blutties etc.etc, all in accent of cut-glass... &? &? Can you hear me? it's me...' On and on it goes. Then it happened again...and then it happened again. My turn to try again tonight.
    #
    Bonne nuit.
    Might be hwb again.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MHags - have you done all 4 Casualty episodes now? The 3rd is the hardest!

Can't remember 5 for yesterday but I did pick 4 bags of blackberries for the freezer, in between showers and we all enjoyed the 4th episode of Casualty!

Pleasures for today (Monday, confusingly).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son down to "one stitch and one long length". His finger is easing up (all shades of blue with purple bands round) and his broken foot is OK in its big boot and he is faster on his crutches.

3) Went out for lunch.

4) Went swimming with my brother. Smaller son's first swimming since very early August.

5) Pie for tea made from yesterday's roast chicken and veg with puff pastry top. Then cherry pie and/or sticky toffee pudding. After all that, they're just having a bowl of cereal...

6) Plumber texted me to see if water is working. I said it is boiling (steam billowing when you run a tap) and that could he tell me how to turn the thermostat down a bit. He has chosen to pop over tomorrow to do it himself and show me at the same time.

7) All cats very fussy tonight despite food and left over chicken pie. One on my legs right now.

8) Sons are watching Shrek (I can't listen to his silly accent) and I am looking forward to radio 4 later. Was it Clue this evening?
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2015 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Catching up as have been very slack! Busy, busy, busy - no idea how I have time to go to work!!! But needs must and back tomorrow - really not looking forward to it!!!

pleasures for last few days:

1. Visit to Ironbridge was good - museums were fab and didn't cost a penny for 3 annual passes courtesy of TescoClubcard - will go back!

2. DD1 home and frantic baking session yielded 60 cupcakes which raise £91 for her trip to Senegal at her Church Bake sale

3. DD3 and DS gone to their dads - but just for 2 days - loved the peace last night (bath and book! - so rock an roll!) but missing them today!

4. Fantastic walk with Dolly Dog along the Llangollen canal - I think I am developing thing for old feats of engineering!!! good for clearing my head too!!!

5. Today has been another chill day - should be being productive but decided to just relax! Book finished - Secret life of bees! recommended by someone on here (can't remember who sorry!) - loved it and need another recommendation please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure