IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Court Action

Options

Comments

• smithy2121
    Options
    Driver8 wrote: »

I do not believe you.

Then stop commenting. I came on this site to get some advice not to be called a liar. Yes, my 1st post was a little OTT but I was upset. Since then I like to think I have been succinct and explained everything I have been asked clearly.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2011 at 4:14AM
    Options
    Unfortunately there are many examples of PPC's posing as punters, and try to get the "we'll get you in court" message across. FWIW it does not really matter if OP is a PPC troll. All we can do is reply based on the information given and try help him/her build the best defence and help them win. If that advice is apparently ignored and the PPC "wins" - then we can all go moaning about trolls. My opinion at present is the OP is genuine and PE are trying their hand at a few cases based on misguided legal advice. When they get their hand burnt, which they will if OP is genuine and enters an appropriate defence, they won't try it again.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2011 at 8:40AM
    Options
    First thing to do today is to phone the court to check if the claim is genuine or just one of the very underhand tricks they try to get you to pay. Its not unknown for them to photocopy a real set of papers to send to you without actually going as far as registering it. Still get onto pepipoo, they are not just about legal tickets and will give very good advice if a post gives all the facts.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • anewman
    Options
    On Pepipoo it appears the claim is genuine as it comes up on MCOL.
  • Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2011 at 2:11PM
    Options
    I don't believe the OP should pay the penalty obviously.

I do believe they should defend it at Small Claims.

BUT I have to suggest they get an eye test..Parking Eye will make far more money out of honest decent people paying and displaying than they ever will out of these penalties.
    Simple maths tells us this , if 12 people pay they have £60 and if one person does not they can try to extort get £60 from them.

Unless of course all the P & D money is going to the car park owner and Parking Eye only make money from their made up penalties ..but the landowner is still going to want people to see the signs and pay him not pay Parking Eye a penalty !
    I don't believe that a proportion of more than 1 in 12 people fail to pay in this car park.
    There must be signs that are reasonably evident even if you are in a rush ..to do it once is just about believable (maybe) ..but twice ??
    Sorry but I am very sceptical and whilstIi don't support PPCs I don't support people taking the p*ss and not paying when they should either ..
  • anewman
    Options
    Sirdan wrote: »
    There must be signs that are reasonably evident even if you are in a rush ..to do it once is just about believable (maybe) ..but twice ??Sorry but I am very sceptical and whilstIi don't support PPCs I don't support people taking the p*ss and not paying when they should either ..
    I agree people should pay for a service they use and not take the mick. However, it is quite understandable someone in a rush may miss a car park changing from free to payable on two occasions. Poverty of information in signs is quite common with PPC's who try to make more money from their charges. I'd be interested in seeing the signs displayed on entry, near where parked, and where leaving on foot though to see if there's any validity to the suggestion of missing signs. If it goes to court on missing signs alone, chances are the OP will lose and Parking Eye will come around the forums harping about their victory.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    On Pepipoo it appears the claim is genuine as it comes up on MCOL.

Allegedly ...still time will tell no doubt. if this is fake they are certainly pulling out all the stops to make it look genuine ..on balance it probably is real.

have to wonder why pannone think they can win this for PE ..£60 going up to £120 if not paid .?..if that isn't stonewall evidence that it is a penalty I don't know what is !!
  • smithy2121
    smithy2121 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everybody for help with this, it is much appreciated.

Sirdan, maybe I do need an eye test, but as I have tried to explain on Pepipoo the car park always had a sign up but it did not include weekends. Do you re-read the same thing every time you go past something, or after a while do you presume it still says the same as it did the last 10 times?

I would never ever deliberately not pay for parking when I knew I had to, and if the company had requested £10 from me in the first place (the amount I feel I actually owe) then I would have paid it with no problem. I even considered sending a letter offering this amount but all forums (including this one) said I should ignore all correspondence. Even now I am more than happy to pay £10 and want to offer that, but if I do so I am accepting that I was the driver.

Pepipoo are being great with this also, thanks to people for pointing me there.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2014 at 1:53AM
    Options
    OLD THREAD - STOP READING!!

See my signature - click one click to page one of the CURRENT forum and read the NEWBIES FAQs thread. Tells you about POPLA and appealing and winning.

SOME PARKING FORMS ARE SUING IGNORERS IN 2013 AND 2014 - SO DO NOT IGNORE A PRIVATE PARKING COMPANY!!!!!!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure