Real-life MMD: My pregnant bridesmaid needs a new dress - who pays?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 29 November 2013 at 10:01PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: My pregnant bridesmaid needs a new dress - who pays?

I'm getting married in March, and have just found out one of my bridesmaids is pregnant. She's obviously not going to fit into the dress she has, so she's told me she'll need a new one. I know I'm going to get judged for saying it, but I feel like she should be the one that pays for it. Is it fair that I ask her to or is it my responsibility as the bride to pay for it?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you're a bride and looking for help to save money on costs chat with other brides on our Weddings board and read our 50 Cheap Wedding Tips guide.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• macaroni
    Options
    Get a new bridesmaid....make this one into a maid of honour
    :hello:
  • dreamteamgirl
    Options
    Sorry but it is down to you IMO
    Can you sell old one towards it?
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting that you don't say "but I can't afford to replace it" as is so often the case in these Dilemmas. So is it the case that you could replace it, just don't think you should? She didn't get pregnant just to cause you some minor wedding-based stress. If you were happy to buy her the first dress, buy her one again (can't you return the first?). You asked her to be your bridesmaid, presumably, and not the other way round, so I don't see why she should pay - especially if the others aren't paying for their dresses either.
  • looneytunes87
    Options
    Hi,
    I think if your close enough to have this person as your bridesmaid then she should be fine to chat 2 and express if your hard up and really can't afford to purchase a replacement.If it's more that you feel put out maybe think how you would feel if you were in her shoes?
    Whatever happens good luck and congratulations x
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    So you think some poor guy should go without just because the girl is made a bridesmaid?
    Anyway, if you can afford it, be nice.
    If she can afford it, let her.
    You need to talk.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    There is a bridezilla thread on the weddings forum.
    Do you want a six month pregnant bridesmaid ...could the dress be altered ....does she even still want to be bridesmaid ? Have you talked to her about how you can't afford a new dress? Hopefully you managed to congratulate her before thinking about your wedding arrangements....If you didn't you may not have a problem anyway.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Don't think there's a perfect answer here. How about going halves on the cost of alteration / replacement?
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    Cough up, you're getting married on the basis of "in sickness and in health". That goes for your bridesmaids too. Be happy for her.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just think how thin you're going to look standing next to her :) That should ease the pain of buying her another dress.
  • Jsmithy_2
    Options
    What are you all on about? The bridesmaid should definitely pay for the dress! The bride has already bought her one dress, if this no longer fits, for whatever reason then it's up to the bridesmaid to fix it. What if another porky bridesmaid decided to go on a crash diet and lost a few stone? New dress again? No. Besides, if you can't afford a new dress because you got pregnant then you really shouldn't be having a baby!! Clearly some very silly people commenting on here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure