Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• Mac83uk
    Options
    Hello

I am travelling to Orlando next month and have taken Thomson's free car hire, they are trying to charge me £400 for insurance. I have declined and taken their free basic liability cover and I'm going to take out excess insurance online. Will this be enough to cover me? please help I'm baffled.
  • babss
    babss Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello
    we are trying to hire a car from stansted airport can anybody recommend a hire company that will let my husband (as he will be the driver) hire a car using a debit maestro card as he dosent have a credit card or a debit visa, although I do have one but I dont want to be the main driver , we are flying to stansted around the 15th aug.
    thanks in advance for any help
    babss
  • Bullen90
    Bullen90 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I'm looking to hire a car for 1 day in the uk. I'm 23. I haven't yet found anything cheaper than £50 - as all the sites I've looked at so far have a surcharge for under 25 year olds.

Anyone know of a company who don't charge anywhere near as much as £25 a day for u25s? Seems rather excessive.

Many thanks!
  • m5rcc
    m5rcc Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    babss wrote: »
    Hello
    we are trying to hire a car from stansted airport can anybody recommend a hire company that will let my husband (as he will be the driver) hire a car using a debit maestro card as he dosent have a credit card or a debit visa, although I do have one but I dont want to be the main driver , we are flying to stansted around the 15th aug.
    thanks in advance for any help
    babss

Shouldn't stop you buying on your card but let him drive
  • m5rcc
    Options
    Mac83uk wrote: »
    Hello

I am travelling to Orlando next month and have taken Thomson's free car hire, they are trying to charge me £400 for insurance. I have declined and taken their free basic liability cover and I'm going to take out excess insurance online. Will this be enough to cover me? please help I'm baffled.

Just get a seperate policy elsewhere.

Insurance4Carhire via TopCashback gives you worldwide insurance for £37.50 for an annual policy
  • m5rcc
    Options
    pwl wrote: »
    Why do Hertz want a grand for a compact estate from alicante for 2 weeks in august when others are quoting 300+?

Cos they're rip-off merchants who need to satisfy shareholders.
  • niftythrifty1
    Options
    Most of the posts here seem to be with the bigger companies who dont get reviewed nor rated to see who are the legitimate low prices and who are the the ones dangling a carrot with a low price then charging for "extras"!! i compare car hire at www.hirecomparison.com
    their i can write a review and score the company and it mainly deals with all the small local firms you find on yell.com but saves you having to ring round. down side is its not got all the uk covered but if you live in a built up area you will get a quick price comparison for the small hire companies check it out.
    :money:
  • eleden
    eleden Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    just booked car excess insurance for a 12 month period in europe multi trips for £33.17 through MSE comparison

massive saving, don't book at airport when you collect a car book before
  • travel_smart
    Options
    I travel to the USA regularly and have found in almost every case in the last 4 years that booking advanced prepaid car hire through BA as an Executive club member is cheaper than booking direct with AVIS web site. In addition as a club member you get the 2nd driver free if both are Executive club members. This saving can save $84 plus taxes over two weeks.
  • holidaymkr
    Options
    Ok folks first things first. I haven't used this site for a while and couldn't access my old username/password so set up a new username. I had posted this recommendation into the site but probably didn't find the right area. I've just checked the post and it's had two responses both accusing me of a Spam post. At the end of the day I use this car firm 6 times a year. The people who are rude and cynical probably don't even want to hire a car but just sit and criticise. Read the post, and if you're interested in car hire in Austria/Europe give them a try. If you don't then that's fine, but don't just moan about stuff that's on here. At the end of the day everybody has to make their first post and on this username it's mine! Ok, moan over here's the post............
    Having visited Austria up to 6 times a year for more than 10 years I've been lucky enough to have found probably the most economical and 'extras free' car hire firm. They have offices all round Europe but I can only comment on my experience at Klagenfurt and Salzburg which I've selfishly kept to myself :rotfl:
    They are Weekautos.co.uk (formerly Weekrent). So I feel it's time to 'fess' up and share the love, so other Money savers can get the benefit & bargains. So why do I use them ?, budget cars, excellent week rental fee (hence the name) free second driver, lots of inclusives that are extra elsewhere,fuss free booking online & at the desk, no "sorry but we've found a scratch-here's a £1000 bill" ! & I often get an email with a summer deal. They have a wide range of cars but we invariably use the smallest ie Daewoo Matiz, Dacia Logan, but it gets us up and down the mountains no problem at all. They do have 4x4's also the more upmarket cars and this Summer we're going to rent a Minibus for the first time for an extended family trip. Apologies for keeping it a secret so long but I feel better getting it off my chest :T Over to those interested in car hire.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback