PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hubby & I were in the kitchen at the time the breadmaker was on and even he heard the noises. Hubby has not got the best of hearing so I just wanted to make sure that this was normal.
  • Caro75
    Caro75 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I have just bought the panasonic SD253 (and I love it!!). And I was wondering if I could make shortcrust pastry with it. Has anyone tried yet?

Many thanks

Caro
    "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing."
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a Russel Hobbs as it was recommended to me but I haven't tried it yet. I'm a bit apprehensive!:o
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll never look back once you take that first step :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caro75 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have just bought the panasonic SD253 (and I love it!!). And I was wondering if I could make shortcrust pastry with it. Has anyone tried yet?

Many thanks

Caro
    My breadmaker isn't the 253 but there's no recipe in my hand book for pastry. No doubt someone will be along in a short while who has a magic machine... :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a good site.

https://www.crockpot.cdkitchen.com

Hope helps someone :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• beany
    beany Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I have been following this with interest, always wanted a breadmaker but didn't know what to choose-where to start.
    I see many people have recommended the Panasonic and thought I would start saving, but today I have just been shopping and in the cash generator shop they have

'Graded' don't know what that is, Russell Hobbs breadmaker 4461 for £29.99 in white,
    They had a chrome one for £39.99 the box looked the same, didn't ask.

Has anyone got this one or know anything about it?

I don't want to buy it just because it's cheap and them find it's not much good,
    Thanks
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    I managed to get one for £15 from the paper, went to collect it thinking it was going to be a bit rough....... the lady has hardley used it, it looks brand new and it's a breville AWT one.:j

Tried my first loaf and it was lovely :D

my second though wasn't as good, i left it in the machine to 'keep warm' and it seems to be a bit soggy at the bottom now :(

Also when it is mixing in the BM is the dough meant to be smooth and lovely to the touch, or is it supposed to be a bit sticky :confused: it's just that i've been getting paranoid that i've put in too much liquid so i've been adding extra flour while it's mixing.
    Can anyone help ?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine often looks too sticky at first but then settles down.

I found though, with my first several ones following the recipe faithfully, that the dough was still a little sticky at the end of all the knocking up. I gradually added an extra 20g of flour with each new loaf until I got a mix that finished dry to the touch at the end.

But trying to adjust during kneading can be very difficult and misleading - you could finish up with concrete :)
  • silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    I've ordered my first ever breadmaker, its a morphy richards Model: "48280" reduced to £44.99 from Littlewoods online, then I got a discount of £15 for it being my first order...

I'm sure I'll be in here a lot when it comes cos I aint got much of a clue how to use it, but I cant wait to smell that fresh bread when I wake up in the morning

Thanks squeaky for your help yesterday and future thanks for all the help I'll get from everyone when it comes lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure