PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Byatt... feel free to come here and do my place when you are done :D
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    I'm spring cleaning! Considering I live in a very small cottage I'm not sure why it's taking me so long, although I am completely revamping the living room. :cool:

My-Boy-cat is very unsettled as a result though, think he likes untidiness and squalor! :eek:

If your cat is anything like mine she loves chaos...loves stuff all over, boxes, stuff on floor/stairs....and particularly furniture in the middle of the room.

2 eggs now!.....lol....this equals happy settled chicks.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've got the perfect excuse not to springclean;). As the house is still being renovated at the moment, then what's the point? Any time I try and clean a surface more dust descends upon it soon afterwards...

Think I'll wait until about a month after the inside of the house is as finished as its going to be now for month and then do so. Should be long enough after plaster dust and the like has been flying through the air at regular intervals to ensure it's all settled and I won't be wasting my time.

I thought a few days "after the event" would be enough to ensure the dust had settled, but doesn't seem to be...

Anyone got any useful experience in that respect?

Must go and google "how to remove coloured wood stain from concrete" though, as I've found some "invading" of my garden space has happened again and there's been a bit of that stain splashed around in the process.

I made it plain to the workmen concerned that it's the norm for permission to be asked to come into someone else's garden (even if that isn't what usually happens here), but didn't realise until after they'd gone that they had a clearing-up job on their plate I would need to tell them to come back and do...:(

Am generally having to find ways to make it plain that "my garden boundaries are my garden boundaries" even where they are invisible...:(. I'll get that message fully over yet...
  • JustKeepSwimming_2
    Options
    Phew - I survived the "holiday" in a caravan with DD & DS (but I'd like another holiday to get over the first one!).

We were lucky with the weather, & it was lovely to be back near the sea again, but it wasn't that relaxing for me trying to keep them both happy (had major grumps from DD), doing all the shopping/cooking etc. As they're older they want to stay up later (not really unreasonable :rotfl:) so I didn't get any time to myself. Now I have a few days without them, so I'm having a PJ day today, slobbing.... perfect.
    Byatt wrote: »
    http://www.upworthy.com/hell-hath-no-fury-like-98-year-old-woman-promising-to-help-a-friend?c=ufb1

what a beautiful, inspirational woman...maybe I *will* still be driving...

I love that website - did you catch Ellen advertising the pen for women? Hilarious. The senator trying to ban abortions is also thought provoking.

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with DD & DD's g/f Byatt - it must be exhausting for you. No real advice to offer, sorry, but I think you're right to say that you need to put yourself first, however hard that may feel. There is only so much stuff one person can deal with before it starts impacting on their health.

LB - love the photos :T your girls look lovely & what a pad they have to live in..... Room for one more?

Hope all are having a lovely day in the sunshine.
    & as for some happy ending I'd rather stay single & thin :D

• BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I'm lucky to have started my Easter weekend early and it's soooo lovely to not be at work. I've been out and about this morning running errands and this afternoon I intend to curl up with a book and relax. When I know others are at work - it always feels a bit naughtier somehow lol

JKS - glad you had a good holiday. Have a well deserved PJ day :)
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Why, why, why...after you get rid of the huge bag of cables that you are certain you will never need and have not needed for years...you suddenly require ONE hdmi cable...:mad::rotfl:

Sometimes I wonder about myself...:o

The spring cleaning is still ongoing...so although being very thorough it's taking me a long time, I'm still concentrating on the living room. :o So I'm available for tea and cake but you may find it cheaper to hire someone in! :D

Glad you susrvived the holiday JKS. ;)

My Boy-cat has taken to the bedroom on a permanent basis, even the bribe of a brand new toy or two has not persuaded him that he likes a clean, organised home.

Hope everyone has a good holiday break, I'm going to treat myself to an Easter Egg, probably after the event!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Now, that sounds like a plan Byatt.. My snag is that I don't really like milk chocolate as much as plain/dark and I can leave it if I have to.
    I only really, really like dark chocolate.
    I suspect that the proportion of people who prefer dark is far higher than the amount of dark choc available. A!di is good for choc, there is some choice, but I want MORE... there are no dark choc eggs in A!di other than the little marzipan one.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • grousescot
    grousescot Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks

I haven't posted here for a while but have been following the thread.
    Any issues I have don't really compare to what many of you are dealing with so I don't like to break into a supportive exchange.

Me, I'm feeling in the doldrums. Things at work have knocked my self-confidence a fair bit. The area I am in is still being established so many things are still up in the air which is a source of anxiety for me. I made a point of raising this with my manager (as constructively as possible), we had a chat and they are satisfied with my performance. My mood still seems to go up and down like a see-saw depending on how I felt I got on each day with uncertainty over even a routine task causing me to worry.

I would be interested to know how the rest of you distract yourself from work issues when you get home as this seems to hang over my free time as well as working hours. This is a downside of living on your own I suppose - I've been guilty of coming home, sitting on the sofa and kind of staring into space for a while before finally getting on with preparing dinner.

I'm in the fortunate position of not going back to work until Tuesday so I'm determined to get more done in clearing up my living space. The last couple of weekends, when I'd usually spend a lot of time half-dozing in bed, I made myself do some of the more neglected tasks: hoovering and mopping everywhere and doing the bathroom as well as not letting washing up pile up. If I can get to where I do this more out of habit than anything else then I will feel I have achieved something. One task I will have to tackle is clearing out my two wardrobes. There is stuff on the floors in boxes which I don't think I've looked at since I moved in nearly 9 years ago. It's not in the way but if I haven't missed it all this time, why keep it?

Enough late-night wittering from me. Hoping everyone else here is getting on OK.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2014 at 8:48AM
    Options
    GrouseScot

Personally, work was..ahem...more than a little problematic for me and retirement was a big relief in that sense.

My work problems went on for years one way and another and it did get me really down sometimes. There was basically no way out either, as I had a comparatively-speaking secure job and had to bear in mind the pension at the end of it. But..yep..you name it and I probably had it:(

In the end, for the sake of my sanity and knowing how trapped in the job I was, I developed a couple of self-preservation rules:

- I made sure I went out at lunchtime every day, even if I had nothing I wished to do. If there wasn't shopping or something to do, then I just went out anyway and had a walk.

- I learnt to "put up the shutters" mentally as soon as I left work for the day and try to only remember I had a job JUST enough to make sure that I was back in there again come the next workday. It did take some time and practice to get those "shutters" in place, but when you've had a point where you came very close to committing suicide because of the pressures of the job you've got two choices. Either "Go down" or think "They are NOT going to do that to me" and develop your strategies to deal with the job.

- If it's the type of job where it would be perfectly possible for you to receive mobile phone calls (if you need to for "running your life type purposes"), but there are rules preventing you from having your phone on at work regardless. Well, the view most of us had was we would have our mobiles on anyway (provided it wouldn't interfere with our job of course) and have them in our pockets and set to vibrate, rather than ring and that way we could still receive a message if we needed to and then make a phonecall back, if need be, at the next break we had. It helped us to feel a bit more "sane"/less "imprisoned" to know that we could still manage to have that bit of contact with the outside world if something came up we had to know about.
    Our employer was pretty darn intrusive, but even they didn't resort to "frisking us" at least to check if we did indeed have phones in our pockets.:rotfl:

Get those strategies worked out now, even if you don't feel too bad right now, because a lot of us can handle work problems OR we can handle personal problems. But, when both things come together, it can lead to feeling pretty desperate. Hence you need to mentally "shut off" work after the workday is over to ensure you keep enough "reserves" to hand for "you and your life" in case of any problems coming up in that too.

EDIT: you do need to work out which work colleagues you can trust personally too. I was just thinking what the few I found trustworthy had in common with each other and I guess ideal combination for trustworthiness was intelligent/cynical/kind nature/a bit unconventional. Trusting the wrong ones (ie the career-minded ones or the conventional/follow rules for the sake of it regardless ones were the ones to be a bit more "cautious" about I found personally).
  • RosiePuddingPaws
    Options
    Grousescot - don't worry about posting. Just because you are having different issues, doesn't mean you can't post them. The thread is here to give support for singlies, not singlies with only specific issues.

Worrying about work, when things are difficult, is a problem. Take comfort from the fact that your managers are happy with how you are doing. For distraction? A good film or book, or getting out and about to give your mind something else to concentrate on?

I know the thing about stuff in boxes as I have some myself. My third bedroom is stuffed with things that came down out of the loft and I really need to start getting them out the house. On the plus side, my loft is empty (and as I don't like going up ladders that is a good thing).

I also know the thing about not keeping up with the cleaning. Until a couple of months ago I was the same. As you say, it is a case of getting into a habit to keep everything tidy. At the end of the day, the only person who has to live in the mess is you - and don't you deserve a better environment?

LavenderBees - congratulations on your lovely new chickens. Their house is wonderful and they obviously like it as they are giving eggs already.

I hope everyone has a happy few days off.

RPP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport