Have you reclaimed old bank accounts/savings/investments? Success Stories wanted!

Options

Comments

• megrim
    megrim Posts: 17 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Having registered with mylostaccount and asked them to do a search, should I be concerned that Bank of Scotland haven't picked up the fact that I have an active current account with them jointly in my name and my husband's name that is registered at my current address?
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I found an old deposit book from 40 years ago. It was with the Westminster bank and there appeared to be about £200 in it. I registered my details with mylostaccount about 3weeks ago and received an email today. NatWest has not found any details of an account in my present or maiden name. So,what happened to the money in my account? Is it worth an appeal?
  • Essgeebee
    Essgeebee Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I found an old passbook for a Bradford and Bingley savings account with a balance of about £200. Staff at the local Santander branch (Santander took over B&B's savings business a while back) said they couldn't find the account on their system and refused to let me have the money.

As I have all the account details, I've written to Santander's head office, asking for them to look into it and now I'm wondering if that's any better than using the my lost bank account approach.
  • megrim
    megrim Posts: 17 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    megrim wrote: »
    Having registered with mylostaccount and asked them to do a search, should I be concerned that Bank of Scotland haven't picked up the fact that I have an active current account with them jointly in my name and my husband's name that is registered at my current address?

Finally, I have had a reply to say that mylostaccount has actually found something. I'll post again when I get to the next stage of finding out what it is.
  • tshine
    Options
    Hi, after reading the pensions section, specificaly previous employers pension schemes, I thought I would try and track down a company pension I started back in 1997. It was a bad parting with that company so I put those 4 years to the back of my mind, unfortunately I did the same with the pension details. Today I did some hunting around and discovered the pension is with Aegon Scottish Equitable and was more than pleseantly shocked to be told
    the current policy value is worth £14,456.27p :j :-) this is double
    my current pension policy that is with Scottish Widdows.

I am thinking of transfering to Scottish widows or seeing that only 4 years on contributions of around £120 per month (If I remember correctly) has grown to over £14k or should leave it with Aegon as it seems to be doind quite well!

Any thoughts on transfer or leave?

Can I just point out to all those that left their old company, particularly on bad terms, you may want to wipe out the memory of your departure but dont wipe out your pension you had with them, it is your money! and like me you could have a tidy sum to collect.

Good luck to all and I can not thank you enough for the encouragement to take back what I worked hard for!

:T

Best Regards

Tony.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am thinking of transfering to Scottish widows or seeing that only 4 years on contributions of around £120 per month (If I remember correctly) has grown to over £14k or should leave it with Aegon as it seems to be doind quite well!

The pensions havent made anything. Where you invest does that and both providers have similar funds. So, had you had the same investments in the SW as you did Aegon and looked at the same period the returns would have been similar.
    Any thoughts on transfer or leave?

Aegons modern pensions are typically better than their older ones. SW pensions are fine but nothing special unless you are older and looking at the personal pension or retirement account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bigsister
    Options
    We has received a letter from Guardian Financial Services in regards to a possible plan and have issued a lost contact reference and have asked us to call, confirm security details (name, addresses from 20 years to the present day etc) and then they will explain the need to send a letter.
    They are part of AEGON from the letter, and the website for AEGON confirms this but I wondered if this sounds ok?
    Thank you.
  • YoBear
    YoBear Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I just realised Ludlow Thompson, who let my property never returned the £250 they held 'on account' from the tenants rent for emergency repair fees.

Quick call and £250 coming my way!:j

Will post a reminder in other thread for others who've let with LT
  • DREAMER
    DREAMER Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this is a success story.We found an old Liverpool TSB passbook in my wife's name before we married. We read the mylostaccounts and contacted the bba Within weeks we had a letter from a local Lloyds TSB Branch asking my wife (it was her account) to call in with some forms of i.d.
    The account was last used in 1969 and had a credit balance of £20.00.after various form signing we left the bank feeling like a pair of misers clutching twentyone pounds and a few pence ,the interest in 42 years!!!
  • nrdr92
    Options
    I also had a TSB child savings/bank account that was set up by my granparents when I was small. And froma very early age what ever money I was given for birthdays/christmas spends etc.. All went in. I am now 26 and don't have much contact with them and they prob don't even have the paperwork or account details and to my knowladge it was never closed. What's my next step in finding out how to access my money I can forward all the details like birth certificate adress details etc to the bank to trace the account, but what are my chances? Any info on this is greatly appriciated, thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure