NST Joyful July

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the English language and yet one that we are culturally cut off from understanding and enjoying. The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things. Elise Boulding
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »

f0xh0les can you not let them slob for a few days. They have been on a timetable all year and need to unwind. Let them sleep late, sit around in their pjs all day to let them adjust. Don't over organise them, give them some say in holiday plans and remember to leave them some time 'to do their own thing'.

Sadly they don't lie in bed. They are all up at 6am and want to do a rotation of DS, computer, xbox and then it results in screaming,fighting and tantrums x 4 then DH starts shouting. They won't make their beds or help out in any way. They can't even put a crisp packet in the bin next to them, it goes straight under the sofa cushion or under the desk. They drive me nuts. It would be quite nice if they lay in on a morning, chilled out in their pjs rather than a dressing gown and a pair of pants (:o) they do have nice comfy pjs, they just won't wear them. :mad:

I have booked us to go away for 4 days next week, and then off to visit housebound 78 yr old in Ireland in Belfast for a week (no internet access :rotfl:) then it is August and they can slob a bit. I dont think it would be so annoying if they were older and I could happily leave them for an hour or so to get on and do the normal household business.
    But when you have to give them the ultimatum of them either collecting leaves in the park for them to wipe their bums on, or coming to the supermarket to buy loo roll it gets quite stressful.

I love them to bits but they are utterly lazy and unhelpful.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Well we are half way through the month, how did that happen? If you are struggling, I suggest you take a deep breath and make another fresh start (you fall down, you get up again). Read through the challenge, simplify or alter your goals if you need to and press on.

My freezer is now empty enough for me to see what I need. There is still food in there but it's mainly cheese spread in the fridge and fish in the freezer and those need to be rationed out (fish is good 2-3 times a week but it's an expensive purchase). Going to make up a healthy meal plan later - made a start on Thursday by getting fruit and raw veg to accompany dips.

Sorry for absence but I was locked out of the forum last night and could not find the little notebook with the password in. Thought I was going to be stuck with the new format.

EE we can all have our own 'virtual smallholding' by following your adventures. Thanks for the reminder on not going 'cold turkey' on alcohol - safe with heroin, not with alcohol. Same goes for some prescription tranquilisers (not safe so check don't just stop taking them).

PlaysNicely I would put your diary on DFW. I know of at least one diarist who regularly questions whether she should be on DFW but I think there are lots of us dotted about, on low incomes and living as best we can through to pension age and beyond.

I am debt free and was never in a position to get a mortgage (bought this house outright with my savings, borrowing a small amount from my mother and a bank loan - through my father, as the bank preferred to lend to him, although we were both customers) but feel that this is my home.

I tend to go with the attitude of a friend whose husband was a self-employed window cleaner "We've always been 2 pay packets away from bankruptcy." I am debt free, I intend to remain debt free, but that requires constant vigilance and attention, especially as my health is not great.

Some parts of the forum I have tried can be 'not so nice'. I feel I have a lot in common with the oldstylers (lovely people generally) but if I am not well it exhausts me just reading about the 6 things they did before breakfast including foraging for berries, distilling their own medicine and knitting their muesli.

Similarly the planning for early retirement with their investments group (again mostly lovely people). I followed for a while then found myself thinking, "You stupid man, you could afford to retire tomorrow (with a few modest adjustments), instead you will die in harness because you haven't yet accumulated enough to keep running your private yacht/ vintage Rolls Royce. As one contributor remarked, none of them had guaranteed good health and even if they had private insurance to cover their needs they might still not be able to play with their toys any more.

abundance thanks for your advice and for letting us know your history (hugs). DS2 tried to commit suicide just as he was doing his final exams at university. Luckily one of the other boys who shared the house came back for something and found him. He's okay now but he's the one who I worry about most (I worry about them all in different ways). He has his father's addictive personality, drank far too much when he was younger and gambles occasionally.

Icc86 (sorry, I've been getting your name wrong, I had the screen a bit closer last night). Huge hugs. I am reluctant to give marital/ partner advice (one marriage was one too many for me) but maybe suggest that him going on this spur of the moment trip will cost the same as both of you doing the planned trip.

Maybe he's doing that 'lad's thing' (sorry abundant, but as mother to three boys + 2 brothers I know some of the really stupid things they can do - I wasn't thrilled when my brother told them about 'stair surfing', take a door off it's hinges and use it to surf down the stairs. luckily they and their friends only tried using duvets) of 'rebelling about being tied to the apron strings. We know that's not how it is, but well men/boys? Tell him he can go provided he finds the money before he goes, without using current resourses - ie he does overtime, finds a second job, does not use credit or any part of your current income.

We had to talk a young man we knew (extended family) out of booking a surprise trip abroad to celebrate paying off the roof repairs. He was out of work at the time so would have been using his gf's money to surprise her and she had spent many years trying to get him out of debt (different family approaches). We persuaded him she would much prefer a modest weekend in the Lake District with a few thoughtful touches.

Hope that helps (and does not offend) and if any other more experienced turtles can add any useful advice/ tactics.

As I said at the beginning of the challenge, all of you struggling to get OH's on board have my deepest sympathy. You are not alone because the turtles are with you, but you are 'it' for now.

FBO thanks for your contribution and wise words and :j:j:j NSD :j:j:j.

Thrifty so glad you had a good day.

Always remember, a good sense of humour helps (and always being able to see something funny in every situation.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • mothernerd
    Options
    f0xh0les hugs. I do understand (DS3 is 27 and nothing much has changed, apart from the time of day - student hours, awake most of the night and sleeps in the day). I always did a mega shop before the holidays to avoid having to take them with me (and they each had a rucksack and if they wanted to put it in the trolley, it had to carried home in their rucksack - one of a number of techniques).

DS2 broke his elbow once. It couldn't be put in plaster and school were wary about him being there. He was off for six weeks. If I took him out shopping we had to walk at snail's pace so as not to jog his arm. If I left him home, he would fret if left for more than 10 minutes - he was only about 8 so strictly speaking, should not have been left alone but sometimes you need bread and other basics and it was before the days of home delivery.

We gradually acquired several small tv's and had different machines set up in different rooms.

Sometimes they go out with friends (DS2 used to go round in a pack). If they have been at yours for several days, run the supplies down so that you only have boring food left - they do a ring round and go off to th house where the mum has just returned with a carload of crips, pop and chocolate biscuits.

The early waking (with no consequent early bedtime) means they are intelligent if that helps. As does the ability and tendency to take apart alarm clocks etc 'to see how they work'.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just want to say a really big thank you to you all. FBO - Thanks for your messages. I'll reply to the last one in a little while. EE - Thanks for the advice on not going cold turkey. He usually goes out with a friend on Wednesday and has just said he will still do that this week but stop drinking at home. I think that is probably a good plan to be going on with.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today should've been a NSD but I bought some tickets to a horsey thing. Other than that no other spends. Been out riding, ended up being quite a long one but really enjoyed it. Been a pretty chilled day, and the migraine from yesterday has definitely downgraded to a headache which is positive!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grrr. Best laid plans.

My new job is in the city centre where there is a branch of my gym. I went in to check it out on Thursday and you pay £10 to hire a locker to leave kit in. Duly planned my week of gym trips and packed gym kit/work kit/protein shakes etc so that I could drop it off. Plan was to park, run/walk the 2 miles into town. Go to gym, get dressed and start at 10.

Went in this morning - we don't have any lockers available.

So, 0700 tomorrow drop off kit, drive out of town to park, run in etc. Then after work, change at gym, get the bus out with all my kit. I don't know what facilities there are at work so I may be able to leave some stuff later in the week.

Just GRRRRRRR.

Meal planning tonight, and prepping for the week. DH had a lovely weekend away with the army. He hasn't had a shower since Friday despite hill runs - he's off there now!
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am so grateful that dd has been able to move classes, and that she has much more energy now that she doesn't have to expend it on anxiety. I am also grateful for a friend who will paint mum's house for us over the summer, for getting a seat on all my trains today, for moving up to shred level 2, for spotting a parakeet this morning, for big sis and I being 'of one mind' with clearing mum's house, for finding an old small ready meal in the freezer (as I only arrived after all the shops here had shut), for trying to live in the moment and enjoy it, for mothernerd's great quotes.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • PlaysNicely
    PlaysNicely Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 11:05PM
    Options

:wave:

Evening all! Cheeky update ...

1) NSD - not achieved today, despite snaffling free parking for work! After a restless and itchy night's sleep yesterday, turns out I'm riddled with insect bites following twilight owl walk last night, so had to go into B00ts on way to work & see pharmacist who piled me up with antihistamines & instructions to see GP if one of them carries on swelling ... lots of strange bites around at the moment apparently! So NSDs still 9 / 16.

2) Frugal food shopping: previous week's target met so this week's £35 budget started anew - No additional spends yet. Mushroom risotto & stir fry spring greens for dinner, followed by rest of ice cream desserts from Friday night.

3) Try to up my own income in some way (legally of course)! Achieved with new weekend job - all went well today & have been offered extra days when others are on holiday over next month.

4) My NST health goal: 10,000 steps a day (as total of 70,000 across a week)!
    Total after extra twilight walk yesterday, 24,313.
    Today 8,762, not quite the 10 but happy with this.
    Total so far this week 33,075 / 70,000,

5) No FleaBay shopping for the whole month - achieved today so 15 / 31 achieved, 1 breadbin shaped glitch!

6) Frugal focus: sourcing instead of spending: busy day, nothing else achieved yet as yesterday & today so busy ... remaining work in progress ...
    * Valance in progress - one panel hemmed, still needs sewing to base
    * Doggy glove puppet in progress. ... just 1 1/2 ears and sewing up

Simple pleasures:

:) Lovely chats with gallery customers.
    :) Good walk this evening.
    :) Antihistamines kicking in!
    :) Last night's owl walk resulted in seeing barn owl & two tawny owls, but too dark for photos!

Mothernerd, thanks so much for your comments re:diary, your experiences of the pensions threads sound similar to mine, some great people but their situations and priorities seem very different to our own! Will really consider being over here, I think! Thanks again.

Applemuncher, your parakeet comment made me smile: when we were walking the dogs around 7 we were convinced we could hear a Little owl hooting. Turns out someone on the nearby campsite has their parrot with them and it mimics all the birds it hears, been driving the local Twitchers mad apparently!

Hugs to all who need them & hope everyone has a good week to come! PNx
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £ 5 / £332.05 + 365 day penny challenge - £ 18.15 / £667.95; 52 weeks challenge = £183 / £1,378;Frugal Living 2018 #42 <£11,500
    :p
  • mothernerd
    Options
    PlaysNicely you can keep your NSD - medical expenses are exempt as you don't know when you wll fall ill (or be bitten to pieces). Got to love anti-histamines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport