Large single Parent Family getting Debt free

Options
kimplus8
kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 7 September 2016 at 10:25PM in Debt free diaries
Hi all,
I'm kim Mumma to 8 beautiful babies.
I have around £20k of debt excluding my Student loan and I want it all gone, I don't want to owe a single penny.
I'm posting a SOA today and I need to get a car as mine has died and I need it to get the kids to 3 different childcare settings/school, busses are hourly so I either need a car or I will have to pay for wraparound care for 3 of my kids at a different setting to the others (lack of school places in my area also but all on waiting lists).
I have a new starter to high school this year so dreading the uniform costs.
I am supposed to get child support from the EX's but going through the process of CMS at the moment.
thanks for looking at my diary xx
Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023

Comments

• kimplus8
    Options
    Off to start my envelope system today, I have to take out of the ank exactly what we need to spend for the week and then hide my bank card. Rent etc is all paid on 1st of the month. :-) by standing orders/ direct debit and the rest is divided between my envelopes and used to pay for groceries, travel costs, my blow it fund, clothes/ shoes fund, school fund etc
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • kimplus8
    Options
    meal plan for the week:
    Sat night- just me and three of the kids so Jacket pots cheese and beans.
    Sunday-Roast chicken, spuds, carrots and cabbage
    Sunday night- sarnies with one of the fillings we have in the cupboard
    Monday- Leftover roast chicken risotto with peas and pesto
    Monday night- sarnies
    Tuesday- sausage pasta bake
    Tuesday night- left over chicken stock soup and rolls
    Wednesday- Jacket pots with fillings we have in cupboard (prob tuna mayo)
    Wed night- leftover sausage pasta
    Thursday- Fish fingers, homemade wedges and beans
    Thursday night- Sarnies
    Friday- salad/breadrolls/cold meat from fridge
    Friday night- leftovers night (I have a mix of meals in the freezer, so who knows!)
    Saturday- Pasta with sauce and whatever meat I have in freezer (chicken or mince)
    Sat Night- sarnies, pop crisp and video night.

still spent £30 on milk bread and loo roll etc for the week but otherwise a no spend.
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Woke up feeling awful, another thread of mine got quite heated last night and while Iwould love to say it doesn't hurt, its really upset me. I love my kids so much I will overcome this for them.
    I feel so blessed, they are smart and intelligent and have really kind hearts.
    We don't have a lot of money and now I'm on mat leave its only going to get harder but we will get there.
    I'm going to crush this debt, have some proper savings and move forward with my head held high, screw all the haters, they are gonna have a negative view of me no matter what I do, but that just makes me all the more determined to crack on and be successful.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You know what, I saw it and this one. I was going to comment on your other thread, but in light of your last post instead I'll put my suggestion/s on here.:) Well done on your meal plan. I was going to suggest you reduce your (understandably) large grocery bill. Have a look on the old style board, for cutting costs on meals. I can immediately think of one long term member who is often on there who has a large family. What did you decide re kids lunches? I have only 2 children but I find the cost a lot when added up. If you do go down the packed lunch route, have the kids help out with baked treats for the week. Looking forward to reading your journey.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Kim

I'm here and subscribing because I want to know how you get on, and because I'm hopeful that all will work itself out for you. I think you sound like an amazing woman.
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Kim, trying to post this for the third time! Stupid tablet! At one time
    I was responsible for 12 children, 10 of whom took packed lunches every day. So a few ideas for you.

Sandwiches can be batch made and frozen, as long as there is no salad in them.

Small cakes, biscuits, flapjacks etc. Cheap and you could involve the older children in making them.

Aldi, and possibly Lidl too, sell multiple of crisps and snacks that work out at less than 10 p a pack.

Cold cooked pasta, cooked vegetables or salad, eg cold peas, corn, chopped tomatoes, all mixed with a squirt of ketchup.

Homemade pizza, or little pies pasties.

Don't buy drinks, use a flask or old drink bottle with squash or water.

Popcorn, homemade with either homemade toffee or sprinkled with icing sugar while stile warm.

Fruit is often cheaper from a market or greengrocers. Buy in season. Or put vegetables instead, eg carrot sticks, cucumber, peppers.

Individual jellies made in little pots, if you can find resealable pots. Or tinned fruit, custard, rice pudding.

You may already know all the above. Don't mean to be patronising.

You sound like a lovely person, and I'm sure you can do this. Love, M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    You know what, I saw it and this one. I was going to comment on your other thread, but in light of your last post instead I'll put my suggestion/s on here.:) Well done on your meal plan. I was going to suggest you reduce your (understandably) large grocery bill. Have a look on the old style board, for cutting costs on meals. I can immediately think of one long term member who is often on there who has a large family. What did you decide re kids lunches? I have only 2 children but I find the cost a lot when added up. If you do go down the packed lunch route, have the kids help out with baked treats for the week. Looking forward to reading your journey.
    I'm actually in credit at school with their lunches so this week is their last week of school dinners and then they will be on packed lunches. At £40 a week its just not a cost I can justify, especially when somedays they have a sarnie or wrap for lunch, I can do it wayyyyy cheaper than school and probably healthier too.
    From Monday they are all having packed lunches, I'm going to £1 land tomorrow to get some lunch boxes and maybe for Christmas etc if they want a more fancy lunchbox (starwars or MLP etc) they can put that on their list for santa.
    I think with proper meal planning I can cut down sooooo much on my shopping costs, once I have the car I will go to Aldi again, sadly as I don't have it at the moment Ive been stuck with sainsburys and TBH its really expensive.
    I cant wait to start planning some new and exciting mealsfor us. My greandma used to make everything from scratch and I loved helping her as a child, last night my eldest peeled all the spuds and carrots, my middle girl did the washing up, my boys folded the laundry and we were all in the kitchen/diner together just chatting and laughing, it was really lovely and the internet didn't go on all day!!!. Long may it continue.
  • kimplus8
    Options
    mumtoomany wrote: »
    Hi Kim, trying to post this for the third time! Stupid tablet! At one time
    I was responsible for 12 children, 10 of whom took packed lunches every day. So a few ideas for you.

Sandwiches can be batch made and frozen, as long as there is no salad in them.

Small cakes, biscuits, flapjacks etc. Cheap and you could involve the older children in making them.

Aldi, and possibly Lidl too, sell multiple of crisps and snacks that work out at less than 10 p a pack.

Cold cooked pasta, cooked vegetables or salad, eg cold peas, corn, chopped tomatoes, all mixed with a squirt of ketchup.

Homemade pizza, or little pies pasties.

Don't buy drinks, use a flask or old drink bottle with squash or water.

Popcorn, homemade with either homemade toffee or sprinkled with icing sugar while stile warm.

Fruit is often cheaper from a market or greengrocers. Buy in season. Or put vegetables instead, eg carrot sticks, cucumber, peppers.

Individual jellies made in little pots, if you can find resealable pots. Or tinned fruit, custard, rice pudding.

You may already know all the above. Don't mean to be patronising.

You sound like a lovely person, and I'm sure you can do this. Love, M2m.
    the freezing sandwiches idea is genius!!!! I freeze loaves of bread anyways so I'm guessing if I go to the oops isle I can get enough stuff for the week super cheap and just make it all up and freeze. quite often in the local market they do free delivery if you spend over £30 on fruit and veg, I can easily do this for all 8 of us so that would save me having to lug it all home.
    I have been buying individual jelly pots etc but I think I'm going to just make up huge batches in reusable pot and do that, buy a block of cheese and give them cheese cubes instead of cheesestrings/dippers, chop cucumber, carrots and peppers with hummos or other dips and the pasta!
    My kids love pasta, I can easily cook huge batches of pasta and they can take that, in-fact I have some vouchers for Debenhams from my birthday and \I have seen some thermos things for hot soup and pasta, I could grab a few of those if they want hot pasta/soup in the winter term.
    Its it mental that I'm actually quite excited about all this. LOL
  • kimplus8
    Options
    I've also gotten 3 meals out of one chicken this week which I have never managed before. I usually get 2 chickens for £4 each from sainsburys/Tesco and that does us for one roast with the amount they shrink and because i've never really thought to make more of it.
    This weekend I bought a huge free range chicken from the local food market, It was massive and didn't shrink upon cooking at all, I slow cooker-ed it, had a roast for sunday, stripped it bare for toinights risotto and then threw it back all carcassed into the slow cooker all night with water and some wilted veggies and made some lovely brothy soup for tomorrows lunch.
  • MoneyMission2015
    Options
    Hi Kim

I just read your other thread and was going to comment on there but noticed that you mentioned a diary, so rather than bringing up that nasty thread again I decided to come on here instead.

I just wanted to say good luck to you. You seem like a lovely person who is really trying her best to give her children the best she can. Who cares if you have 2 kids, 8 kids or 20 kids, you're trying and setting them a good example.

You sound like you're getting some inspiration from here with your food planning and packed lunches, so keep going with that and make sure you keep coming on here to get more ideas.

Have you tried the old style board yet? They have loads of frugal tips on there.

Also you mentioned you can't get to aldi because you have no car. Do you have an @sda that will deliver to you? I always find @sda much cheaper and they always have some really good offers. It might be an alternative to using s**insburys while you haven't got a car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure