Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    scarlet55 wrote: »
    i know im a pain orville but when i have my appointment with the dro adviser next week, if he has everything he needs from me will he do the form then or will it take longer

If everything is in order and you have all the paperwork they should do it with you there just incase they have a query. It's done on a pc and submitted over the internet.
  • scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    awww thanks for all your advice orville, i'l just be glad when tuesdays here..nervous at the same time tho,,,dont think il get much sleep b4 then lol x
  • Orville
    Options
    awww thanks for all your advice orville, i'l just be glad when tuesdays here..nervous at the same time tho,,,dont think il get much sleep b4 then lol x

No worries, you'll be fine i'm sure...
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    well everythings crossed...will let u know how i get on
  • Sweety83
    Sweety83 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have contacted the CCCS regarding a DRO and they are sending myself and my husband the information needed. I thought that everything was ok but reading this thread has confused me a little.

I owe approx £13500, however, I have a catalogue that is not included for about £5000 as I they are not persuing me for the debt as they do not have a credit agreement for it. It will still be on my credit file though even though I have a letter saying that I do not have to pay it.

Will I not be eligible for the DRO as this will take me over the limit? Also if I don't complete an application but my husband does will I then be solely responsible for all our joint debts?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
    :wall: Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!!!

Proud to be DMP mutual support club member 63: :hello:
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Sweety83 wrote: »
    Hi

I have contacted the CCCS regarding a DRO and they are sending myself and my husband the information needed. I thought that everything was ok but reading this thread has confused me a little.

I owe approx £13500, however, I have a catalogue that is not included for about £5000 as I they are not persuing me for the debt as they do not have a credit agreement for it. It will still be on my credit file though even though I have a letter saying that I do not have to pay it.

Will I not be eligible for the DRO as this will take me over the limit? Also if I don't complete an application but my husband does will I then be solely responsible for all our joint debts?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

If the debt shows up on your credit report then it's balance will need to be included, and will obviously cause a problem with regards to applying for the DRO.

You could consider bankruptcy as an alternative, while your husband continues with the DRO?

When your husband's DRO is approved you will be left liable for all joint debts, but obviously if you were to go bankrupt then those debts would be dealt with within that (as far as them being your liability goes)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/Detail.aspx?ReleaseID=418872&NewsAreaID=2
    Insolvency Service reforms helps more vulnerable people trapped in debt

28 March 2011 16:30

Insolvency Service (National)

displaymedia.ashx?MediaDetailsID=65&SizeID=2

Edward Davey, Business Minister with responsibility for the insolvency regime today welcomed that an amendment to the Insolvency Rules 1986 from 6 April 2011 will allow debtors with an approved pension access to the Debt Relief Order (DRO) regime.

Drawing attention to the change, Edward Davey, said:
    “The insolvency regime exists to free people from unmanageable debt and support them in making a fresh financial start, subject to some conditions. This common sense change will allow those who were previously unable to access a Debt Relief Order, because they had accrued some rights to a pension, fair use of the insolvency regime.”
    DRO’s are an alternative to bankruptcy for people struggling with unmanageable debts of under £15,000, but with few assets and little income. The legislative change will bring the arrangements for accessing DRO’s into line with those for bankruptcy and follow on from a consultation prompted by debt advice agencies. They raised concerns that some people were excluded from this debt relief arrangement because of future pension rights.

Commenting on the changes Una Farrell from the Consumer Credit Counselling Service said;
    “Since they were introduced two years ago, debt relief orders have been an important source of debt relief for many who, for whatever reason, are unable to repay their debts. We welcome the government’s removal of this anomaly today. The change will allow thousands more to access the debt relief they need and the chance of financial rehabilitation.”
    Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
    “This change will address an issue that has been of great concern to us. Bureaux reported seeing numerous people on very low incomes have their applications rejected because of very small pension funds, despite meeting the rest of the criteria for a Debt Relief Order. It will offer some light at the end of the tunnel to people for whom insolvency is the most appropriate option.”
    DROs were introduced in April 2009 following research that identified that there were people in long term debt difficulties who had nothing to offer their creditors and who could not afford to make themselves bankrupt. Delivered in partnership with the professional debt advice sector, DROs provide low cost, easy access to debt relief for those overwhelmed by relatively low levels of unmanageable debt.

To use the DRO procedure individuals must meet a strict eligibility criteria of having assets valued at less than £300, debts of no more than £15,000 and surplus income of less than £50 per month. Currently, if someone has a pension that is worth over £300, they are not eligible to apply, even if the pension is small and not receivable for many years.

For more details on the changes please see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/785/contents/made
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    evening every-one, well its tomorrow that i see the dro adviser at the cab and i am absolutely sh.....ng myself...i think its just fear of the unknown...i only had my lbm 3 weeks ago and had my appointment with the cab last thursday..they recomended a dro and this appointment came up really quick..less than a week, this morning i sat down and wrote out everything i need to take with me, they've only asked for my credit report and proof of my income but i want to be prepared in case they want anything else...ive downloaded my credit report, ive also printed out statements and balances of every thing i owe, ive even got my council tax letter to prove who i am lol, iv got proof of my income aswell...can anyone think of anything else i may need...thanks in advance.
  • Orville
    Options
    evening every-one, well its tomorrow that i see the dro adviser at the cab and i am absolutely sh.....ng myself...i think its just fear of the unknown...i only had my lbm 3 weeks ago and had my appointment with the cab last thursday..they recomended a dro and this appointment came up really quick..less than a week, this morning i sat down and wrote out everything i need to take with me, they've only asked for my credit report and proof of my income but i want to be prepared in case they want anything else...ive downloaded my credit report, ive also printed out statements and balances of every thing i owe, ive even got my council tax letter to prove who i am lol, iv got proof of my income aswell...can
    anyone think of anything else i may need...thanks in advance.

Do you have a car?. If so don't forget the valuation. You have upto date balances i take it.?

Dunno why you are s...ting yourself as there really is nothing to worry about. But maybe a change of underwear just in case?...lol
  • kerry2285
    kerry2285 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I too am going in for my appointment at the CAB for my DRO. I was sent this check list last week of things to bring in:
    Debts - Upto date list of ALL debts, creditors address and reference numbers
    Assets - If you have a car, make, model, mileage, overall condition. other assets resale value
    Income - Wages, benefits, pensions, maintenance etc
    Expenditure - All items of regular essential expenditure
    Other info - Tax refernce NI number

All the things you would expect really.

I am really nervous about this, its not something I really wanted to do but its got to a point where I either pay my creditors and loose my flat or pay for my rent and get help with these unsecured debts. I am also looking at changing jobs as I very recently found out my managers leaving and we wont have a replacement - I can see alot of problems arising very quickly!! I dont want to risk a pay rise and I have found a new job on about the same but its the pensions that get me as if I left my current job I would stop paying into it thus becoming an asset :-(
    Dont suppose anyone can shed any light on this, have you got a DRO and managed to change job within the first 12 months of your DRO? Although I will be asking these questions tomorrow...I def need to know if im going to be stuck in the same job for the next 12-18 months.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback