Emirates Missed connection at DUBAI

Options

Comments

• Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

No I didn't use a solicitor, my initial claim was turned down by Emirates, so I sought advice from Bott and Co, but they were to windy to take the case on

I am going to wait another month and then write again to Emirates as this would clearly be sufficient time for their alleged appeal to be lodged, or their request for a review, I will then take it up through the CAA etc, I was hoping that Emirates would abide by the ruling, but clearly not yet.

HC

araeho wrote: »
    Hi Happy Chappy,

Can I ask how you are getting on. We are is the same position. Just about to write to Emirates with our claim.

Did you use a solicitor and if so which one?

Thanks

Andrew.

QUOTE=Happychappy;73464081]Following the Buckley ruling as my claim is identical

Emirates delayed the flight from Manchester for just over two hours which missed the connecting flight in Dubai to Sydney, which meant being stuck in the airport for 9 hours before the next flight and Zero help from Emirates with refreshments etc

I was initially told by Botts Solicitors I had no chance of compensation and they wouldn't attempt or support a claim as the flight although booked from Manchester to Sydney all with Emirates, the flight was out the UK/Europe so I couldn't claim, fortunately a legal firm with more backbone supported the Buckleys and won their claim

Now this ruling has changed, I wrote to Emirates, who said they are waiting for the Supreme Court to rule.

Dear Customer

Emirates takes all customer complaints involving flight delays very seriously.

We note the Court of Appeal’s ruling in relation to the application of EC261 on our flights from the UK involving a stopover in Dubai, we are currently awaiting to hear from the Supreme Court who we have asked to look into this matter further. Once this has been finalised, depending upon that outcome, you can resend your claim for further review.

Yours sincerely

Emirates.
    [/QUOTE]
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the CAA state, the CoA ruling is now English law. And as far as we know, the SC haven't given leave to appeal the appeal ruling from the CoA.
    For those making claims I would suggest you make claims of interest to be added at the outset. The delay before resolution could be considerable. Nothing happens quickly in the higher courts.
    1st the SC has to decide if Emirates can actually appeal. That will take some time.
    Then if they are granted leave to appeal, the actual time to get to court then the considered judgement will take longer. We may be looking at 9months at least.
    Emirates have clearly gone back on their word given to CAA accepting the outcome of CoA.
    If it were me I would be progressing to NBA then legal action stage as you have plenty of legal ammunition. The worse than can happen is case is stayed by small claims court but at least your potential interest meter is ticking away.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • cosyc
    cosyc Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    We traveled over xmas on a single ticket with emirates from Manchester to Queenstown, New Zealand.

Our outbound flight from Manchester to Dubai was delayed due to the inbound flight arriving late reportedly due to fog in Dubai.

We left Manchester 2 1/2 hours late, arrived Dubai 2 hours late. Originally we had 2 hours between flights. They held the connecting flight to Auckland but due to staff delays at the gate eventually left Dubai 1 1/2 hour later than expected.

We arrived in Auckland 1 hour 10 minutes late, so 45 minutes between our next flight. This was with Jetstar but still on the same booking code.

Emirates emailed up during the flight to say due to operational requirements they had changed our itinerary and so booked us on a flight for the next day.

I will say that was all organised very well, at the door to the plane they presented us with tickets for the new flight (air new zealand), hotel accommodation voucher. But at the end of the day we had traveled half way round the world to spend xmas with my son and actually arrived a day late.

Can you give advice if i can make a claim or shall i wait until any further news on the ruling. shall i still quote the fixed compensation as specified in EC 261/2004 and should i include/quote the buckley case.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to wait for the outcome of the appeal.

You were delayed less than 3 hours on the flight from MAN so no compensation due until it's clarified in law.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    Options
    It is actually clarified in law until the point where Emirates are given leave to appeal. At the moment there is no news that I am aware of as to whether this has been given, or not.

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cosyc wrote: »
    Our outbound flight from Manchester to Dubai was delayed due to the inbound flight arriving late reportedly due to fog in Dubai.

Technicalities about missed connections outside the EU aside, this could well fall under extraordinary circumstances.
  • JPears
    Options
    Latest trick from Emirates.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/grounded-by-snow-you-owe-us-%c2%a31600-emirates-tells-holiday-couple/ar-BBK4ICR?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout

They are reviewing how many other passengers they may have conned...

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    The good news is that the matter has been concluded. The Supreme Court has refused Permission to Appeal to Emirates saying there is nothing to discuss as the matter is clear from previous decisions of the European Court. There is nowhere else for Emirates and other airlines who used the same excuse to go, even Andrew Haines of the CAA has said it is time airlines stopped prevaricating and pay out for connecting flights . I suggest all those waiting for this decision, write and remind the airline of the amount outstanding.
  • JPears
    Options
    Good news indeed. Perhaps we should PM all those on this thread to let them know?

• Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just resubmitted mine and shall wait to see ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure