PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• kezbabybabe
    Options
    Ooo Goodie, I hope my subscription copy doesn't take too long to arrive. :o
  • Sunnygirl_2
    Options
    I'm not a very experienced knitter having only knitted a few hats, scarves and just finished my first set of baby booties and mittens (simple patterns mind you). I'm now on my first baby cardigan and I'm a bit stuck.

The pattern is for a crew neck cardigan which is worked in one piece the armholes. I've got 67 stitches in total and worked the pattern to the point where I now need to 'divide for right front'. It then says:

Next row: patt 15 turn and work on these sts only. Work 9 rows in patt.

So, my question is - how do I do that? Do i need to put the remaining stitches on a stitch holder? If so - I've not used one before so idiot proof instructions would be welcomed!

Thanks everyone - hope someone can help.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunnygirl wrote: »
    I'm not a very experienced knitter having only knitted a few hats, scarves and just finished my first set of baby booties and mittens (simple patterns mind you). I'm now on my first baby cardigan and I'm a bit stuck.

The pattern is for a crew neck cardigan which is worked in one piece the armholes. I've got 67 stitches in total and worked the pattern to the point where I now need to 'divide for right front'. It then says:

So, my question is - how do I do that? Do i need to put the remaining stitches on a stitch holder? If so - I've not used one before so idiot proof instructions would be welcomed!

I think you can just leave the other stitches on the needle un-knitted. It will basically mean the bit you are knitting will concertina a little as you knit up but once you cast off the top part (or put on a stitch holder if pattern says that) it will be fine.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sunnygirl wrote: »

You don't need to put the remaining sts on a holder. You do exactly what it says. Patt 15 and then turn your work and work back on the sts you've just knitted. In a way, it's like putting the sts on a holder but you don't need to bother. As your knitting grows on the sts you are working on, it'll look a bit odd, but when you've finished your right side of the front, you'll be casting off and attaching the yarn to the sts remaining and knitting that side to match the other
  • Sunnygirl_2
    Options
    Thanks so much for such a speedy reply - I'll have a go at that now and see how I get on!:j:j:j
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    saorsie wrote: »
    Am looking at replacing my random collection of straight knitting needles with some lovely sparkly new ones ~ first instinct was to go for the knit - pro set as I already have the circular needle set however then came across these and remembered someone saying how good they found casein needles. What's your thoughts chaps? ~ they are considerably cheaper :o

-s-

I, too, have a motley collection of needles - some were mine, some my grandmother's, some my mother's and some my mother-in-law's. I need to sort through and rationalise the collection.

I bought a knitpro symphonie set of interchangeable circular needles that I love and always use, even for back and forth knitting, but I was disappointed when one of the thinnest tips - size 3mm I think (not part of the set but bought as extras) snapped mid row.

I've not seen or heard of casein needles so can't help with that one but do let us know what you decide. I think the idea of using milk protein is brilliant and it's certainly a renewable resource; although I guess you would have to look at energy use for manufacture to assess just how environmentally friendly they are (Idea for a new book - 1001 things to do with milk!!!)

Oooh - another thought - have you looked on the internet for reviews of casein needles.

Sue
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 February 2011 at 10:04AM
    Options
    susan946 wrote: »
    I, too, have a motley collection of needles - some were mine, some my grandmother's, some my mother's and some my mother-in-law's. I need to sort through and rationalise the collection.

I bought a knitpro symphonie set of interchangeable circular needles that I love and always use, even for back and forth knitting, but I was disappointed when one of the thinnest tips - size 3mm I think (not part of the set but bought as extras) snapped mid row.

I've not seen or heard of casein needles so can't help with that one but do let us know what you decide. I think the idea of using milk protein is brilliant and it's certainly a renewable resource; although I guess you would have to look at energy use for manufacture to assess just how environmentally friendly they are (Idea for a new book - 1001 things to do with milk!!!)

Oooh - another thought - have you looked on the internet for reviews of casein needles.

Sue
    I have a motley collection too (great description I too had to use!)- I like it that way, like the history of it in my hands. I love vintage patterns too....in face more than modern ones I think!
    I like the thought that my mum, or someone else, has knitted for hours with the same needles. I also like the old numbering system on them, kind of like old money to me!
    Would be interested to hear about the casein needles though. I have added some needles to my collection, I love my bamboo needles (apart from one which has a hairline crack :() but still revert to metal quite a lot!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I have a motley collection too (great description I too had to use!)- I like it that way, like the history of it in my hands. I love vintage patterns too....in face more than modern ones I think!
    I like the thought that my mum, or someone else, has knitted for hours with the same needles. I also like the old numbering system on them, kind of like old money to me!
    Would be interested to hear about the casein needles though. I have added some needles to my collection, I love my bamboo needles (apart from one which has a hairline crack :() but still revert to metal quite a lot!
    I too have inherited quite a range of metal knitting needles, from both grandmothers and my mum and like you OrkneyStar, I like to think of them while I knit using the same needles.

I must have more circular needles somewhere (did loads of Icelandic and Norwegian jumpers in the 70s and 80s)...they must be in one of my trunks in the loft...can't wait to get them down from there...not sure where the trunks would fit though...there's loads of one of my grannies stash there too...mainly sewing (she was a tailor), but other stuff too...oooh it'll be like a treasure trove!

If I do need to get more circular needles, I like the idea of the knit-pro ones. In the meantime, I will make do with my shuttle-!!!! tube full of needles!! The double-ended ones are in another tube I got when we lived in Holland in the 80s. I have them paired/quadrupled up with either wool or elastic bands. Some are still together from when mum sorted them, many years ago!

Not able to knit or sew
    atm (or very much else :(), as I have hurt my shoulder, so only just managing to sit here at the 'puter and type.

Got to go now and get washed and dressed...lazy morning! DS's 18th birthday today, and after opening all his pressies, he went off to the shower...my excuse for lounging around!!

Have a great day everyone.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Catwoman103
    Options
    I have old needles from my mum, and from my Aunt's mother who also left me her old button bix which contained loads of really old fashioned buttons she had saved from old clothes. I still add to it now and use the odd buttons when required.

I ahve bought some lovely bamboo needles, 23cm ones, whcih are long enough for most things but not too long that they tap you on the upper arm when knitting. These are getting much better to knit with now I've been using them for a while although I have had the odd splinter.
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • mallyboo
    Options
    Hello, I`m new to the forum. Just wanted to ask if anyone has done any shadow knitting? I just finished my first attempt from a freebie pattern on Ravelry,(a tigers head) I was so pleased that it actually worked out!!:j

I`ve now started on the teddy bear baby blanket (also found on Ravelry).
    I came across shadow knitting by accident and bought the book by Vivian Hoxbro, I can`t find any other books, does anyone know of any? I`m so glad Ravelry had lots more patterns than the book. I think I`m hooked!!
    Just as I`m about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends!:doh:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure