Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 March 2013 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Changed from EDF December 2012 just as they were pushing their prices up, now fixed price until March 2014, currently saving £10 per month on DD.
    No problems at present apart from using SP site, could only enter usage info on my ipad not my Laptop for a short time, but working OK now.
    Easy change over, was kept informed by SP through out change over.
    Changed through using info from :money: not the cheapest option available but can leave at any time with out penalties. :)
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Mozzanov
    Mozzanov Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Surprisingly, I found Scottish Power simple to switch to. No problems changing to a fixed rate contract with them later either. They do like to increase direct debits, despite low usage (so they are always owing me £100-200). Funnily enough, their system just finally lowered it, but when I am leaving. (Due to moving flats and my new flat has IGT, so there would be an extra charge. Otherwise, I would stay with them as they seem to be good value.)

After the terrible experiences I've had in the past (e.ON, British Gas and npower), this was a positive change.

Their website isn't too great for managing your account (don't use the back button or it gets upset, bills don't always display correctly - random blank pages - and a few other small issues) and the cashback was very slow, but those are minor issues overall.
  • Mozzanov
    Mozzanov Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add to my previous post: all was fine until I went to leave Scottish Power (due to moving) and they have been hopeless (allegedly my move went "missing" on their system). (That seems to be in common with a lot of services, though.)
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi every one. I have been a SP customer for many years.
    I am on the online fixed price energy January 2014 tariff which ends on 31st December. No -tie ins or cancellation fee's.

I like being an online customer and receive a discount of £15.75 per year.
    I also receive a duel fuel discount of £16.80 per year.

Being an online customer means I can view my account online any time I wish. I submit my meter readings weekly to keep watch on my use and cost.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • robbsafc
    robbsafc Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The initial switch I made to npower seemed to go ok. However after several weeks I had still not received my contract. On contacting customer service through the link in my account on the website, the response was very slow. Eventually I had to contact the CEO just to get some response and my contract. I now find that my tariff has been changed by an automated email I received on the 28th May saying that my tariff changed in January 2013. That means the bills previously generated by nPower would not have been correct. The tariff change was not made by myself. Fortunately when communicating with nPower's Executive Complaints Team I specifically requested assurances that should I want to leave due to problems that there would be no exit fees. It is now time to exercise this. So bye bye nPower.

Rob.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robbsafc wrote: »
    The initial switch I made to npower seemed to go ok. However after several weeks I had still not received my contract. On contacting customer service through the link in my account on the website, the response was very slow. Eventually I had to contact the CEO just to get some response and my contract. I now find that my tariff has been changed by an automated email I received on the 28th May saying that my tariff changed in January 2013. That means the bills previously generated by nPower would not have been correct. The tariff change was not made by myself. Fortunately when communicating with nPower's Executive Complaints Team I specifically requested assurances that should I want to leave due to problems that there would be no exit fees. It is now time to exercise this. So bye bye nPower.

Rob.

Hi robbsafc,

Something doesn't sound right here.

Could you send me over your details to [EMAIL="forumresponse@npower.com"]forumresponse@npower.com[/EMAIL] so I can take a look into this for you?

Many thanks,

Adam :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • MKdriver_2
    Options
    The worst service ever! Bought a flat that had Economy 7 heating. Wanted to transfer to a standard tariff. It took a £200 flight to Edinburgh, 4 months and over 5 hours of phone calls and then massive escalations to work out how this could be done. They don't even know what comes first, the electrical tail changeover or the meter removal. (I didn't know then but I do now :-) In the end they got it wrong, but thanks to a very switched-on Scottish Power meter engineer on-site and my electrician (who is an absolute star) we got it done in the end. And they had the cheek to charge me £50 for the privilege!
    So I stuck with it, just so I can switch away from them. They won't be getting any more of my money - they're incompetent, surly and money-grabbing. I'd rather pay more and get a decent level of customer service.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a great deal with SP, fixed until Jan 2015.

But their behaviour with regard to setting D/Ds is that of simple thieves, and their ability to comprehend and respond to simple queries leads me to wonder if they employ simpletons, or on the contrary remarkably clever people who are adept at wilful misunderstanding and obfuscation

Having said all this, I expect them to be in the same category as their fellow wicked sisters in the cartel, ably supported by the Energy ombudsknut, their pimp
  • littleacceb
    Options
    We've actually decided to leave Scottish Power due to the following reasons:

1. Understaffed call centres. The amount of time it takes to get through to someone is insane.

2. Ignoring preferences. Despite being asked to communicate through email alone (account has to be in DH's name, but I'm the one who has more time available to deal with household admin), we received phone calls at the same time every night.

3. Faulty telephone system. This was once we realised they weren't going to listen to our preferences (in point 2). If you wish to hold rather than be called back, pressing the button to select this option usually results in the line going dead. Furthermore, transfers between departments usually result in the call being dropped, with no attempt to reconnect.

4. Cheeky behaviour upon our house move. Despite being provided with the meter reading as at the check-out (and official moving out date) of our rental property, they decided to add on a few days and estimate the reading. Not worth my time fighting for a few quid, but poor practice nonetheless.

Also agree that the email responses are frustrating. YMMV!
  • flossie217
    flossie217 Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2014 at 10:35AM
    Options
    While a SP customer I found the service to be excellent and the cs staff polite, friendly and helpful.
    I left in June purely because I found a better deal saving me £100 otherwise I would have stayed.
    I received my final bills at the end of June. I owed £39.73 on the electricity account and was £5.19 in credit on the gas.
    On the electricity statement it clearly states 'We'll collect your balance of £39.73 on 16th Jul 2013.' A week later I received an email and a letter, informing me that my payment was overdue and that I needed to pay immediately otherwise additional costs could be added to my balance.
    Being somewhat niggled I paid immediately and emailed a light hearted complaint to SP. In this email I requested immediate payment of the £5.19 gas balance owing to me seeing as they place such importance on prompt payment. This was on the 6th July. I have received no payment, no reply to or even acknowledgement of my email. I now have to pay for the telephone call to get the money owing to me. I am no longer niggled, I am getting angrier by the day at being treated with such condescension. Will SP be paying me additional costs for their late payment?
    In my email I told SP to remember that leaving customers are also their future customers. Treat us well when we leave and we will be rushing back to you when things don't go so well with the company we have moved to. You've left it too late in this case SP. Please treat your other customers with more consideration.

Update: I have just phoned SP to remind them they have my £5.19, I know it isn't a lot but it is my money not theirs. Also it is the principal. They are quick enough to demand immediate payment but don't follow suit when they owe the customer.
    Waiting time to speak to someone? 52 - 1hr 20 mins! I would have to pay 0845 rates to ask for my own money back or hang around waiting for a call back that might not happen.

update: well one month on and still no payment or courtesy acknowledgement of the email so I have just phoned again. This time the call back time is estimated at between 53 and 1hr 21mins. Does Scottish Power seriously expect someone to hold the line for this length of time without it reflecting badly on them as an organisation? Is this an indication of the number of customers who need queries/discrepancies resolved? It smacks of as long as we tie you into a contract and get your money then we will treat you just as we like. The lesson I have learned is that it will be a long time before I enter into a contract with SP in the future.

17th Oct. At last I have received my money. Such a shame I had to mention the words 'Energy Ombudsman' before I was taken seriously!

I thought this sorry saga was over but, no! I received a cheque from SP paying back £32 they had overcharged me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback