'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Finished the Italian matchmaker by Santa montefoila and got to have and to hold by Anne Bennett off the TBR pile.
    Pile at the mo consists of a couple of boxes of books that won't fit back on the bookcases now we've had a move round. I may have to arrange a sneaky stack under my bedside shelf and make it my goal to read them and release them all next year. Before starting back on the bookcases.

According to goodreads I'm on target but feel like I want to read more as the house is full of books waiting to be read.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • blindtoast
    Options
    Finished The long way to a small angry planet. I thought it was brilliant - there was a basic background plot but it was more about the characters lives and how they deal with the things that they see and do during the journey. Really easy to read despite the different planets and species described throughout, which would usually put me off a book but they were so well written that I found it easy to get lost in the world.
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Options
    I'm Back!

Read a gardening book that I've had lying around.:T
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2016 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Read a couple recently, to have and to hold by Anne Bennett and this morning I finished the girls by Lisa Jewel

I like lisa jewel's style of writing but this one was a bit darker than usual. Couldn't put it down as I wanted to know what had happened -it was one of those that starts 3/4 n goes back six months to fill in upto that point then go on to tie up loose ends. Good read but slightly out of my comfort zone as to where I thought the story would end up.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Part Two of my 2016 Book Challenge

No 34 - Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens

No 35 - Death and the Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robert - Chris Skidmore

No 36 - A Whole Life - Robert Seethaler

No 37 - Glamorous Powers - Susan Howarth

No 38 - The Golden Cup - Marcia Willet

No 39 - They came to a city - A play - J B Priestley

No 40 - A Dream to Die For - Nicholas Faulkner

No 41 - Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

No 42 - The Beach Hut - Veronica Henry

No 43 - Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

No 44 - Echoes of the Dance - Marcia Willetts

No 45 - My New Business: A Busy Womans Guide to Success - Wendy Kerr

My Good Read Target is 55 .... not sure whether I am going to get there....

Nearly finished The Hollow Crown, The wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    On a festive read at the mo, a Chrismas chic lit by Miranda Dickinson called it started with a kiss. Enjoying it so far.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's great to see this thread has taken off again:j

I've read a weird and wonderful selection of books this past few months. This has been a combination of my own unread books, charity shop and carboot finds, other people's hand me downs, library books and even some from a batch that I found in a skip:j. A lot of them are probably not books that I might have chosen if I'd wandered round real bookshops with plenty of money to spend but I've come across some really excellent writers and books that I might never have encountered.

I've almost finished my first Sophie Hannah book, Kind of Cruel, passed on to me by a friend. It's absolutely wonderful. Why have I never read anything by her before:o? I'm thrilled to see that she has written loads more, a lot of which are available from the library:j
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's great to see this thread has taken off again:j

I've almost finished my first Sophie Hannah book, Kind of Cruel, passed on to me by a friend. It's absolutely wonderful. Why have I never read anything by her before:o? I'm thrilled to see that she has written loads more, a lot of which are available from the library:j

I love Sophie Hannah, next to Susan Hill my favourites atm.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2016 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

Can I please join in with this challenge? :)

I love to read, although it's been on the back burner a bit since I had my son in June and went back to uni in Sep.

I have over 900 books on my kindle (and a few paperbacks kicking around the house) so there's plenty of reading for me to get through!
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Welcome swimming, looks like you'll fit right in here.
    SPC~12 ot 124

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback