Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• mannie
    mannie Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    we need car hire for southern ireland for a few days in august, any ideas on the best company to use
  • khendrie
    khendrie Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

regarding the expensive child seats - you know you can get inflatable child seats for about 40 quid so you dont have to hire from the car company. Search google, you'll find loads.

Hope that helps

Cheers

karl
  • loobs40
    loobs40 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 July 2013 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Hired a car last week from Alamo for 4 days using Eurocar in Gerona railway station. I prepaid £90 online and then paid some extra state tax at the desk. No hard sell on extra insurance to cover Cdw excess and fuel policy was full/ full.

After all the scare stories I had heard about car rental companies, this was a very easy and painless transaction
  • where.do.i.stand
    Options
    And if anyone in the mean time would like an idea of price for van or car hire in the UK, post up dates and size needed and I will answer you with a price :D
  • stuart_c
    stuart_c Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello All,

Apologies if the following has been touched on before; but has anyone reading found a particular model of vehicle to be particularly fuel efficient and, if so, did they do any calculations of the MPG returned?

I'm mainly looking at the 'economy' class of vehicle, which is actually one up from the smallest and generally comprises vehicles such as the 'Corsa'.
    I will be hiring within the UK and embarking on a 350 mile round trip, (mainly via motorway, I believe).

Thanks in advance.
  • where.do.i.stand
    Options
    Hi,

That's quite hard to say, as you may book economy eg corsa, but they all state or similar and could be petrol or diesel, however saying that I think if its motorway miles and you drive sensible, you should be achieving the late 40's
  • stuart_c
    stuart_c Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

That's quite hard to say, as you may book economy eg corsa, but they all state or similar and could be petrol or diesel, however saying that I think if its motorway miles and you drive sensible, you should be achieving the late 40's

I know the manufacturer's quotes are often nigh on impossible to achieve; but I take it that figure is from your own personal experience?
  • where.do.i.stand
    Options
    That figure is from personal yes, but also seeing what customer achieved when I use to work at rental stations
  • pwl
    pwl Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do Hertz want a grand for a compact estate from alicante for 2 weeks in august when others are quoting 300+?
  • where.do.i.stand
    Options
    wow that's high!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family