PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• laurajane6486
    Options
    Been into my new house for the first time today and love it! It's a two bedroom semi so nothing exciting for most people but just the fact that it'll soon be mine makes me giddy with excitement and pride!

Love the plot; set back about 2 1/2 to 3 car lengths from the road, back garden about 6m by 12m, not overlooked. Inside they were finishing plastering today. Next week roof should be tiled and inside painted, then the following week bathroom and kitchen should be fitted.

Still on target to complete end of October and I'm going back in two weeks time (7the October) for another nosey.

Exciting times!!
  • swishy87
    Options
    Been into my new house for the first time today and love it! It's a two bedroom semi so nothing exciting for most people but just the fact that it'll soon be mine makes me giddy with excitement and pride!

Love the plot; set back about 2 1/2 to 3 car lengths from the road, back garden about 6m by 12m, not overlooked. Inside they were finishing plastering today. Next week roof should be tiled and inside painted, then the following week bathroom and kitchen should be fitted.

Still on target to complete end of October and I'm going back in two weeks time (7the October) for another nosey.

Exciting times!!

Very exciting! So you should be proud!

We are end of October too - 28th. There's not much more we can do at the moment so just packing really! That's why I have been quiet with updates. Although I have arrange a removal company, who are bringing me some boxes next week, arranged home insurance ready for our carpets going in in a few weeks and sorted life insurance. Also, I found out more about the Virgin Media package we can have, so will be going for that too.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Spoke to my solicitor yesterday and the builders have given an estimated date of 11/11/16 for the CML to be signed off by which we'd then be given 10 working days to complete.

Hopefully be in to sign the contracts next week! Shouldn't be too long before we're in!
  • mleach101
    Options

Exciting times!!

It's a great feeling and it only gets better! I've still not moved in since completing at the end of July as I've only just got back into the country. My stuff is all in and needs putting away and today was the first Ikea run.

Spent the afternoon building PAX wardrobes and now that furniture is starting to go in and the flooring is all down, despite the fact it's a tip it actually starts to feel like a house. Also met the neighbours for the first time yesterday and really looking forward to moving in. Tuesday will probably be night one!
  • laurajane6486
    Options
    mleach101 wrote: »
    It's a great feeling and it only gets better! I've still not moved in since completing at the end of July as I've only just got back into the country. My stuff is all in and needs putting away and today was the first Ikea run.

Spent the afternoon building PAX wardrobes and now that furniture is starting to go in and the flooring is all down, despite the fact it's a tip it actually starts to feel like a house. Also met the neighbours for the first time yesterday and really looking forward to moving in. Tuesday will probably be night one!

How did you find assembling the PAX? I'm getting some for my bedroom.

Hope you enjoy your first night there tomorrow!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How did you find assembling the PAX? I'm getting some for my bedroom.

Hope you enjoy your first night there tomorrow!

Easy as pie to setup - just research ceiling heights to know which size you will get to clear the ceiling when building.

Oh that and the shells weight 30-40kg a box - get friends :)
  • mleach101
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    Easy as pie to setup - just research ceiling heights to know which size you will get to clear the ceiling when building.

Oh that and the shells weight 30-40kg a box - get friends :)

That's basically my experience. The other thing to bear in mind is that the boxes are big! Too big for an estate or 4x4 so either get them delivered or hire a van. I've only had time to build the shells. Tomorrows job is fixing them together and hanging the doors.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2016 at 4:02AM
    Options
    I had PAX for my first house years ago. They look good, they're relatively cheap, BUT if you plan on ever moving again, be ready to write them off, as they don't take apart and put together a second time very well. They're a bit of a one-shot wonder. Also, if you have drawers/baskets inside, I found the runners tend to go faster than expected. You need plenty of room and at least 2 people to put them together, or pay Ikea a little extra to do it for you (well, I think Ikea's own service is relatively expensive, there are other companies out there that will do it for less.)

I had my furniture put together with this house and it was well worth the little extra. Took the team 6/7 hours to put together what would have taken me well over a week. One week of hard graft and I'm pretty much done now. Done some painting, added some furniture which I have put together myself, rugs, trinkets, etc.

Just waiting for the tiler to come back from holiday to do the snagging in my bathrooms now, they've started sorting other snagging issues and seem keen to take care of all of it... Ended up with around 100 items on my final snagging list, so they have enough to do for a while.
  • Jon_B_2
    Options
    I'd rather have the £10k off the house as £10k of extras won't equal £10k at real world prices. Yet you will be paying interest on that additional £10k on your house through your mortgage.
  • Arlo
    Arlo Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I never though of that cheers Jon B, husband is home Thursday so we will have to think of a plan then lol, fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure