Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• rogerW_2
    Options
    just booked a rental, excellent price but when voucher was rec'd it was for a off site collect and deliver, website had a modify booking option so when for a on site rental, paid extra 6.83 but new confirmation shows old rental firm, can't seem to find anything on doyouspain web pages - any help out there, email or phone number
  • Be-aware007
    Options
    I use rentalcars.com to book a car today but when I got the email, I had never heard of the supplier. So you could get to the airport and if no one turned up to meet you, where would you go? Who would you call? Decided to cancel and pay more for peace of mind. Going direct to a big name on the airport. When they say they use 6 companies, note that you will not have heard of one of them and that is the one you get! Clever really. Could have been alright though.
  • qbazdz
    qbazdz Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm going away for 10 days to Sardinia in Sept and I was checking some prices for a Compact type of car (there is 4 of us adults going) and I get approx 340 quid prices.
    Auto-Europe comes up as almost the cheapest and they say the car will come from Thrifty.

When I did the search with them, the rental came to just a bit more, but at the same time included optional THEFT PROTN COV (7,00 € per day), which I assume is something I would be covered by my excess cover insurance?
    In which case it becomes cheaper to go directly, but I cannot remove this option before making the booking.

Anyone tried this route?
    How is Thrifty overall?

Any local recommendations for rental? I need to collect and drop off at Olbia Airport.

Thanks!
  • emmy-lou12
    Options
    Hello
    I'm travelling to Cyprus in October and want to hire a car from Paphos Airport (something like a Ford Focus or similar, big enough for 4 people). I'm struggling to find a reputable company that doesn't charge through the earth and has a full/full fuel policy.
    Most companies want you to return the tank as empty as possible and pay for a full tank, even if you don't use it all.
    I don't think we will use a full tank so don't want to get caught out and end up spending a fortune on fuel we're not going to use.
    Any help would be appreciated!
  • Sandboy_2
    Options
    I use rentalcars.com to book a car today but when I got the email, I had never heard of the supplier. So you could get to the airport and if no one turned up to meet you, where would you go? Who would you call? Decided to cancel and pay more for peace of mind. Going direct to a big name on the airport. When they say they use 6 companies, note that you will not have heard of one of them and that is the one you get! Clever really. Could have been alright though.

wise move, booked a car in Croatia with Atlas Choice and nobody there to meet and greet, no sign of an office where all the others were. Asked around and found a bloke hiding in another companies office... "there's a problem, we have no cars" cost me £800 to hire on the spot. Just beginning the process of claiming it back now, I'm sure it will be a smooth and painless process ;)
  • burnleyjohn
    Options
    Gail2008 wrote: »
    We recently hired in Ibiza for 4 days - collect full return full. We used CENTAURO SPAIN via Holiday Autos.

Gail

where are you hiring from?
  • Mxty
    Mxty Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I just always use http://indigocarhire.co.uk/ there the cheapest and I trust them to get me the best price possible as well as being worldwide
  • travelgeeks
    Options
    Hi,

I used travelauto for booking a car. I liked the portal very much. I was able to book the car easily. All the information related to cost, vehicle, location, service providers companies are available for comparison.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I used

Liar. Your SPAM has been reported.
  • iglimpse
    Options
    For those who don't know already, at all costs avoid GOLDCAR car hire. Booked with them a few months ago in Spain, waited in a queue for 2 hrs to collect the car. Never again.

Our fault, we should have done our homework.

Oh and they also sting you for insurance, you have no option. You have to pay it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback