PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times

Options

Comments

• juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lyn, well said. As you know I rarely post on this thread but I am so sorry this has happened again.

I do not have a F**ebook acct, and my grandchildren laugh at me because I call it the work of the d*v*l. When I have my nails done I listen to the girls talking and it almost seems that anything can be said about anybody. I assume some people feel they can say this sort of thing if they are not face to face with the person concerned.

I hope everything settles down again because I do enjoy reading.

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

Well said Candlelight.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I normally lurk rather than post, but just wanted to ask whether you'd looked into getting the medication online (ignore me if you already do this!)! My 18 year old cat is also on medication for an overactive thyroid. My vet charges £10 for a 6 month prescription, then I buy from a website called animed (was the cheapest when I looked at all of them). Even with the prescription charge it saves an absolute fortune compared to buying at the vet, costs me £15 a month for the tablets (49p per tablet to be precise). From memory, vets wanted to charge almost £40 for same amount.

:) Ooh thank you ladyshopper! I was going to look into it, but things have been a bit manic and I hadn't yet got around to asking on here about suitable sites. Not sure if the cream he has is available online here yet, but will have a look. He won't take tablets unfortunately, so if the cream hadn't been invented he'd have to just go untreated and get worse and worse :( .We didn't choose to have him, he invited himself to live with us! but we love him very much.Thank you again :) The cream is £46-odd from the vet's.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ivyleaf - I meant to ask - how was your daughters birthday?
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Pooky - she was thrilled with her present, and I had such fun because she couldn't imagine what it was going to be, and kept making wild guesses :rotfl: She's hung it at the turn of her stairs so she sees it every time she goes up or down :D I told her that no, she couldn't have "Jabberwocky" for her next "big" birthday!

Re the "other business", I'm not on FB at all but will stay on here and hope that others will too.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Least said soonest mended.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dip in and out of this forum and have always been impressed by how supportive people are of each other. I dont always agree with some people's views but that is the way of the world & if you can't say anything nice, or have nothing to add - stay shtum.
    I too regret the loss of our gentleman poster & others. I do think that people forget that what is posted on the intenet STAYS IN PERPETUITY and they need to think about what they write and how it can be interpreted. Here endeth the lesson.

Lovely sunny day here - bought some primulas yesterday in Mr M's for 50p a pot. Plated them in the tubs by my front door to cheer it and me up! Lady & her DH coming round this morning for a cuppa. I met her through Streetlife 'cos she needed some assistance with making Roman Blinds so we're just going to have a nice 'gos' this morning :) We seemed to have a lot in common so will see how we get on!
    Hope everyone has a good day & hugs to all who may need them
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    I generally stay out of arguments, they make me uncomfortable and upset and I find they all blow over anyway generally. I am friends with both Fuddle and Kez on Facebook. I don't post much personal stuff on there but it can be a very useful tool for many things in modern life. I have no idea what went on between them, and it's none of my business either. I am not on anybody's side, nor was I aware that I needed to be. I was added (not invited, there is a difference) onto Kez's group yesterday. The only reason I am posting this at all is that I can categorically say that there has been no mention whatsoever of anything that has gone on, or any talk about anyone from this board, or even of this board in general. I would not be a part of that and if I felt it was set up for that purpose I would delete myself from the group. There isn't some big secret, groups are only private on facebook because otherwise posts can appear all over other people's timelines.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My dear friends, I am a member of this 'private group on FB' and not one word against any member of this thread has been uttered and I wouldnt be a member if it was. I am a member of a lot of private groups on there as people dont want stuff shown on public domain for instance my daughters pregnancy which was a secret until last week but we were having a lot of issues with her partner and I needed someone to talk too.

Sometimes we meet people we just dont get on with, sadly. Mrs Lw you are dear friend and I would miss you here with your kindness and support, some of the best laughs I have had have been your messages from Darling Docky.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been trying very hard to stay quiet about the recent upsets. I am sorry but I am going to say my piece.

There have been several times over the last couple of years, probably longer I loose count, that I have considered leaving the thread permanently. There is so much good on here, so much advice, wisdom, good humour and kindness, so many valued friends that I have stayed through thick and thin. It is a huge shame that many posters have left in the past and continue to do so or think about doing so. However it doesn't surprise me.

I know there are 2 sides to every story and that everyone has their problems and difficulties to contend with. I cannot pretend to know all that has gone on or understand it but this is what I see. 2 posters who don't see eye to eye and have been foolish and somewhat selfish in publicly demonstrating that. Both fuddle and kezlou should have kept their differences to themselves or in private messages. All that is easier said that done, as we all know. None of us are perfect, not one. I know I will have said things to annoy others, I hope not to upset anyone and I can only apologise if I have and try to learn from it.

However the other thing I see is one poster being very publicly supported by Mrs LW and lots of loyal followers. Of course there is nothing wrong with caring about people and demonstrating that but what I DON'T see is equal support for kezlou. You can support a friend in such a way that the other party - who is also feeling hurt and upset - doesn't feel worse. That is not fair.

I have never forgotten how our dear friend Popperwell (Pops) was hounded out of this thread. This man was unfailing in his support for fellow posters and his only "shortcoming" as far as some posters were concerned was his fear about coping on his own after his bereavement. This man was vulnerable and very attached to this thread and I am still upset about it to this day. I have worked on my own in forgiving those involved but I have not forgotten.

I do not want to see anyone bullied on here - not Pops, not fuddle, not kez, no-one. What I find particularly upsetting, distasteful and hypocritical is that some people who have experienced bullying, upset or similar are the same people who have upset people like Pops.

I am not on FB and do not PM often myself. However posters are entitled to be in contact with others outside of this thread or forum. People PM each other, email, text and phone. People post things and arrange meet-ups. Why is FB different? I have no problem with anyone contacting anyone, that is their business. What I do have a huge problem with is the nastiness that creeps and crawls its way onto this thread periodically. Why worry about outside trolls when we have people inside a "helpful and supportive thread" that cause such upset.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who have contributed in any positive way at any time on this thread whether to me, other individuals or just generally. This is the last straw for me, I am sorry to leave. I, like most if not all of us here, have enough on my plate and can't be adding to it. I wish EVERYONE past, present and future posters the very best of everything. I hope lessons can be learnt. I am sorry I couldn't bite my tongue and I am sorry if I have added further upset. Best I sign off now and keep out of things.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 March 2015 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Thank you POSESSION, that is a rational and sensible explanation and you are very kind to post it. All I do know is that two former friends have badly fallen out, I don't want to know the whole why but feel sad for them both. One has made a new life and is trying hard to put the past behind her and the other is hurting because she is part of the past and doesn't understand why the first has wanted to make the break and move on. My heart bleeds for them both and I hurt too for the venom that is in existence in some of the posts between them. I'm not a peacekeeper although I feel like one a lot of the time. I wish it hadn't happened but it has and no amount of glue will fix it it would appear and no amount of oil on troubled waters seems to be having the effect it's supposed to. I'm sad that it's almost come down to who is on whose side, it shouldn't be acted out on a public thread but it almost is insoluable in private too. Such sadness!

I'm rapidly learning that sometimes trying to fix things ends up making the break more permanent and does more harm than good. I'm dropping out of this particular thread for a while not out of OS completely and certainly not out of anger, just feel like the complexities of relationships are making me uncomfortable and sometimes take me where I don't like being.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure