Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage

Options

Comments

• Baldybear
    Baldybear Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning :)

Checked my freezer last night and did a brief meal plan using bits up, I have planned up to 28 October and would still have a couple of meals left, so thats the plan to stick to this, would need to buy fresh bits but hopefully can really eek the budget out there.

Filled up car last night £55 but thats under budget so hopefully thats it for the month. Also cleared some more poo, definitely a few wheelbarrows a week will keep it clear :)
  • Baldybear
    Options

New bedding I ordered a few weeks ago, not cheap £45 for a king size set, of one of the discounted designer sales but pleased with quality and slept in it well last night, have had lots of issues with duvet getting rucked up in the covers and this didnt do this, now have 3 sets (although 2 getting old now) for my bed so super pleased as been looking for months. All paid off so good.

Having a quick review of my savings accounts and most the interest is pitiful so have just opened a new account today.

So review:
    Misc emergency - £100/month - 1.5%
    ISA - £100/month - 0.01% - main emergency
    Also have 6 other accounts paying a measly 0.01%, one is rental so ignore this, but others pay a total of £400/month for various, house, horse, hols etc.

So today have opened an account for 2.25% - up to Oct 2017, can pay max £250 a month. So have re-jigged the accounts and although will still carry on paying into each payments will be halved so can pay £200 a month into new account. So still saving the same amount each month but should get better rates and targets will still be met.

Small spend today of £2.25 on some porridge for work (20 days worth) and bread roll, out of loose change already had :)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the idea of different accounts for different things but we have to go slowly here as Mr Watty does not cope!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Baldybear
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I like the idea of different accounts for different things but we have to go slowly here as Mr Watty does not cope!

Luckily there is just me so much easier, also makes it easier to see in black and white exactly what is budgeted for and where :)
  • Baldybear
    Options
    Good Morning :)

So friday went into town at lunchtime and spent a few pennies and bought a couple of tops and some shoes and small top up grocery shop.

Saturday went out for the day with friend, went into London, took advantage of EH membership and visited a few properties so effectively free, paid for train, friend paid for lunch, I paid for coffee/cake later. Came home early evening popped to drop dads paper off and ended up going with sister to the cinema, saw Bridget Jones Baby, very funny :)

Sunday didnt spent a penny, spent some time with hoss, cut grass, tidied garden, took down beans and harvested last of said beans and carrots. Prepped those and a lovely box of carrots in the freezer and more beans (have so many, been very productive). Have also a massive stash of bean seeds for next year so no spends there.

So financial implications are:-
    £81 on CC, there was £19 odd spare in bills account so paid that, £62 left to find.
    Owe friend £7 plus previous £10 plus tickets for gig in May next year £67, not desperate to pay but will try and pay out of fun fund in next week or so.
    Owe sister £9 for cinema ticket.

Money came in today £11 so sent to rental fund shortfall, that is now £141 so £209 to find there.

So £209 plus £62 to find.

Due in:-
    £20 survey site
    £11 survey site
    £21 B Gas credit refund
    Total £51 so this can go straight of the card. So just need to find that elusive £10 and then back to the rental shortfall.

Generally pleased with how budgeting is going, few missives but ok.

Job wise looks like definitely going to be gone, maybe even this week, part of me hopes its friday as getting bored with it all now and have things could do at home and out and about and feels bit of a waste of time being here, but hey ho, watch this space.

Sister had some hassle with dad at the weekend, just minor but issues to continence issues and her seemingly to be washing constantly, so have ordered some new bedding which is meant to be waterproof so he has some extra sets, has plenty so far of underwear protection. Hopefully this will help. Paid £70 on card but dad will refund me so not counted on calculations above. She seemed ok last night so thats good. Just waiting call back from mental health community nurse to make follow up appointment and that will be good. Trying to be pro-active otherwise its just hard and mind whizzes with a million and one things and keeps me awake :(
  • Baldybear
    Options

Details of new account have arrived so have set up standing order for savings to make most of interest rate, all other standing orders have been amended to, still keeping to save £600 a month over various accounts, but now at the best interest rates I can for now.

Small spend of £2 yesterday, luckily exact change I had in my purse, was the tea money needed for dad when dropped him of at his choir.

Spoke to dad and sister briefly yesterday and the redundancy pay could take 3 to 6 weeks to pay out so dad has said he would lend me the money to cover bills etc in the meantime and will pay back when my money lands, is a bit of relief and definitely helps :) Am very blessed and fortunate to be in this position.
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hope everything is ok with your Dad and also work wise. You haven't been posting for a while x
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Baldybear
    edited 9 November 2016 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Good afternoon world! :D

Long time no see diary but life has just drawn me away and need to come back to focus.

So I creep back in with lots of new debt but also a plan going forward.

So I was made redundant 3 weeks ago as company went into voluntary liquidation, sad to go but I needed the break. It is just under a year since mum died (this saturday coming is the anniversary) and this last year have had so many ups and downs with it all, its good to be able to have some time to sit and re-cap.

So I promised myself a foreign holiday this year, have splashed out more than I had saved but I dont regret any penny of it. I am off to Mexico next friday for 10 days, all inclusive hotel, already booked and paid for a couple of excursions, got my spending money so shouldnt need to spend any extras whilst I am there. I am going by myself which is a bit :eek: and :D at the same time, hence the all inclusive as can sit back and relax and not have to worry about venturing out to much by myself. Nervous but cant wait!

So whilst I have been off havent been sitting around, fat chance, been taxi service to dad to day centre which he attends twice a week, he has settled in and enjoying it, still taxiing him to choir another day a week, been to doctors, podatrist, chased prescriptions, sorted out some lunches so most things up to date and been good to be around.

Have also been spending some much needed time with the hoss, nice to have the days to ride now we are into the winter. Also been sorting the house a bit, oh and looking after nephew a couple of days over half term.

So I had to apply for redundancy pay from government and that was paid yesterday. Should get notice pay but not due till mid january. Also applied and received JSA which is nice to have a few extra pennies. Appointment tomorrow and next week, and then see what happens when I get back from hols. Although the money is nice you are made to feel like an idiot and they so look down their nose at you for being unemployed :mad: as if I am some layabout. I was in my last job for a few months shy of 13 years, grrr just makes me angry. Will wait and see.

With my redundancy pay, and also my company paid me up to the day I was made redundant I am ok for a few months. My salary paid am using last few pennies now. Transferred money from redundancy to account to cover bills up to end Dec and then have put rest in savings accounts to earn a few pence interest and then wait and see.

So apart from the holiday spend £3.3k :eek: plus £200 spending money, and £200 excursions. So had enough in holiday fund to cover spending money, excursions and about £500 spare. Rest on CC. I have also been very spendy happy and spent £200 on clothes for hols including 2 pairs of trainers which were very much a need not want going forward, £150 on swimwear, £90 on 2 rugs for the hoss as she had outgrown some. £90 on a hotel stay for when I get back as having a belated company do, £172 on meal out with family, £170 on hoss food, £135 on fireworks, £8 on travel plug, £60 on day out in london with sister, £32 on new clipper blades for the hoss, £120 on massive top up shop plus some extras and you can see it has all added up :eek:

I dont regret spending any of the above pennies.

So I put this all on a CC but was being charged interest so I applied for and was accepted for a 0% balance transfer card for 40 months.

So as of today my debts stand at:-
    New CC - £3762
    CC 1 - £209

I have about 9K in savings over various accounts so more than enough to cover the cards. I am going to pay of CC1 asap and then leave the other one to pay the payment needed to pay this off before the 0% offer ends, quicker if I get a job, and earn some interest on my savings in the meantime.

I am due around £263 from various sources including next weeks JSA, quidco, survey money etc so can easily clear the CC1. Then will put rest away to earn the interest.

Someone is due around this evening to buy my old hoover but that will cover the transport cost from the airport (bro in law taking me).

I think job wise I wont look properly until next year, I did have an interview last week but doubtful got it, as will be in a better frame of mind to start afresh.

This saturday as its the anniversary of mums death we are having a few friends round for a get together and fireworks (hence the spend above). Last year when she was in the hospice we watched the fireworks so this is a celebration for her. Sis is doing food.
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How was the holiday BB? Are you back yet?
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hey BB, my goodness you deserve a holiday to the wonderful Mehico (say it as I spelt it!haha). We went three years ago and it was AMAZING!

You have had such a rough year, but your diary is so positive, inspirational! My mum broke her own horse from a foal many years ago, I have never met a more clever, naughty, stubborn and beautiful horse, she hated me and most others but loved my mum! You are doing so well with her!

Sounds like a beautiful way to remember and celebrate your mum, such a lovely idea. Dementia is a bloody awful condition and you are allowed to have all sorts of thoughts that aren't how you would normally think, but Dementia causes symptoms and problems which are so out of the ordanairy. Pleased the memory clinic is working well for your dad.

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure