Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pete1976 wrote: »
    Our local credit union, Castle and Crystal is currently offering 5.25% on its Cash ISA (to people living or working in the Dudley borough) :D

Are there any disadvantages to putting funds into this kind of institution? As far as I can tell they're covered by the FSCS. The only restricting term on the account I can see is the requirement to give 30 days notice for withdrawals. Oh and the interest rate is variable of course.

Just wondering about the prudence of putting cash into a credit union really.
    Credit unions are, generally, pretty dodgy. But the daft "levelling up" of the FSCS means that it is no riskier than investing in a blue chip bank or building society.

I'd go for it, if I lived in Dudley.

Do they allow transfers in too?
  • pete1976
    pete1976 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Credit unions are, generally, pretty dodgy. But the daft "levelling up" of the FSCS means that it is no riskier than investing in a blue chip bank or building society.

I'd go for it, if I lived in Dudley.

Do they allow transfers in too?

Thanks MarkyMark. I don't believe they do allow transfers in unfortunately.

Interestingly they describe the interest as a "dividend"; don't know if that's significant in any way!?
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Kazza242 wrote: »
    Mini Cash ISAs: The Best ISAs Currently Available List

Fixed rate mini cash isa's that accept transfers in:
    • 2 Year Fixes:

• Cheltenham & Gloucester Fixed Rate ISA - 3.50%
      Minimum deposit: £30,000+ (to qualify for the higher rate).
      Interest payment: Interest can be paid away or compounded.
      Notes: Fixed until 30/06/2011. 3.00% is paid for balances totalling £15,000 - £29,999 and 2.50% for £100 - £14,999.

If anyone can think of any other ISAs I may have missed please do suggest them.

This ISA should not be listed in this section as it only accepts transfers in when the new account is opened with new money (ie. this years subscription).
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    This ISA should not be listed in this section as it only accepts transfers in when the new account is opened with new money (ie. this years subscription).

Did Cheltenham and Gloucester tell you this when you made an enquiry about opening this ISA? I've had a look at the website, but I can't find where it states that you must also subscribe this year's allowance.

From what I can tell, the website states that if you wish to open or transfer the ISA by transferring in this year's allowance you must top it up to £3,600 to meet the minimum opening balance. It also mentions the option of transferring in ISAs held with other providers, but doesn't appear to state that, in order to do so, you'll need to subscribe this year's allowance too.
    As you’ll need the full cash ISA subscription limit of £3,600 to open the C&G Fixed-Rate ISA

It does state the above, but this could mean that you need at least £3,600 to open the ISA, as £3,600 is the minimum operating balance.

If C&G have given you this info (or you've found it in the T&C's) please do post the info or the link and I'll update the info for this ISA.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did Cheltenham and Gloucester tell you this when you made an enquiry about opening this ISA? I've had a look at the website, but I can't find where it states that you must also subscribe this year's allowance.

From what I can tell, the website states that if you wish to open or transfer the ISA by transferring in this year's allowance you must top it up to £3,600 to meet the minimum opening balance. It also mentions the option of transferring in ISAs held with other providers, but doesn't appear to state that, in order to do so, you'll need to subscribe this year's allowance too.

It does state the above, but this could mean that you need at least £3,600 to open the ISA, as £3,600 is the minimum operating balance.

If C&G have given you this info (or you've found it in the T&C's) please do post the info or the link and I'll update the info for this ISA.

I have opened one of these accounts during this current tax year and funded it with a transferred ISA from previous years (over 3600) - however, there was no need for me to subscribe to this year's ISA
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I have opened one of these accounts during this current tax year and funded it with a transferred ISA from previous years (over 3600) - however, there was no need for me to subscribe to this year's ISA

Thanks Frogletina. Your info is much appreciated.

The info on the C&G website seemed to suggest that subscribing this year's allowance wasn't a requirement to open this ISA, like I thought. Your information has confirmed that this ISA can be opened by transferring in ISAs from previous years only - provided that they meet the minimum opening balance of at least £3,600 or above.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • harz99
    Options

That is exactly what I was told when I rang them to query how I could open the account with only a transfer of previous tax years contributions.

I suppose it is possible the agent got it wrong.

Maybe, in the light of what Frogletina says I'll try again, if I can get them to send me 2 sets of forms for the 2 of us! I'll let you know if I get a better answer this time.
  • steve888
    steve888 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    sorry if this is a simple question but can i transfer my old isas into newly opended natwest isa( without putting in any new money)

and then open a new first direct isa and subscribe to this with NEW money

I have reda the thread but cant seeem to figure it out

thanks for any help

steve
  • DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Steve, you can certainly do this, just as long as your new money doesn't exceed the yearly limit of £3600.
  • harz99
    Options
    Thanks Frogletina. Your info is much appreciated.

The info on the C&G website seemed to suggest that subscribing this year's allowance wasn't a requirement to open this ISA, like I thought. Your information has confirmed that this ISA can be opened by transferring in ISAs from previous years only - provided that they meet the minimum opening balance of at least £3,600 or above.

Okay, so I have just got off the phone to C&G, having spoken to a CSA (Rowena Palmer) who was very definite that I would have to be placing the current tax year's subscription with them to open this account!

That could either be via an ISA transfer (or transfers) from another provider(s) which include the 09/10 £3600, or by a depositing £3600 with them and then arranging transfer of previous years ISAs from other providers.

C&G will not accept a transfer on its own to open this account unless new money in the form of this (09/10) years funds are included!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback