Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• MoodyGit
    Options
    I've been looking at the hire car excess insurance on moneymaxim...
    Why are they all companies I have never heard of?
    How come none of the 'big name' companies offer this type of cover?

Thanks
    M
  • niftythrifty1
    niftythrifty1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2013 at 10:58PM
    Options
    i find the smaller companies easy to work with and mostly i find Bigger Companies are fined tuned to rob you when it comes to insurance like CDW etc (which is where lots of big companies make there money).

They dangle a carrot with low prices then make their money on insurance and add on extras once they have you through the door.

my mate said i should try Hire Comparison out , they seem to compare the mostly smaller companies and saved me ringing round yell.com

MoodyGit wrote: »
    I've been looking at the hire car excess insurance on moneymaxim...
    Why are they all companies I have never heard of?
    How come none of the 'big name' companies offer this type of cover?

Thanks
    M
  • Annamac1
    Options
    I followed the Money Savings Expert guide to hire a car at Dublin airport. Using the price comparison website Kayak, I found E-Z rent a car the best option, quoting $6 for the two days. I then used the next recommendation to get my insurance excess separately.
    When I picked up the car, I was charged a total of 68Euro. When I asked why this was, considering my original quote, I was told there was 26Euro of car hire from the rental company (in this case SIXT) and 26Euro airport pick up fees. Then the $6 fee from E-Z rent a car.
    I have complained to E-Z but think people should be aware of these fees - they were never explained when I made the reservation.
  • Poucant
    Options
    Need a car for 14 days in Orlando.

In an attempt to see if the net was cheaper (and as reputable) as the Co-op, I went to rentalcars.com. Then, after reading a dozen or so pages of this thread, I went to Carhire3000. IT'S THE SAME FIRM.

Anyone been to Orlando lately and can recommend please?
  • wozwebs
    wozwebs Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Poucant wrote: »
    Need a car for 14 days in Orlando.

In an attempt to see if the net was cheaper (and as reputable) as the Co-op, I went to rentalcars.com. Then, after reading a dozen or so pages of this thread, I went to Carhire3000. IT'S THE SAME FIRM.

Anyone been to Orlando lately and can recommend please?

Looking myself too for October. Don't forget new law also just came in that you need a permit for driving there. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4444395&highlight=orlando

Alamo looks good to me and has 12% Quidco on at the moment
  • Bullfinch
    Options
    I am hiring a car in France in June for 12 days. I have done this before and always found Martin's guide invaluable. However this time I remembered that as a member of the AA I can get 10% off Hertz plus a free additional driver. This worked out approximately £40 cheaper than using the cheapest quotes on the searches Martin suggests. I was quite surprised at this and wonder if it should get a mention in Martin's guide to car hire.
  • paulahughes1
    Options
    We have just got back from Florida, renting a car hire from Orlando Airport, we used a company called Indigo Car Hire.

The main attraction to book with Indigo, was the fact they were able to hire a car to me with my Visa debit card, as all other companies required a credit card which is something i do not have. Also the price was very good, and it included my husband to drive at no extra cost. All seemed a little too good to be true, and was a little nervous about collecting the car. But honestly all was perfect. Drove over 1200 miles in the car without any problems.

We are going to Spain in the summer and Indigo will be the 1st company we contact.

Anyway worth a try :-) :j
  • mcc100
    mcc100 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2013 at 12:34AM
    Options
    We have just got back from Florida, renting a car hire from Orlando Airport, we used a company called Indigo Car Hire.

The main attraction to book with Indigo, was the fact they were able to hire a car to me with my Visa debit card, as all other companies required a credit card which is something i do not have. Also the price was very good, and it included my husband to drive at no extra cost. All seemed a little too good to be true, and was a little nervous about collecting the car. But honestly all was perfect. Drove over 1200 miles in the car without any problems.

We are going to Spain in the summer and Indigo will be the 1st company we contact.

Indigo are certainly given 5 stars by reviewers.

Unfortunately, virtually every reviewer is a first time poster .... as are you.

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.indigocarhire.co.uk
  • mcc100
    mcc100 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

How many Paula Hughes are there ?

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/users/2337377
  • mercurystar999
    Options
    I've been searching for a car for around a month on and off. It's from Barcelona airport and am getting really tired of looking!

It seems you either go for a company and pay perhaps an extra 40 - 50 pound for a car with a return with same amount of fuel policy or risk going with one of the other cars that give no indication of the cost of the fuel! I'm going to probably use a tank full so will probably go for the cheaper option as i can't see them charging £40 more than it costs for the fuel.

Really is a no win situation though and needs MSE to re write there guide and hopefully get some transparency
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback