Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PAYDAY!!! :j

Credit card balance: £133.88
    General savings: £800.00
    Christmas savings: £416.00
    Car savings: £330.00
    Food account: £250.00

I have £490 in my current account at the moment. This sounds like a lot, but £90 will be going on getting the boiler services next week and we're off up North next weekend so will need at least one tank of petrol (BAH!)

Today I plan to spend under £2 at work, but I can't guarantee I'll manage. We don't have access to boiling water, only what is optimistically referred to as "hot", so have to pay 30p per cup of hot water from Starbucks. I have brought in teabags and milk though, so am saving money in the long run as previously I was spending at least £3-4 per day on hot drinks.

Happy weekend to all :D
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    mooomin wrote: »
    PAYDAY!!! :j
    Woo hoo! :D
    Today I plan to spend under £2 at work, but I can't guarantee I'll manage. We don't have access to boiling water, only what is optimistically referred to as "hot", so have to pay 30p per cup of hot water from Starbucks. I have brought in teabags and milk though, so am saving money in the long run as previously I was spending at least £3-4 per day on hot drinks.

You don't have a Thermos flask, do you? If all you need is hot water, could you bring some in that? It might not keep the water piping hot the entire day, but I bet it would do at least most of it, reducing your spends in the process.

Just a thought. :)

And the rest of your budget seems pretty well considered. Well done! :T
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have a Thermos flask, do you? If all you need is hot water, could you bring some in that? It might not keep the water piping hot the entire day, but I bet it would do at least most of it, reducing your spends in the process.
    I could, but I know I won't ;)

I work in an office where everyone buys their tea/coffee from Starbucks and so it's odd that I even bring my own teabags & milk. It's too much hassle to bring a flask.

I'm working at home on Monday so will be making my own tea!
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    I could, but I know I won't ;)

I work in an office where everyone buys their tea/coffee from Starbucks and so it's odd that I even bring my own teabags & milk. It's too much hassle to bring a flask.

I'm working at home on Monday so will be making my own tea!

Ah, fair enough. That social pressure is not good for out pockets, though, is it?! ;)

Enjoy the rest of your working day. :)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello Moo.

Planning on being there in a fortnight.

Prepare to be interrogated on
    • Movies (including when do you fancy going again?)
    • New job
    • Uni

I'm so happy everything seems to be coming right for you. Richly deserved.

KJ
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • HOK3Y
    HOK3Y Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I love this thread because I think a lot of us can relate! And it's so darn easy to end up in trouble quickly! The habit of disappearing and spending is a good example of all or nothing thinking.......I know a lot about this as I suffer the same! I either put all of myself into something (and typically accomplish amazing things in the process) or I withdraw completely. I can drop something I have been previously obsessed with like it's a hot rock! So I can see how you would suddenly vanish from here when you start to spend and I know that's a really hard habit to break. At least you are aware of it and that is a good thing because you can guard against it. Best of luck! X
    Credit Card Freedom gained 14 Feb 2014!!
    Total Debt Freedom gained 29 Apr 2014!!
    Savings goal 30/9/23: £72,000/£538,001.....yes I'm serious!
    Total Debt August 2013: [STRIKE]$21,587[/STRIKE] April 2014: $0!!!!:j
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    Hey moomin!

Just a quick post... as I've just found your new diary! I was doing so well in August last year, got down to £900 debt. I'm ashamed to admit it's gotten a little out of hand since then and I've also neglected MSE rather a lot.

Welcome back though and happy shiny new diary :)
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • Lurker1972
    Options
    Yippeeeee, Moomin is back

You were my original inspiration.....hopefully your new diary and budgeteerring quests will be the metaphorical kick up the butt that I so desperately need :o
    I do not make mistakes, I learn lessons.
    I work to live, not live to work.
    I love to live & live to love.
    Good enough is exactly that.
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Options
    HOK3Y wrote: »
    At least you are aware of it and that is a good thing because you can guard against it. Best of luck!

Thank you! I just need to be a little bit more accountable which is why I've come back to the welcoming arms of MSE ;)
    I've also neglected MSE rather a lot.

Welcome back though and happy shiny new diary :)

Thank you love! You should come back too - all the old 'uns returning to confess their sins :D
    Lurker1972 wrote: »
    You were my original inspiration.....hopefully your new diary and budgeteerring quests will be the metaphorical kick up the butt that I so desperately need :o

Hi Lurker ♥ It's lovely to "see" you again :D
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary:T I've missed your posts so glad you're back!
    kissjenn wrote: »
    Prepare to be interrogated on
    • Movies (including when do you fancy going again?)
    • New job
    • Uni

Ohhhhh this coffee catch up is sounding better by the minute!:D

See you soon xx
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure