PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all!
    I have received info about the chain today. Someone at the top of the chain technically isn’t in the chain (assume that they don’t need to sell before they can buy?) but they are choosing to wait to sell before buying the new property so we are just waiting for them. Why bother saying it’s chain free if you’re relying on that purchase....!! Some people :huh::huh::undecided
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    RXT that sucks but people do have different definitions and also change their mind for legitimate reasons. We advertised as chain free because we could technically buy cash without selling, we were also prepared to move out if a buyer wanted to move quickly. But our buyer has moved so slowly (3 months not exchanged yet) that in that time we've found a house to buy and want to tie the timings together. That house would wipe out our savings if we paid cash so we are still cash buyers to our vendors but reliant on sale.

First-time buyers - hurrah!!! Congrats. All I'd say is expect the unexpected (this is our third purchase but the first time we've "fought" over fittings aka "washing-machine-gate" in our household lol! This is also the first time we've bought and sold at same time, fun fun fun getting a mutually convenient move date for 6 parties.

Katapolt I'm a control freak too I feel your pain. I'm also not working at the moment (we are relocating across the country) so I have WAY too much time to freak out

Cheerydaff oh poor after all that. Our timelines are pretty similar overall. We're just waiting on our buyer's lender decision due imminently. He's already had one rejection
  • middy991
    Options
    Sent our deposit to solicitors today nd they say there just waiting on mortgage company to say their happy with the jobs they wanted done by the solicitor
  • liquoricet
    Options
    Hello, we're 2nd time buyers and it's all frustratingly slow.

Randomly, our next door neighbours are buying our house (cash buyers). We agreed to their offer early September and went house shopping!
    23rd October we had an offer accepted on a house.
    1st November we sent off all our paperwork to Leeds Building society.
    9th November we heard our mortgage application is accepted subject to valuation but 1st date surveyor could do was 20th November. Unfortunately that doesn't suit our vendor so it's being done 27th November :(

We've had queries back on our sale, hoping it all goes through as neighbour is in Pakistan sorting out the money. (Think he's back 20th December).

Once the valuation is done solicitors will do searches and I'm really hoping we'll exchange before Xmas and then move the 1st week of January as I'm off work as it's school holidays. I'll let you know how I get on!!! We got the property info form from our vendor today....
  • RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    JoJo thanks for your reply! It’s good to see if from another’s perspective, there is no real rush for me to move I was hoping to be in before Christmas but I’m accepting the fact that I probably won’t now but that is ok! I think somewhere in the chain there’s an empty house but they are waiting to sell before they buy. Never thought it would be all so stressful!

Also, anyone every had a really stingy seller that is taking toilet roll holders? :rotfl: just me ?! 😂😂😂
  • liquoricet
    Options
    Blimey that's stingy! We've just had the what is included form and our vendor is being kind, it includes curtains, blinds, the shed and most white goods (we've got them anyway so will pass some good will along).
  • Sanand
    Options
    Hello - think next milestones are generally:
    • all solicitor enquiries complete
    • solicitor's report received
    • contracts received
    • contracts exchanged
    • Completion!

Fingers crossed for you :)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,740 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks! :hello: Fingers crossed some of us can get in for Christmas at least :D

Just updating my Spreadsheet of Blame :rotfl: :rotfl: I keep track of who is responsible for the lack of progress on any given day - whose court is the ball in? Current totals are:

Us: 27 days (mostly doing more viewings before accepting offer, and finding new house to buy)
    Broker: 23 days
    Lender: 41 days (can combine these two as I'm not always sure who was to blame...)
    Solicitor: 12 days
    Buyer: 20 days (we waited for them to sell their house - and now they're having to sell again)
    Seller: 16 days (mostly solicitor not responding to things)

Our mortgage was the main huge delay so that's a combination of broker (putting us in for inappropriate mortgage) and lender having a three day turnaround on any piece of paper or phone call, even ones just correcting their own minor mistakes.

Solicitor is winning so far - just 12 days (all these totals include weekends) and he had to create a new title plan for the house :rotfl: Extra brownie points for him (I'm sure he would have caused more delay but it was masked by the mortgage...)

Buyer was doing brilliantly until they lost their buyer last week - now they're racking up more days and have overtaken the seller, and will soon overtake us...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: All very silly, but it's keeping me amused through the endless waiting. I might send them all certificates at the end :rotfl:
  • clairesilverspar
    Options
    Nearly three weeks with nothing heard from solicitor. She's ignoring voicemails and e-mails. No idea where we're up to or if results of searches have been received back.
    I've not heard anything from the Seller's EA - maybe I should contact him to see if he's aware of any hold up.
    Any ideas on how to provoke her into giving me an update? Only thing I can think of would be speak to the supervising partner but I think I'd want to avoid this if I can.
  • chrissie83
    Options
    Cheery- you have made me laugh :)
    I'm sorry to hear of the troubles some of you are having.over the past couple of weeks
    Over the past couple of weeks our buyer has his mortgage offer, I've answered his solicitors enquiries, had not 1 but 2 damp & timber surveys done, which I think (&hope!) He is happy with. Our side our mortgage is agreed subject to valuation ( next Monday ) & searches are being done now. We have returned all paperwork to our solicitor. Does anyone know what else is left to be done after searches & hopefully our mortgage offer ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback