What rights do I have with my car?

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe the OP is hoping at least one of the threads will be in his favour?

That said, a definition of insanity is to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result. :)
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Although it can vary depending on make/model, I believe that variation is 65k-105k miles. So it shouldnt be due for at least another 30k miles.

OP, does the warranty cover the timing belt or are you going to be reliant on your statutory rights? Not that they're a bad thing, but if its covered by warranty, it might save a few headaches.

Your rights when buying a car (even second hand) aren't really different from buying anything else (save for 1 thing which i'll get to in a min). The "goods" should match their description and of satisfactory quality (with satisfactory quality being what a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory taking into account all relevant information). If the goods do not conform to contract (ie are "faulty" or misdescribed) at any point within the first 6 months, you only need to prove the goods don't conform to contract, the trader needs to prove the lack of conformity is not inherent (after 6 months, you also need to prove the lack of conformity is inherent). By inherent, they basically mean that you haven't caused it either by accidental/deliberate damage or natural wear & tear). In the first 30 days you can insist on a refund, after that you generally (with a few exceptions) need to give them the opportunity to repair (or replace if an option). If a the repair fails to bring the goods back within conformity of the contract, you can then insist on a refund - usually in the first 6 months it has to be a full refund but this is the one way motor vehicles differ from other goods, with motor vehicles....they can make a deduction to your refund to account for use you have had within the first 6 months also.

Thats a basic summary of your rights. If the mechanic is willing to put it in writing the timing belt is stretched, take it back to trader and tell them the goods do not conform to contract as a timing belt should last longer than 35k miles (and perhaps also reference what the owners manual says is the replacement interval to support your argument). If they still dont listen, put it in writing and title it either letter before claim or letter before action and give them 14 days to respond.

Alternatively, if you paid any of the purchase price (ie a deposit perhaps) via credit card, you should (providing total price of car was between £100 - £30,000 and its the price of the car that matters, not how much you paid on card) be able to make a section 75 claim against your credit card company also and if the card company refund, you can appeal to the financial ombudsman (neither of those options cost anything).

Come back and let us know how you get on please and good luck.

Basically the bit I didn't mention was that the car had supposed to have been serviced upon purchase, although the car hadn't been serviced properly since the year before, it still had the original spark plugs in, the engine was clogged up with leaves. It was a right mess. So that's a start to the car not being as described.

As for the warranty, the timing chain is included, but they're just reluctant to even look at it for me
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Maybe the OP is hoping at least one of the threads will be in his favour?

That said, a definition of insanity is to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result. :)

I very much recommend putting the OP on your ignore list as I have, if enough people do it then eventually there will be nobody left to respond to the many threads that he starts and hopefully he'll go away.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another thread ! if you ask the board guide here to send this over to the motoring board I'll start merging some of them .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I know I've paid for a membership but would they come out to a non-breakdown?
    You can pay them to do an inspection. Might be an idea to first get the dealer to agree to fix whatever the AA find wrong.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I see from the other threads that you are only 20 so have less life experience than the majority on here.

Read these articles and follow the advice therein:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/consumers/support-advice

Take advice from the professionals rather than constantly posting on here; forum members can only really give an opinion and not informed advice.
    :hello:
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Done! (moved the thread)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When I severely damaged my ankle while walking alone in the Dales, the breakdown van towed my vehicle and even helped me into the seat and helped me out. "Will you be able to get a friend to take you to hospital." What a first class chap.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    When I severely damaged my ankle while walking alone in the Dales, the breakdown van towed my vehicle and even helped me into the seat and helped me out. "Will you be able to get a friend to take you to hospital." What a first class chap.

What on earth has that got to do with the price of fish?
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's something I've noticed recently. I have a 2011 Vauxhall Corsa (despite other problems I've wrote threads about on here)

At first I was noticing as I'd change gears, I'll dip the clutch, change gear and as I've lifted up fairly fast, I've heard a grinding noise and then the gearstick has shifted back to neutral. I was starting to think that maybe this is just me not pushing/pulling them far enough into place. But then sometimes I've sat at traffic lights just playing with the gears and I'll notice that mostly first gear just doesn't click into place properly. I have to push it in, and give it a lot of force for it to actually go into place, the same went for fourth gear one time as well. It just feels like there's a blockage there, but if I was moving, then that's when it'll probably force back to neutral .

But if I turn my engine off and restart, the gears seem back to normal. It happened on a 60mph dual carriageway where I had to pull over to restart the engine otherwise I couldn't get into gear properly. I'll also note that this is a front wheel drive, and actually getting the car into reverse can cause a lot of grinding 70% of the time.

I'll state that this is mostly first gear, which I've also wrote about lack of power and a bit of a drag that comes and goes, when in first gear, could those be linked together?

I can perhaps understand a faulty gearbox and it'd be worth it getting looked at, but why does it seem to temporarily correct itself if I restart the engine? I'm just getting confused with this car completely..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure