Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gas/electric deal coming to an end next month so I've switched to scottish power... pretty good deal plus I get £70 cash back.

received £24 from flebay sales, OP'd off the mortgage.

Will just log my OP and update my signature for August at the end of the month.....

Just about all of the items on the bay have got bids on them and a fair few watchers, so will look forward to making another small OP once the auction has ended next week and I start to receive the payments.

Every little helps!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    I'm really getting in to the whole decluttering thing... I now have 40 items listed on fleabay..... and a huge bin bag full of stuff that needs to be photographed and listed...

I've decided to start to go through the loft - I then have 4 piles; rubbish (recycling bin at Mr T), charity, fleabay, use again ourselves...

Anything that doesn't sell on fleabay will be sent to the charity shop.

We've just done a few bags of stuff so far but it's amazing what can be found.

I've decided that this de cluttering is going to be good for the mind.... it also serves the purpose of realising how much "stuff" has been bought over the years and then just cast aside..... perhaps it will help to make us think about buying more "stuff" in the future........

Plus, if a few £'s can be made in the process then thats brilliant. This will of course be used for an OP rather than funding more "stuff"!

My home office is looking a bit worse for ware with all of this stuff everywhere, but these 2 weeks that I'm off work are the perfect time to indulge with such a task.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When Mr Tilly and I started to clear stuff, I felt quite bad abut the amount of stuff we had.

Feel much better now :).

Good luck, Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    All if the items listed last week on flebay have sold today... And I got more than I dreamed to imagine.... Will wait until all of the items have been posted in order to work out how much I made and how much can then be sent as an OP to the mortgage.....

Have listed another batch of stuff and have more in a pile waiting.... My office is a mess. When this lot is all out of the way, it will be back to the loft for more stuff..... I'm actually really enjoying the decluttering especially getting some £'s for it.

We had a lovely day out to a raptor centre yesterday... We got to see all sorts of owls, buzzards, eagles etc and watched a flying demonstration....we also got to see various snakes, lizard and such like and a family of Meir cats that had just had babies.....

We used tesco vouchers and took a pack up with us, so we managed to just spend £3 all day and the children really enjoyed it.

Today we have been to a local park...... We have an annual parking permit, so no cost there..... Took a BBQ for lunch for which we had to spend £4 as didn't have everything we needed... Used tesco vouchers to buy ride tickets and enjoyed a rowing boat on the lake and a trip on the train. So, just £4 spent on lunch. Again, the children had a wonderful time, infant we all did.

Not sure what our plans will be tomorrow, but we're focusing on low cost things.... So far we've had better family time doing the low cost things ... Our London trip last week was expensive, enhausting and actually quite stressful.

Food spending has been really good the last few weeks and a vast improvement. I spent £5 in Mr A today n some bits and pieces and we now have dinners planned for the next few nights.

I talked to DS1 today about mortgages and why we need to be sensible with money... He's only 8 but seemed to grasp what we are trying to achieve. He understands that we want to be mortgage free in 4 years and not have to pay the bank any more money! He's super excited about all of the things he can buy in 4 years time!! He also really liked the idea that it means the house will be ours and no one can ever take it from us. Maybe he's too young, but I think it's good to get him on board and star teaching him some kind of understanding of how the big wide world works.
  • lulabelle1 wrote: »
    I talked to DS1 today about mortgages and why we need to be sensible with money... He's only 8 but seemed to grasp what we are trying to achieve. He understands that we want to be mortgage free in 4 years and not have to pay the bank any more money! He's super excited about all of the things he can buy in 4 years time!! He also really liked the idea that it means the house will be ours and no one can ever take it from us. Maybe he's too young, but I think it's good to get him on board and star teaching him some kind of understanding of how the big wide world works.

Never too young to start. I learnt so much about money, insurance, bank accounts and interest rates from my parents and it stood me in good stead for my uni years and beyond.
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    A very quiet rainy day today.... a nice break from days out.

Posted some of the eBay stuff - waiting for the this batch to pay and then I'll transfer the money out of fleabay and make a small OP with the proceeds.

A little bit of food shopping to take us through until Sunday and then we are away on Monday for 5 days.

Looking round my office and I just have piles of stuff:
    -still to be photographed and listed
    -listed but no bids
    -listed with bids - so will definitely sell
    -wrapped and waiting for payment so they can be posted

It's like a small production line.

I might try and get the small pile photographed and listed later once the children have gone to bed. That will do me until after the holiday and then I'll be back in the loft to grab some more stuff to either chuck, send to charity, fleabay or start using again....
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Dh and I keep discussing whether to do a loft conversion..... We have a 4 bed detached, not a huge one just what I'd consider fairly normal.....

We'd have plenty of space if it wasnt for the fact that I work from home. This means that the 4th bedroom is my office.

It all works fairly well until we have people stay - my family live miles away so need to spend a night or two when they visit. We have to move beds around etc which is a pain.....

I love the idea of converting the loft to 2 double bedrooms with a jack and jill ensuite for the boys to use. We would then make a few changes to the first floor resulting in a larger bedroom/ensuite for ourselves, a good size spare bedroom for guests and a slightly bigger office for myself....

BUT - is it worth spending around £35k to do this. We've been debating it for about year and I'm sure the debate will continue for the foreseeable..... it would mean using all of the OP's to date and I just don't think that I can bring myself to do it.

Oh well, we shall continue to dream for the time being.
  • lulabelle1
    edited 17 August 2012 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Went for a lovely family bike ride today, followed by a play at a country park and then a picnic lunch..... Spent just £3.75 all day....

We've been out 3 out of 4 days so far this week and have spent less that a total of £10, this is amazing for us and I would never have imagined it possible.

We're being really good this week so that we can have a few treats when we have our holiday next week.

Spent some time wrapping all of the items on eBay that have bids and labelling them up so they are ready to go once the auction ends and I've had the payment.

I almost had a crisis tonight and bought another handbag but DH stepped in, told me off and saved the day. Phew....

I have a problem with handbags for anyone who hasn't read my diary.... Before my MFW days I spent too much money on them and whilst I've whittled my collection right down, it's still a weakness for me. However, if I want to achieve our mf goal, I can't buy anymore....... Every now and then I'm stupid and get tempted but thankfully this time DH told me off. I had a chat with him a while back and said under no circumstances am I allowed to buy any more and that I needed him to be really tough with me. Anyway he was, and even when I suggested I could get it now and put it away for Christmas, he wasn't having any of it. Thank goodness.

So, back on the straight and narrow......

The weather looks wonderful for the next few days, I hope everyone manages to get some quality time in the sunshine..
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Back from a lovely few days away. A couple of indulgences but nothing too serious.

eBay items are selling well, more items listed this afternoon. Couple of small OP's thanks to eBay proceeds.
  • Mortgage_Reduction_Novice
    Options
    Well done on the ebay front. I'm sold up... nothing left to sell and completely decluttered. It's actually a bit of an anticlimax but I've ventured in to a few alternative sources of income as well as going back to my old fave (mystery shopping and auditing).
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure