PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pooky, was it a contactless card? I think there is a suggestion that they can be cloned by someone standing near you as you use them. I won't have one
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy birthday Nutty hope u had a lovely day
    Ouch Mrs LW but at least Olaf is eating again
    Pooky glad your bank was on the ball and got things sorted quickly for you
    Hope that paint lasts for a very long time Possesion and makes u a cuppa into the bargain. That is a lot more than I would like to pay for paint
    Hope everyone else is fine just waiting for my friend to come round but she is a bit late. Hope I didn't go to the effort of cleaning for nothing lol
    Take care all xx
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My card was cloned a couple of years,ago, most likely after a transaction done over the phone. The bloke I spoke to in my bank said the same thing happened to him once, so nobody is immune!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    pooky, was it a contactless card? I think there is a suggestion that they can be cloned by someone standing near you as you use them. I won't have one

It's not true. Given how difficult it is to PAY with them, someone standing near you doesn't have much chance of picking up the details :cool:
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Several former colleagues had cards cloned a couple of years back, in that case it was petrol stations. Turns out that someone in a suit delivered a new terminal because they'd had reports that the existing one was faulty. Every customer that used the new terminal would have their card details and PIN copied and clones would be produced. I suspect that the first use would be to check the balance.
    A cloned card has to be copied from the real card, their are other ways to obtain the card details, such as intercepting phone calls and web transactions which will give the 3 digit security code, which is not used (or recorded) in a physical transaction.
    Protect your PIN and monitor your account transactions regularly.
    HTH
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Kezlou my days of posting on this thread are over with. You need not have a private group to oust me from it. Utterly ridiculous behaviour and I won't be part of any of your games any longer.

I thank each and every tough person who supported me over the years. I have grown like I never imagined, lead a life that is OS to the core and actually really enjoy it. I have coping skills that I have learned from you all, skills that I was never shown growing up. I cannot express my gratitude enough for that but it's time to wander elsewhere on OS.

If anyone would like to start a new thread feel free. I don't wish to be associated to the tough thread any more. It has changed and so have I.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same thing happened near my old office nuatha, so about 6 years or so ago. Petrol stations are obviously a good target... :)
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday nutty!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's a huge sadness when one of our OS friends feels that they aren't welcome any longer, I'm very sad to see FUDDLE feel this way as she started this incarnation of the thread and worked hard to get it up and running. I know we don't all agree all of the time but sometimes these differences put in real barriers and divide us making some feel outcasts. It would be a much nicer world if we could all be tolerant of each others differences and not let personal feelings and contentious behaviour rule us when we post. I guess that's just not how it is for some folks. I hope that we can get Fuds to change her mind, I understand that she has been hurt by words in the past and hope that she will feel the caring and friendship that emanates from the vast majority of us and at least read along once in a while. It's a real shame!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are a wise woman Mrs LW. I'd be very sorry go see Fuddle no longer posting on a thread that she worked so hard on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure