PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Flutterbat17
    Options
    Amateur house - sounds like you’re going through a lot trying to get a house! How old is the property?

Google Peter Ward if you haven’t heard about him already.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,737 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ougat wrote: »
    Oh Cheery Daff .. I do wish you will be able to leave this thread at some stage.. I am now coming back just to check your progress and keep up to date with your Spread sheet of blame and shame..

To all the new users in this thread welcome and good luck, lots of patience and speedy dealings with local council searches, sellers, estate agents and everyone else involved in this whole process..

We are suppose to complete on Friday but by sheer luck and a fantastic seller we actually have the keys for our house already. The lovely woman did not want to drive all the way to the estate agent only for us to go and fetch the keys from them again the next day.. So now we are home packing boxes and go all giddy every now and then that we have an actual house that is ours (and the bank's) .. We will wait till Friday to get the call from the solicitors and on Saturday we are taking very important easily breakables to the house.. Unload and admire the house, and then come back to our rental to do the rest of the packing on Sunday ready for the move on Monday.

We still have our rental place till end of Dec so we are totally relaxed about everything mostly.. Thank goodness we budgeted for it .. and still have the place will be good as I will use it while working in Dec.. Enough time to do a proper clean and paint job.. our landlady is a friend so I really want this place to be spotless as she is putting it on the market..

Oh and good news for the first time buyers and stamp duty.. Luckily we bought a place that did not require stamp duty..

:rotfl: Ougat at you coming back to check on my Spreadsheet of Blame :rotfl: I too hope to leave this thread at some point - although it's now going to be well after Christmas (and we're kind of hoping for after mid-Jan payday as that'll give us extra savings to fix the trampoline-like floorboards :eek: )

So pleased you're finally in, and you too alchopops :j :j Gives hope to us all :D

Excellent news for first time buyers too :T Sadly I don't count, even though this is the first house I've bought. My partner bought the one we're selling nearly 30 years ago, and I've since been put on the deeds so am already a homeowner. I've never bought one before, but apparently that doesn't count :p

I feel strangely relaxed about our current lack of progress - mainly because it's not actually MY fault any more so nobody is chasing me :D :rotfl:
  • amateur_house
    amateur_house Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2017 at 11:39PM
    Options
    Amateur house - sounds like you’re going through a lot trying to get a house! How old is the property?

Google Peter Ward if you haven’t heard about him already.

House built around 1930.

I hadn't heard of Peter Ward, but just looked him up.

I think there probably is damp, valuation said the floor was springy and came back as £0.
    I had an independent damp survey done an a previous house, but the lender wanted costings for remedial work this time so I had to get quotes.

I believe there is damp as the ground level outside the house is too high, but would rather get that sorted and clean out the airbricks before paying for chemicals to be injected into the walls!
    I don't know if that is enough to get rid of the weevils though.
  • JoJo1978
    Options
    Ah, another day nearly done. Our buyer had his survey report back today. He forwarded it to the estate agent with 15 "concerning" paragraphs highlighted. No specific questions but he wanted our response on said paragraphs by return.

It's been a super-fun evening second guessing WTaF he might be worried about! I was actually super proud of how well our ole house performed :)

Oh, he also left it to today to mention that gas and electric safety certs were a requirement for his investor mortgage. When he knew 12 weeks ago. Would we mind just organising and paying for those in the next 72 hours before exchange. (He' OS)

Finally... He was corrected today when he thought he could exchange on the basis of his AIP in lieu of having a formal mortgage offer yet. Bless :rotfl:
  • Flutterbat17
    Options
    amateur house - hope the damp can get sorted quickly, we’re purchasing a 150+ year old house which also has damp issues, although we haven’t had trouble with a mortgage or valuations.

Ours is mainly down to dodgy guttering, cement render/plaster and also high ground level on parts and all of it needs repointing with lime mortar and the cement hacking out. (We have got loads to do!) Part of the house already has chemical injections damp proof concrete floors and membrane :( which I don’t believe have done anything to help matters!

Just found out tonight hubbys parents still haven’t sorted the gifted deposit form out!!! 3 Weeks they have had it! :mad::eek:
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    seller wants to exchange the weekend I have a urgent commitment /deadline elsewhere in January (which falls on the same weekend). I told him I can do any other date after my deadline for work, but yesterday giving me excuses how he loses annual leave etc if the deal is not done then. Any suggestions?
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Mutley74 exchange and completion require sols so only take place mon-fri. Do you mean Friday so would move in over the weekend after you complete.

Neither of you need to do anything on exchange day itself apart from a quick call/email to solicitor to say ok to go ahead.

Completion doesn't need to happen straight away and you can negotiate a mutually convenient time before exchange that suits both of your schedules.

I can understand someone's desire to get to the point of exchange quickly though because that's when the deal becomes a lot more certain to complete.
  • Katapolt
    Options
    Quick question!

I should be getting my amended mortgage offer through in 48 hours ( managed to get 5K off the price, WIN!)

How long then once my solicitors have that mortgage offer should i reasonably be expecting to wait until we sign something for exchange? I know it can very much be a piece of string, but my solicitor keeps saying "lets see where we are at when it comes through" which is about as unhelpful as they can be.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,737 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sadly Katapolt, your solicitor is right.

They'll need to wait until the searches are back - and that will depend on how fast the local authority goes.

Then they might need to ask questions of your sellers - and they might take weeks to answer them.

If all the searches are already back, and all the queries are already done, and the sellers have already signed and returned their contracts, then theoretically it probably doesn't need to take more than a few days to get to exchange (everyone will need to agree a date which I suppose can take a while!)

If, however, none of those things have happened, you could still be waiting several weeks.

And as we found out last week, even when you've signed everything and everyone is ready for exchange, something else may still go wrong leading to a delay of another few weeks!

Whoever on here said the best house-buying advice they'd had was to take up yoga was right... :rotfl:
  • JoJo1978
    Options
    How long is the complete chain Katapolt? Sorry if you've already said before.

Regardless of whether your links are ready exchange will only happen if everyone else is at that stage to, and you can agree a mutually convenient completion date.

If you're not in a chain these are clues you may be getting close to exchange:
    - Sol asks you to confirm suitable planned exchange and completion dates
    - Sol sends you draft statement and you transfer that balance to them
    - Sol confirms all searches are back
    - You sign draft contracts

It can be painfully slow but as I'm discovering today my buyer CAN move quickly when he realises he's about to lose it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback