Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scofra wrote: »
    The actual flight took off at 17:45 and landed at 19:32 (3/4hr flying time), but passengers didn't arrive into the airport for another 20mn-1/2hr due to bus transfer...!!!

What time does flightstats show as the recorded arrival time? My understanding is that flightstats uses landing time as arrival time
    If they report then 19:32 t looks like your delay would be counted as
    2 hours and 27 minutes
  • Jd1411
    Jd1411 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I flew from LGW to Rome FCO on 6/7/14 and our flight was delayed by 2hrs5mins. We sat on the runway for 2hr41 minutes and were given 1/4 cup of water each. Reasons for delay were that the cabin crew were 10mins late in preparing the aircraft and after that we were sent a replacement pilot as they were about to run out of flying hours. We missed our coach into Rome and had to spend €55 on a taxi where we were almost refused entry to our hotel for missing the 9.30pm check in deadline.

Our flight home on 9/7/14 was delayed for 1hr52mins as the aircraft was late leaving London.

I'm about to make a 16hr trip to Western Africa later this year and I was going to fly BA... Very put off now.

Given that both of my flights were delayed, can I claim for compensation? Could I mention future flights booked and ask for a discount/upgrade to compensate?

Thanks! Should I tailor the template letter, or leave it generic?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jd1411 - you have no legitimate claim for compensation as your flight delays did not exceed 180 minutes. You could write to BA and point out to them you had problems with their service on the last two flights in the hope your next one will not have similar problems and you may receive an improved service - there again you may not!
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jd1411 wrote: »
    Given that both of my flights were delayed, can I claim for compensation? Could I mention future flights booked and ask for a discount/upgrade to compensate?

Thanks! Should I tailor the template letter, or leave it generic?

Have a look at the thread "Flight Delay Compensation Important Info - Please check before posting"

Feel free to come back if there is anything not covered there.
  • 06frankie
    Options
    Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice before I claim compensation from BA.

My husband and I with two kids were flying from Glasgow to Gatwick to Tampa a couple of weeks ago.

The first flight was delayed by 3 hours which meant our connection would be missed. BA rerouted us on a US airlines flight via Philadelphia which was then delayed by three and a half hours meaning that the initial booked connection was missed.

We were then placed on another internal flight and eventually got to Tampa 4 hours and 5 mins later than initially advised.

Can you advise who I should claim against? Is it BA or US? and is it one claim? We had been up since 3.30am and got to our destination hotel at 3am the next morning (UK time).

thanks in advance
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is one claim, against BA. They re-routed you on a flight that arrived over four hours later than your original flight was scheduled (have I understood that right?). If so BA owe you €600 per fee paying passenger.
  • 06frankie
    Options
    thanks Vauban will let you know how I get on - I have a feeling this is going to be difficult...
  • bumrah
    bumrah Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,
    I'd like some advice please....
    I recently travelled to China with my wife. Our flight to Chengdu from LHR was cancelled due to a "technical fault" (although given that my colleague travelled the next day and the flight was three quarters empty and 15% of flights on that route have been cancelled since it started in May this year, I think it was cancelled because it was underbooked)

Anyway, the flights were booked through a travel agent and when I phoned them to ask to be re-booked on an alternative flight, they said that BA would not be able to offer any alternatives and I would have to cancel and re-book. As I was travelling for work I felt I had no alternative than to do this and ended up paying an extra 1900 GBP for the flights!

I have since been trying to get BA to refund this difference as they are unable to explain why they were unable to book me on any other flight, despite the other flights patently being underbooked, and they are also refusing to offer me compensation under E261/2004 regulations.

From my understanding of the law, BA are obliged to pay the compensation and in terms of a refund, that's for me to fight out with them?!

Does this all make sense? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rory
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bumrah wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'd like some advice please....
    I recently travelled to China with my wife. Our flight to Chengdu from LHR was cancelled due to a "technical fault" (although given that my colleague travelled the next day and the flight was three quarters empty and 15% of flights on that route have been cancelled since it started in May this year, I think it was cancelled because it was underbooked)

Anyway, the flights were booked through a travel agent and when I phoned them to ask to be re-booked on an alternative flight, they said that BA would not be able to offer any alternatives and I would have to cancel and re-book. As I was travelling for work I felt I had no alternative than to do this and ended up paying an extra 1900 GBP for the flights!
    I am not sure why you contacted the travel agent for rebooking. Assuming this was within 24 hours of the flight BA have full control of your booking and, under EU regulations are required to rebook you. Did you speak to BA at the airprort? Which airline did you book the replacement flights with?

I have since been trying to get BA to refund this difference as they are unable to explain why they were unable to book me on any other flight, despite the other flights patently being underbooked, and they are also refusing to offer me compensation under E261/2004 regulations.
    Did BA confirm first hand that they were not able to rebook you or was this via you agent

From my understanding of the law, BA are obliged to pay the compensation and in terms of a refund, that's for me to fight out with them?!
    Assuming the cancellation reason was not outside BA's control and you were given less than 14 days notice then you are due €600 each for the cancellation

some questions above, it does seem strange that, especially since you were in Heathrow, they were not able to rebook you on another carrier or at least offer their flight the next day
  • Donny_fan
    Donny_fan Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to let you know of a success story. My claim to BA for a 15 hour delay in Dalaman, Turkey in 2009 has not been contested. Received my cheque within a month of making my claim! 4 x 400 Euros! Still fighting my Vegas delay, will be going to a NWNF when I get the chance. Thanks for all the help on here.

T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure