Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?

Options

Comments

• mmpombears
    Options
    I think ypaymore has hit the nail on the head. If this change directly increases the cost of your monthly bill then I am sure you have a legal right (under consumer law, which trumps tmobiles own T&Cs every day of the week) to cancel early without financial penalty. Good luck.

I won't be charged extra, but it will certainly affect me (along with others who use far more than 500MB per month). I'm not sure what can be done, but I definitely will argue against it.

Surely I can't be the only tmobile user to have received the text?
  • shianatika
    Options
    I received it and I just called T-Mobile to see if I could cancel, I'm not sure where the call centre is but English was definitely not their first language and the lady I spoke to got a little confused. After being put on hold a few times she said she could confirm I would have 3GB to the end of my contract. I asked if I could have this in an email, she said she did not have the facility, so I asked for a letter and she said she could send me a text message confirming it. I have not received it as yet and I’m pretty sure she did not have a clue what she was talking about.
  • pinkllama
    pinkllama Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi all,

I've just been on the phone to t-mobile c/s and eventually got through to a manager.
    they are trying to use clause 7.1.2 of our contracts to evade customers requests to cancel contracts.
    the clause basically states that they can change or withdraw additional services with 30 days notice.
    i pointed out that the 3gb internet allowance is part of my plan and not an additional service, to no avail - even the manager seemed to be reading off a script! she even started to tell me that i would now be better off.

anyway the conversation was going nowhere so i was sms'd the postal and email address of t-mobile admin UK and thankyou and good bye, by which time the manager had already hung up.

I'm really angry about this as i chose t-mobile for its 3gb fair use policy. i now think the best way to pursue this is to write/email t-mobile in the UK. it seems the Philippine call centre has been given its orders!

T-Mobile (UK)
    Customer Administration
    6 Camberwell Way
    Doxford Technology Park
    Doxford
    Sunderland
    Tyne & Wear
    SR3 3XN

cust.rel@t-mobile.co.uk
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh, that is a slap in the face for T Mobile data users. After the Vodafone fiasco a lot of people migrated over there for the higher internet usage.

Which is probably why T-Mobile have done this.

Ironically Vodafone's 1 gigabyte isnt looking like bad value now.
  • talkalot
    talkalot Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this helps. Found it on another forum.
    http://twitter.com/TmobileUKhelp/status/19556910031
  • ruggedtoast
    edited 10 January 2011 at 2:55PM
    Options
    http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=DATA_CHANGES
    So remember our Mobile Broadband and internet on your phone service is best used for browsing which means looking at your favorite websites like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, BBC News and more, checking your email and looking for information, but not watching videos or downloading files.

If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband.
    Yeah, you just save that stuff.

Edit: Thats only your favourite websites mind. No surfing on ones you dont like that much. Bandwidth doesnt grow on trees.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    If you can argue that a reduction in the data amount would cost you money then here is your potential get-out

2.11.2. If You are a Consumer and the change is of material
    detriment to You, We will send You Written Notice 30 days
    before the terms and conditions are due to change. The
    new terms and conditions will apply to You once that
    notice has run out, unless You terminate Your Agreement
    with Us within that notice period. If You do this You won’t
    have to pay any Cancellation Charge that would otherwise
    apply, see point 7.2.3.2.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/resources/sites/TMOBILE/content/live/DOCUMENTS/0/DO117/en_GB/36014777_Online_TCs_v1.pdf
  • ruggedtoast
    Options
    They just throttle data so you cant argue that.

You're left with challenging that the reduction will leave the contract not fit for purpose I think. Thats how I would play it.
  • villainrom
    Options
    @Pinkllama,

They've not given 30 days' notice here, as 30 days would be the 10th of Feb, roughly.

1st of Feb is nearer 20 days, so they will need to re-do this for it to be binding.

Also, most people haven't received anything (I've mainly spoken to people on the 3GB android plan) via SMS, so have had no written confirmation.

Seems T-Mobile don't actually know themselves, which is pathetic.
  • mmpombears
    Options
    Update - no call back, so I phoned them again.

Got through to a clueless person this time, who insisted that the 500MB FUP only applied to downloads and not web browsing, and has nothing to do with them changing their T&Cs (I quoted 2.11.2 above to no avail as she didn't understand) since it applied to everyone (??)

Despite me stating web browsing bandwidth will be deducted from the 500MB per month, she seemed adamant that web browsing/downloading had separate allowances such that I could only download 500MB worth of videos but can browse as much as I want. If I wanted to terminate my contract now I would have to pay a penalty charge of £218. Don't understand how companies could allow such clueless people to work for them.

She then put me through to a member of the cancellations team, who hung up on me after I stated my enquiry.

Here goes attempt number 3...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport