Equifax Fraud Alert Letter

Options

Comments

• ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oddities wrote: »
    Yes it's the same address in the letter.

I don't know what criteria they use to see whether a credit report application is fraudulent, but I'm glad they seem to have measures in place.
    At the moment, all that I'm aware of is that someone claiming to be me has applied for my credit report. I'm not sure what they could do with this information but am pleased that the application appears to have been blocked.

The next step seems to be to send my information to Equifax in order to see if there are any other incidents in my reports, but I wanted to make sure this was the right thing to do.

I don't think they are actually required to send you the free report but I think they have to give you the option. They are however required to inform the other credit agencies.
  • Oddities
    Options
    I don't think they are actually required to send you the free report but I think they have to give you the option. They are however required to inform the other credit agencies.

So do you think it would be wise to take them up on the option? Could there be any downsides that you can see?
  • ashp_2
    Options
    So do you think it would be wise to take them up on the option? Could there be any downsides that you can see?

I would take the option. No harm in getting all 3 reports sent out for free!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I phoned Equifax customer services but found this to be confusing and unhelpful.

What number did you call them on?

Did you get it off the letter?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Oddities
    Options

Yes I got it off the letter - 0800 090 2229. Seems to be right - I also contacted them through their website and this contact number was in their reply.
  • ashp_2
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »

Equifax call centres are not great. I have called a couple of times before. Call centres I have got through to are abroad, I couldn't understand them and what I did understand didn't make sense!
  • Max.yates7
    Options
    What was the outcome? Did you send details in and get a response? I have received a letter exactly the same in the post today.
    Thank you.
  • Bisonic
    Options
    Hi all,
    So I just got a letter saying my data has been breached by hackers in the US in May. Says to call a number and go through various things with them for 15 mins to secure my stuff. I called a number I found online first for the official Equifax.co.uk and spoke to a robotic lady in the Philipinnes for 2 mins - then called the number on the letter which also put me through to a lady in the Phillipines...
    Anyone had a similair letter / experience?
    Cheers
  • cometomama
    cometomama Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2017 at 4:53PM
    Options
    Yes I just received a letter from Equifax saying my personal data was accessed in May by hackers in a cyber attack against Equifax in the US in May this year.

Who the hell are they? Equifax? Never heard of them before today. I'm not speaking to anyone in the bloody Philippines and don't want to send any information to Equifax. Do I just ignore it?

ANYBODY? just a little advice?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cometomama wrote: »
    Yes I just received a letter from Equifax saying my personal data was accessed in May by hackers in a cyber attack against Equifax in the US in May this year.

Who the hell are they? Equifax? Never heard of them before today. I'm not speaking to anyone in the bloody Philippines and don't want to send any information to Equifax. Do I just ignore it?

Equifax are one of the three main Credit agencies in the UK and they already have plenty of information about you such as Name, DOB, Address and information on any bank accounts and credit products you have.

But you do need to make sure the letter isn't fraudulent before you respond to it.

I would also recommend you check your credit report at all three agencies if you have never heard of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure