Large single Parent Family getting Debt free

Options

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Kim

I just read your other thread and was going to comment on there but noticed that you mentioned a diary, so rather than bringing up that nasty thread again I decided to come on here instead.

I just wanted to say good luck to you. You seem like a lovely person who is really trying her best to give her children the best she can. Who cares if you have 2 kids, 8 kids or 20 kids, you're trying and setting them a good example.

You sound like you're getting some inspiration from here with your food planning and packed lunches, so keep going with that and make sure you keep coming on here to get more ideas.

Have you tried the old style board yet? They have loads of frugal tips on there.

Also you mentioned you can't get to aldi because you have no car. Do you have an @sda that will deliver to you? I always find @sda much cheaper and they always have some really good offers. It might be an alternative to using s**insburys while you haven't got a car.
    There is an asda, an not too far away too, I didn't even realise that they delivered. I will give them a look see this week for my food shop and I have heard that they can be cheaper than aldi/Lidl.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Asda seem to deliver everywhere, they drive for nearly an hour to mine. And for only £1 if I choose the right slot.
    They do price comparison too, so I always get at least £1 of the next shop.M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • MoneyMission2015
    Options
    Asda's own brand stuff is pretty good too. My OH and kids were really fussy about having Heinz or Branston baked beans, but I bought Asda's own beans and didn't tell them, made them jacket potato with beans and cheese one day and they didn't even notice. It was a few weeks before my OH realised and that was only because he saw the tin in the recycling :rotfl:

So I do a swap with a lot of my shopping now. Sometimes I'll buy the branded stuff if it's on offer, but only if it works out around the same price.

Definitely start baking. I love baking cakes anyway but don't do it enough, but it works out so much cheaper than constantly buying prepacked cakes etc from the store and means you can whip up a batch of cakes on the weekend ready for packed lunches for the week. My mum used to have a baking day once or twice a month. She would bake fairy cakes, rock cakes, biscuits and she'd also bake some family size cakes, usually a coffee cake for the adults and Victoria sponge for us kids. We used to love coming home from school on baking day seeing all the treats stored away in the pantry. Maybe you could make it a monthly activity with the kids and get them to choose 1 new recipe a month that you could try. I'm sure they would love that.

One other thing that our mum used to do was when she would do the big shop at the beginning of the month, we went with them and were allowed to pick any packet of biscuits each that was just for us (there were 3 of us, I'd usually have maryland cookies). Once that pack of biscuits were gone that was it for the rest of the month, unless we just had a digestive or rich tea. She also did the same with an own brand bottle of pop each when we got older and the same rule applied, it was ours and once it was gone that was it, we had squash, water or milk for the rest of the month.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to see you being so upbeat Kim. :T

Jelly can turn to liquid in packed lunches if the day is warm - ask me how I know :o so if you put in a packet of frozen sandwiches, they will act as a coolpack and prevent this. The sarnies will be defrosted by lunchtime.

Check with school if they are allowed hot items to take in. Some schools can be funny. Recently my eldest was told he couldn't fetch a flask of coffee in from home 'in case he scalded himself'. He's 16!! He asked what if he scalded himself on the drinks he can buy from the school vending machine. So glad he leaves next week, him and school aren't a match made in Heaven. :D

Going to nick the tip above about children having their own allocation of items for my two, sick of telling them the clue is in the name 'weekly grocery shopping' as to how long things should last.
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Hi Yall,
    So I have had a really busy few days, wrapping up looses ends for work before Mat Leave and sorting out my SOA.
    So far I have
    1. Finally made an application to the CMS for the kids, after a rough few days with the ex Husbeast I decided I have had enough of getting shat on and just paid the £20 and applied. Should hear back in a few weeks.
    2. Made a list of what foods/ingredients I have in the cupboard and meal planned around that and then ordered a shop online that came in just over £50 for the whole week- whooooooop!!
    3. Sent off my credit file to the money advice service and okay-ed my application for a DRO.
    4. Planned my daughters birthday party (to be held for free in our garden).
    5. Planned the appeal for my daughters 11+ place to grammar school in Sept.
    6. Had confirmation from LEA that my primary age children are all 1st on the waiting list for our closest school so will have priority should spaces arrive in September.
    7. Sobbed and cried and spat my dummy out several times but come to the realisation that this next year is going to financially tough but worth it in the end to be able to do the best for us as a family and move forward.
    8. Looked at free online courses to tighten my CV up and look at a better job once my mat leave is over
    9. We are going to a free party for Queens 90th this weekend so myself and the kids have made old white t !!!!!! look aaamazeballllssss and have made gorgeous ribbon hairbands. I cant wait to take the kids, its going to be a lovely day and we are taking a gorgeous packed lunch and hopefully ill have some pennies so the kids can have an icecream and watch the jazz band in the sunshine.
    hope everyone is well.
    love kim and the clan.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Joy_Burke
    Joy_Burke Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    You really amaze me with your strength and love for your children. I only have 2 and I can't imagine myself being able to provide for another 6. Good job so far. Subscribing to your thread and just continue to keep the faith!
  • sugar23
    sugar23 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good luck hun. I'm following. Looking forward to updates. You sound like an amazing women and mother . X
    Debt free before Xmas 17 #69
    Cc 3500 / 200
    Cat 1040 / 40
    Car 2592 / 217
    Total 7132 / 457 + taxcredits 81.14p/ 30
  • kimplus8
    edited 10 June 2016 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I have just finished my first attempt at clippering the boys heads, the practice run on the uncomplaining 4 year old looks a bit of a state but is so quick to grow ill be able to shave the patches out again by the summer and DS 8 wanted to be bald so today I did a grade 0. he actually looks pretty cool and says he loves his new 'footy' haircut. so win win all round for me there.
    I'm completely shattered so lying in bed with my babies as I type and getting prepared for our busy weekend.
    The kids dad will not be having contact for a while so that gives me a bit of breathing space at least and allows me to get organised before the summer holidays.
    I'm seeking out free stuff tonight in the primary times and local news online, there are so many playdays in the park and free outings etc, Iam going to get the kids a nation trust membership for crimbo this year so we can visit all those for free :-)))))
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you not entitled to free school meals? On your income, I would have thought that you would not have to pay for school meals.
    https://www.myfreeschoolmeals.com/eligibility
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cte1111 wrote: »
    Are you not entitled to free school meals? On your income, I would have thought that you would not have to pay for school meals.
    https://www.myfreeschoolmeals.com/eligibility
    I think that she may get working tax credits so wouldn't qualify.
    From the link provided

Free School Meals are available to any full-time student who is still at school and eligible. This includes nursery children who attend full days and also sixth form students. From September 2014, parents and carers with pupils aged 16-18 in Further Education can apply for free school meals. You can get Free School Meals for your child if you or your partner gets either:
    Universal Credit.
    Income Support.
    Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of £16,190 or less, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
    Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches. Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also eligible to receive Free School Meals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure